a4 1.8 tqs project

Sure I saw your red Onion on stand.

I took my Mrs Fiesta EcoBoost up for the jaunt and tried to play keep up with a mates 330bhp Mk1 Focus RS. Some chaps say thanks to their ladies with flowers.... Not me, I got mine a nice set of 17's.

DSC_1280_zpszvrezdvc.jpg

Should of popped over and said herrrrow bud

best way to treat the Mrs if you ask me ;) sadly mine didn't think the same lol

Did manage to break the onion on the way home though (coming out of silverstone)haha

Would have done mate but didn't see anybody around the car at the time. How's the good old Silverstone Sunburn? LoL

Bummer breaking it though, what broke?

Yep mandatory silverstone sunburn haha very red neck and arms

Gave it some beans just before the bridge as your leaving and the alternator decided to sheer its top mount off :sos:

Looking for another one of these now , as my one needs so much doing to it so will most likely end up breaking the green one

One on eBay I'm very interested in at the mo , nice black one with 215k on the clock haha

That black A4 does look tidy, I wish I'd opted for a black one

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Does my car have a dmf , trying to find out without having to take gearbox out

You probably won't know until you take it off

Well sadly the clutch got worse :( needed a car desperately so bought a cheap fiesta

Not sure what to do with the a4 at the moment as it needs so much
Doing to it :( shame because I really do like the car and enjoy driving it so much

Can see it getting up to around £1600 to fix ,which probably makes it not worth doing

Needs :
Clutch kit
Dmf
Ns front wheel bearing
Both rear wheel bearings
Nearly every busy on the car
Front discs and pads
Rear discs and pads
Abs module ( mines beyond repair apparently) can't find another one anywhere atm
Timing chain rattle
Water pump leaking ( changed when cambelt was done before I bought it )

And that's just the bits to get it mechanically right

And the damage sorting out from the bloke who drove into me
Boot lid
Bumper
Bumper beam
Bumper shocks

Real shame the car was neglected so bad by previous owner

I think the problem is, unless you buy one thats sorted, they'll ALL need every bush done, bearings are simple enough to do when you've got it stripped for the bushes.

Brakes arent expensive.

The engine bits are easy sorted when you do the clutch.

Unless you buy an expensive one thats had a lot of work done, i suspect your probably better off just fixing it, unless the bodywork damage is too severe.

Yea had a go at getting a couple of other tqs a4's but been messed about by both of them

I want to keep it ,just unsure whether I can justify spending that much on it
I get what you mean with they all need the bushes etc by now

Find the same thing on the jags I work on every day , and a lot of them end the same way as my a4 because they haven't had the bits they have needed over the years due to the prices of some genuine parts but they get to the point you can't give them away

Probably going to park the a4 up for a bit and decide what to do with it lol

Would be nice to collect all the parts for it and do it all in one hit before it goes back on the road

can always do an end at a time.

I had a similar issue with my dads recently. He bought a cheap TQS a year or two back, run it for a bit and had done the brakes when we got it, but it was needing a clutch soonish, the flywheel was juddering, and a few of the front arms were knocking like mad. Then the waterpump failed causing it to overheat and basically meant it was unusable.

So ended up pulling the engine, fitting a new flywheel and clutch (luckily i had a flywheel that was nearly new sitting), new water pump, new timing belt and tensioner set, etc. fitted some replacement bottom arms and a new gear linkage while i was there and the changes completely transformed the car.

Sure, it was probably 600quids worth of bits, but its better spending 600quid to fix that car with new parts, than to bin it and buy another one for 700quid thats in need of just as much work!

It helps that i had a lot of spares though!

IMG 1129
Are front and rear wheel bearings the same ?

Also picked up some bits off slepy on here yesterday ( cheers again slepy)
IMG 1108
IMG 1109

S4 rear bumper
S4 skirts
S4 door trims
Boot lid
New scuttle panel
Abs module

More soon

Reactions: slepy
I was after that ABS module

Anyone got a clue on the wheel bearings ^^^^ ?

Ahhh ok I need 2 rear bearings and 1 front so might aswell do all 4

Also what clutches are people running ? Sachs any good ?

Ahhh ok I need 2 rear bearings and 1 front so might aswell do all 4

Also what clutches are people running ? Sachs any good ?

Should've asked earlier . Will Have rear hubs with new bearings and bushes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much bud lol what else have you got suspension wise ?

Abs fault sorted
Temperature gauge fault sorted
Gave it a wash , and cleaned inside
Just finished doing discs and pads all round on a mates fwd a4 1.8t , was amazed how different they are , drive like a completely different car and constantly tries to break traction.....conclusion = I love my Quattro

Need to get on with getting the wheel bearings and suspension issues sorted
Then get the bodywork sorted and get the bits I've bought fitted
Can't wait to have this all done

Fuel consumption question time

My car has just drank petrol since I bought it , 16mpg !!! No matter how you drive it , 54 miles to £20 and about 160 miles on a full tank

Originally thought it was the ect sensor as my temp gauge wasn't working either , I have since replaced the sensor which got the gauge working but still guzzling fuel :/

I've cleaned Maf best I can , new air filter ,checked all intake and turbo hoses and looked for any vac lines split

Now left thinking lambda or wrong Maf readings

I need to invest in Vagcom I think

Isn't displaying a engine light at all though.

I know these cars aren't the best on fuel but a 4.0l supercharged straight six jaguar from work is doing 17 mpg !

Anyone got any clues ?

Cheers in advance

I've Done some bits on the old girl

New silicone turbo intake hose as mine was split
New drivers window motor
Brembo front disks and brembo pads
Eicher rear disks and pads
both front wheel bearings
New scuttle panel
Got to do more tomorrow

Rear stabiliser links
Front anti roll bar bushes
Fuel filter
Oil and filter change ( how much oil do these have ? )

Anyone got any tips on how to do the fuel filter ,looks like a right ****

IMG 1270

Didn't enjoy fighting the first upright off , had to drill out a hub bolt because some plum had rounded it off in a previous life
IMG 1271

Shiny new one
IMG 1272
IMG 1273

More soon

Just use something to pry the tank out a bit . Piece of wood or similar. Fiddly but doable especially on a ramp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

about 4.5L of oil if you use the later spec filter (Mahle OC470 or equiv)
The factors will sell you the ****** smaller filter, you dont want that.

Progress with the old girl

Fitted a new fuel filter and ac tensioner
Got my miltek fitted

buying brads recaro interior off him and was wondering is this a bolt in and plug and play jobbie?
Also bought the rear diff carrier off him
Going to order ttv flywheel end of the month and new clutch kit

And shes going into bodyshop next month to have s4 rear bumper , boot lid ,skirts and door trims painted

So all in all it's coming along

Where abouts are you located

Happy days then bolt straight in :)

And I'm in Norfolk evilsnow , why bud ?

Why you ask fella
Trying to see if anyone with a TQS is local to me, any B5's around my area (Loughton, Essex)
Are either beaten to s**t or old work horses

Thats just how it goes. They're old cars and the vast majority arent all that exciting. Its apparent even just being on this forum. When i started on here 7 years ago, it was busy, you could get a page full of posts in a day. The majority of folk who are "into cars" have moved on to newer things now, and some days theres zero posts...

Its a target market issue i think. Its not a hot hatch, so doesnt appeal to the younger types who want a fast car but might have limited income so are looking at older models, they'll buy an A3 or S3 instead.

The B5 section of SRS is still fairly active, which makes sense as the S cars are that little bit more special, hold more appeal and value etc.

Reactions: mikeyorion and EvilSnow
Trying to see if anyone with a TQS is local to me, any B5's around my area (Loughton, Essex)
Are either beaten to s**t or old work horses

Ahhh fair play fella , if I ever come down that way will have to give you a look

Still a few b5s in Norfolk , few nice loved ones aswell , there is atleast 3 other tqs I've seen while I'm out and about around Norwich

But I think your right Aragon they have a very small following compared to the more recognised models

Thinking of getting a sport cat as my cat has a crack in the ceramic inside , will the car need tuning afterwards ?

Is there much advantage of a sport cat over a de-cat other than the obvious legal side of things ?

it wont need tuning, no. Depends how good your existing map is though, if its a bit marginal the extra flow etc might upset it.

I went with a sport cat because i cant be ***** with the annual hassle of sorting an MOT when the car wont pass the emissions etc. Theres also a risk that you'll get stopped by a roadside check, and VOSA have the power to prohibit you from driving the car if they're not happy about something. Deliberate tampering with emissions equipment doesnt go down well. Then the health/environmental benefits.

The difference to power is negligible.

it wont need tuning, no. Depends how good your existing map is though, if its a bit marginal the extra flow etc might upset it.

I went with a sport cat because i cant be ***** with the annual hassle of sorting an MOT when the car wont pass the emissions etc. Theres also a risk that you'll get stopped by a roadside check, and VOSA have the power to prohibit you from driving the car if they're not happy about something. Deliberate tampering with emissions equipment doesnt go down well. Then the health/environmental benefits.

The difference to power is negligible.
Thanks for that it's a stock tune ATM but hoping to change that haha

Few more bits done on the old thing
Fitted a pair of front drive shafts as fine were fubar
Fitted rear uprights that had new bearingsand bushes in and fitted the upper wishbones with new bushes
Was amazed how knackered the bushes were lol
IMG 1438
IMG 1439
IMG 1440
IMG 1441

Anyone know if TT 18" wheels will fit mine ?
They say rs4 in the advert aswell but google suggests they are 5x100