A4 1.9tdi 2001 Running Bad Juddering(spluttering)

audihull

Reaction score
hi all i have an audi a4 1.9tdi year 2001 and have got a problem with it . a couple of weeks ago when first starting it i would turn it over as normal it would sort of start up and then cut out straight away so i would turn off and turn back on again and i would have to turn it over for like 2 minutes i thought the battery would go flat it takes that long and then it would sort of splutter and start up (only when i pumped the accelerator) then it would be fine. it seemed like it would only happen if i tried starting it without putting my foot down on the pedal a touch. also now it has started constantly juddering (spluttering) really bad in every gear sort of like kangarooing and then i can get to 40mph and sort of get it running fine. this seems alot worse in the morning when the car is cold. now i have gone to a local garage and he cant seem to find the problem yet he as plugged in to computer and there is no error codes i cant really afford to pay audi prices so i was hoping somebody may have had this problem with there own or any mechanics may be able to tell us the possible problems so i can pass the info on to the guy at garage. cheers in advance
also forgot to mention when in idle the car is shaking like rocking side to side quite bad until u put your foot down on accelerator and rev it then it stops the guy at garage says its running on 3 cylinders then goes on to 4 ? does this sound like anything i dont no anything about car engines ??

The symptoms suggest to me a number of things.

1. Bad injector
2. Split pipe / leak
3. Blocked EGR Valve

Don't drive it if you can help it. I think you might be doing more damage.
Are you a member of the AA or similar? Give them a call and tell them you're having driveability issues... these blokes will no doubt deal with issues like this on a daily basis.

If you can located the pipe on your car which your EGR is connected to, and remove it you should be able to check this yourself and determine if the EGR is the problem.

hi all i have an audi a4 1.9tdi year 2001 and have got a problem with it . a couple of weeks ago when first starting it i would turn it over as normal it would sort of start up and then cut out straight away so i would turn off and turn back on again and i would have to turn it over for like 2 minutes i thought the battery would go flat it takes that long and then it would sort of splutter and start up (only when i pumped the accelerator) then it would be fine. it seemed like it would only happen if i tried starting it without putting my foot down on the pedal a touch. also now it has started constantly juddering (spluttering) really bad in every gear sort of like kangarooing and then i can get to 40mph and sort of get it running fine. this seems alot worse in the morning when the car is cold. now i have gone to a local garage and he cant seem to find the problem yet he as plugged in to computer and there is no error codes i cant really afford to pay audi prices so i was hoping somebody may have had this problem with there own or any mechanics may be able to tell us the possible problems so i can pass the info on to the guy at garage. cheers in advance
also forgot to mention when in idle the car is shaking like rocking side to side quite bad until u put your foot down on accelerator and rev it then it stops the guy at garage says its running on 3 cylinders then goes on to 4 ? does this sound like anything i dont no anything about car engines ??
Hi
Try something simple before you hand it over to a garage. Check my thread for more info. If it doesn't work for you, at least you can eliminate one issue and do it for virtually free.. Good luck.