A4 2.0 TDi Ultra Sport belt interval

setdet

Reaction score
Thank you for the add.
I have searched the forum and found varying responses to the question "Timing belt interval" in relation to miles although many suggest 5 year interval albeit different views on actual mileage interval ranging from 60k to 135k - that's a big difference.
I am considering buying a 2017 A4 20.0 TDi Ultra Sport that has 79K on the clock, and wondered if this engine has a timing chain or belt, and whether it needs changing now or if not when.
I appreciate this is a common question but not being a car expert in any shape or form, I have read differing answers to this question and it seems different years/engines use different hardware (chains/belts) so I am a little confused and perhaps someone can kindly clear it up here for me.
Thank you

I believe this is 'B9' (after doing much searching) - sorry if wrong forum.

Definitely 5 years or sooner for big mileage. We had already done over 60k. Had ours done with the water pump. The Audi app tells you under service. I have the same model

I’ll double check my receipts. I have DETA engine. Think from memory it’s belt but I’ll double check.

Last edited:
Yes your car is a B9 2.0 TDI and definitely has a cam belt.

I've seen a lot of posts where people always quote 5 years for a renewal, but I don't know where this comes from. I've seen posts where people with low mileage cars are getting it done at like 28k or something, simply because 5 years are up. But that seems very early to me, I mean are these belts made from much inferior materials than they used to be? 8-10 years used to be the norm, sometimes longer. I'm sure its just dealers generating lucrative work for themselves with the scare story of what will happen if it goes, and planting that niggling doubt in your mind if your vehicle is approaching that age.

Obviously everyone knows the risks of leaving it too long and suffering catastrophic engine damage, but 5 years is nothing for an average mileage vehicle that has been maintained correctly.

In the myAudi app for my vehicle it doesn't give a time interval it just says under Service Topics>Additional work to renew the camshaft toothed belt every 140,000 miles, which to be honest seems a bit long.

Gosh, difference of opinion even on this thread. Mmm, 00
Yes your car is a B9 2.0 TDI and definitely has a cam belt.

I've seen a lot of posts where people always quote 5 years for a renewal, but I don't know where this comes from. I've seen posts where people with low mileage cars are getting it done at like 28k or something, simply because 5 years are up. But that seems very early to me, I mean are these belts made from much inferior materials than they used to be? 8-10 years used to be the norm, sometimes longer. I'm sure its just dealers generating lucrative work for themselves with the scare story of what will happen if it goes, and planting that niggling doubt in your mind if your vehicle is approaching that age.

Obviously everyone knows the risks of leaving it too long and suffering catastrophic engine damage, but 5 years is nothing for an average mileage vehicle that has been maintained correctly.

In the myAudi app for my vehicle it doesn't give a time interval it just says under Service Topics>Additional work to renew the camshaft toothed belt every 140,000 miles, which to be honest seems a bit long.
What's the MyAudiapp?

Gosh, difference of opinion even on this thread. Mmm, 00

What's the MyAudiapp?

I don't disagree with anyone wanting to get the cam belt changed at 5 years. If you did a big annual mileage it will probably fall into that time scale anyway. For more average mileage, like 10-12K per year, personally I wouldn't bother.
But if it's your car, your money, your risk etc., you might prefer to get it done. I just don't know where the 5 year thing comes from.

The myAudi app is available through Audi Connect, which all A4s come with for at least 3 months, or 3 years if the tech pack was included. It gave you additional features like being able to send destinations to the satnav and access to service record. Often the 3 months were extended FOC by Audi but I think they've stopped doing that now. After 3 years it has to be paid for I believe. Personally I just use Apple Carplay instead.

I don't disagree with anyone wanting to get the cam belt changed at 5 years. If you did a big annual mileage it will probably fall into that time scale anyway. For more average mileage, like 10-12K per year, personally I wouldn't bother.
But if it's your car, your money, your risk etc., you might prefer to get it done. I just don't know where the 5 year thing comes from.

The myAudi app is available through Audi Connect, which all A4s come with for at least 3 months, or 3 years if the tech pack was included. It gave you additional features like being able to send destinations to the satnav and access to service record. Often the 3 months were extended FOC by Audi but I think they've stopped doing that now. After 3 years it has to be paid for I believe. Personally I just use Apple Carplay instead.
Ah thank you for the clarification on Audi connect. The car I'm buying is next door neighbor, he's had his licence revoked on medical grounds and selling his car cheap to me. I only do 5k a year top, yes not enough to warrant diesel but the purchase price is less that equivalent petrol.
So it's done 79k, reg may 2017 so I'll change the belt and that will give me what ... another 5 years (I won't do the mileage so I imagine it's time bound) ?

Definitely change it and the water pump. Small price to pay for peace of mind. You don’t want a paperweight for a Audi A4.