A4 2.0 TFSI Tuning box recommendation

drseeall

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum. I've searched but not found an answer.

I've had an A6 Avant 1.9 TDI (130ps) for many years but just recently swopped to a 2011 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI (211ps) with just 4000 miles on the clock.

I love the extra performance but I'm not so keen on the lower mpg :( [ I do know I can't have both!!!! ]

I've been looking at a ECU (Tri-core) remap, but for a few reasons (including concerns over warranty) I have decided against it and am now looking at a removable tuning box instead. I'm more interested in improving mpg rather than power/torque.

Can anyone recommend one for the turbo petrol engine? I'm not looking at the very cheap "resistor" boxes but the likes of these:-

Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 200 BHP / 147kW Petrol & Diesel Chip Tuning Boxes

Chiptuning for Audi A4 2.0 TFSI – RaceChip Chiptuning

detail - professionelles Chiptuning von DTE

Any others? Comments, please?

Thanks

Has no one here got a tuning box on a 2.0 TFSI that can offer any advice?

I think most petrol heads go down the remap route buddy.
Tuning boxes tend to be more for diesel motors, just fitted a DTUK one to our A5 2.0tdi and woulda recommended you to them if you had the diesel lump in yours.

Yes, I understand the diesels are far more suited to remapping and/or tuning box.

But are tuning boxes for petrol a definite no-no?

Would I get better mpg if I went for a remap? As I said, I'm more interested in improving economy rather than better/faster performance. From what I've read economy improvement on the petrol motors may be negligible. Is that right?

My thinking is that a remap increases BHP in both diesel and petrol cars. Increased BHP generally means a decrease in MPG in petrol cars as people tend to have a heavier right boot. Any car, driven like Miss Daisy will get better improved MPG, tyres inflated correctly can add MPG, motorway / longer journeys increase MPG etc etc... Difficult one mate really.

Yes, I understand the diesels are far more suited to remapping and/or tuning box.

But are tuning boxes for petrol a definite no-no?

Would I get better mpg if I went for a remap? As I said, I'm more interested in improving economy rather than better/faster performance. From what I've read economy improvement on the petrol motors may be negligible. Is that right?

I dont think a tuning box works of the B8 2.0 TFSi. The ECU is effectively locked. To get it remapped the ECU needs to be removed and the map done directly to the ECU chip. At least it did on mine. As for you cant have both (performance and economy) you can if you have a diesel. It then depends on how you drive after you have the diesel chipped/mapped/box. Take it easy and you should find slightly elevated economy. Put the foot down and it will respond much better.

The remap on my 2.0 TFSi certainly hasnt made the economy any worse.

Thanks for all your comments.

I'm driving "like Miss Daisy" ATM. If I have the proper remap and try to continue driving "like Miss Daisy" what percentage improvement in mpg could I expect? ie if the style of driving is unchanged.

However, I expect that with the increased BHP there will be a huge incentive to "put the foot down" and mpg could well decrease. Is this more likely?

Can those with a remap comment on if/how it changed their driving style.

Cheers

Last edited:
You will see very little change when driven normally. maybe a slight increase. I saw about a 6mpg difference at best for the better. However a remap is for more power and hence some are likely to give it the berries a lot more. I wouldnt say my mpg is any worse than prior to the remap even when i put the foot down. It hasnt changed my driving style at all. I just have more power when i go for an overtake. Mid range 30 to 80 mph time is greatly improved and that was wht i was looking for. Top end speed etc is a pointless discussion on our roads.

Wow, 6 mpg improvement would be good. That would be around 15% better for me, as ATM, I'm getting between 35 and 40 mpg depending upon the route. Brim to brim calculation - not relying on computer.

I thought that 12-15% was the figure the diesel boys could expect. It is encouraging that the TFSI could acheive the same. :)

Has anyone else the same experience?

35 to 40 is about what i am getting now. I am unsure if the fuel economy improvement was maybe more to do with the engine 'loosening' rather than the remap....

To be honest I am unsure why you are trying to achieve minimal MPG gains that will only save you a few pounds

35-40mpg as you say you are getting is extremely high for a 2.0 petrol engine.I

I have averaged 23mpg over the last 6 months in the cold winter conditions in my 2.0 TFSI S3.

If MPG is what you wanted then you needed to buy a TDI or a more appropriate engine/car combo

As for tuning boxes, petrol engines are not like diesels, you can not just plug a tuning box into the common fuel rail etc

The cost of a remap would probably outweigh any advantage it would bring you, and might just tempt you to put your foot down more.

If you are really obsessed with improving MPG, try using shell fuelsave. Or V-power (but obviously the cost of v-power outweighs the MPG advantage)

And minimise weight, air con, open windows and drive eco. Tip, let the car slow down in gear, do not pop it into neutral thinking it will save you fuel, it uses more than when the transmission speed is reducing engine load.

:)

I think to be honest mate you are expecting the wrong sort of performance from the 2.0tfsi.

35-40mpg i'd say is very, very good going for that engine! Gone are the days of your high 50's mpg PD130. Mine too

Although +1 for MOAR POWAA.... and just tweak your fuel budget to suit it.

If you wanted decent MPG a 3.0TDi is a good compromise. Mine is an avant, heavy big wagon, and I get 35 - 45mpg. (Seen 48mpg at one point) itll be remapped soon to +300bhp.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk