A4 2.0TDI 134bhp/170bhp - Experiences & Results from Remapping?

Springer*

Reaction score
Hi there,

Looking at a possible change of car in the not too distant future and I quite like the early A4 B8 Black Edition (2011) Avant models that are now going for very reasonable money.

There are plenty of lower-powered 134bhp models on offer too for quite a lot less than the 170bhp and later facelift 175bhp models.

I was wondering though what the main differences are between the 134bhp and 170bhp models? Does the lower-powered car just have a smaller turbo and that's it or are there other mechanical differences?

Also, once I got the car and gave it a good going over (decent service, gearbox oil change, strip down and clean of EGR and intake manifold etc.) I'd be looking at remapping it, mainly as I spend a lot of time with the car 4 or 5 up and wouldn't want it to feel slow and gutless.

I've seen the likes of Celtic Tuning quoting that a mild remap of the 134bhp engine car get it up to circa 175bhp & 270lb/ft and their 'stage one' map will get you to circa 200bhp & 300lb/ft which would be more than enough for me to make the car a bit more driveable without compromising reliability.

Has anyone out there tried this and what were their experiences? Is it realistic to think that you could remap the 134bhp car to around 170bhp spec for a relatively small outlay and still have a solid, reliable car that won't just start falling to bits?

Or would I be far better off just looking for a 170bhp model and having done with it?

J:)

I don't have any experience driving either of those engines, but it sounds to me like you know you want around 170bhp - either by remapping a lower powered car, or just buying a 170bhp.

If it was me, I would probably just buy the more powerful one - I've nothing against mapping (mine is) but when you come to sell I imagine most people will avoid / pay less for a mapped 134bhp, so you'll probably end up reducing the overall difference in cost at that point (plus you haven't had to spend money on a map, notify insurance your car is modified etc etc).

Finally, if you do ever decide that 170bhp isn't quite enough for you (they are quite heavy cars, overtaking won't be easy), you always have the option of mapping the 170 up to 200+ or whatever they go to.

Just my 2c worth :)

Reactions: jdp1962
If you are going down the manual route, be prepared to constantly replace the clutch and dual mass flywheel as it barely copes with 136bhp.

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all for a re-map then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

I have the 143 bhp tdi avant, it’s a quick car, overtaking is never a problem, it cruses at a ton plus. I’d suggest you drive one to make your assessment.

My girlfriend has an A5 with the earlier 170bhp engine in, its a great engine with enough power for daily driving.

There is the option to remap which would see 205-215bhp but at the moment she’s more than happy with it standard. The option to jump past 200 makes it the one to go for in my opinion.

I previously mapped my A4 TDI 143bhp & A5 TDI 170bhp, both to Stage1 using Superchips BluFin, Stage1 made such a difference to both cars, although not a patch on my present Stage1 S5. :racer: :whistle2:

JG

If you are going down the manual route, be prepared to constantly replace the clutch and dual mass flywheel as it barely copes with 136bhp.

Seems strange this. I'm assuming its a completely different clutch set-up to the earlier PD engined cars then? My B6 PD130 Quattro did 190k on its original clutch and DMF and was often driven hard.

Is it a smaller clutch/DMF set up than the 170bhp car?

J:)

I own a 170 black edition, it pulls like a train compared with my previous car (140 TDI B7 Cabrio), I think the main difference is the turbo, its variable vane on the 170 so the power band is lower, almost get instant power

I think in the smaller engines they use standard turbos which I had in my cabrio

Hi. I have a 2009 A4 TDI. The 170bhp model. I got in touch with Celtic Tuning and they did the stage 1 remap utilising all the standard components. The power output went up to 230bhp with a similar large jump in torque figures. This was done 3 yrs ago ish and I have never had a problem...

Reactions: Ewan Reffin
I bought the 134hp around 4 months ago, and recently took it to a local Audi approved dealer for a stage 1. The difference in performance is immense. Still very good on fuel when distance driving, so I recommend that from a personal view.

Hi. I have a 2009 A4 TDI. The 170bhp model. I got in touch with Celtic Tuning and they did the stage 1 remap utilising all the standard components. The power output went up to 230bhp with a similar large jump in torque figures. This was done 3 yrs ago ish and I have never had a problem...

Yes, Ive just had this done by them 2 weeks ago with a local dealer. Highly recommended upgrade! I replaced my 320d coupe with this car, and that was remapped as well. The a4 is bigger, but the performance level feels similar.

I have the 150bhp 2.0 TDI engine in my 2015 A4 and have been considering a stage 1 map. My only concern is putting more stress on the Multritonic gear box but I am not sure whether my concerns are valid.

Anyone got previous experience, good or bad?

I own a 170 black edition, it pulls like a train compared with my previous car (140 TDI B7 Cabrio)

Same here. Previous car was a B7 140 TDi, now have a B8.5 177 Quattro and the difference is like night & day.

Had Revo stage 1 (210 ish horsepower) and its a fantastic daily driver!