A4 3.0tdi 'stage 2' review

Joe3.0tdi

Reaction score
As above i had my a4 tuned on friday by a local company - Fast Road Conversions in Ashford Kent.
I purchased an uprated intercooler from Darkside Developments which i had fitted along with a dpf and cat delete, rear silencers delete and an ecu remap.
The guys from Fast Road were great, even dropping me off to work and picking me up at the end of the day while they worked on the car!
End result is impressive performance and a nice sound track. Not as loud as id have thought considering its now straight through.
The way the car gathers speed now is addictive and three figure speeds are ridiculously easy to achieve.
All in all very pleased and would highly recommend them especially if you are local.

Reactions: ion2211 and desertstorm
They are good fun when mapped with a few mods, any idea on numbers did they put it on a dyno ?

Hi Karl.
No proof of numbers as such but mrc claim 310ps with map alone so i can only assume we hit around there..? A dyno session will be on the cards soon!
How is your car running on the hybrid? Worth the expense? Great build thread by the way!

Car is running well, hopefully being remapped again in a few weeks time as it's just running on the remap that was done for the standard turbo.

Ah ok. Does it feel quicker even on the previous map?
The wife and i found a quiet back road earlier and i got her to do a couple of lowish speed drive bys while i stood on the roadside...i take it back the car sounds savage now. You only hear 20% of the noise from inside the vehicle..prob a good thing!

It pulls better at the top end than it did on the standard turbo which is what I would expect. The VNT is fully open at around 4300 RPM and it's still making more boost than requested. Still pulls pretty good at the bottom end as well.
As regards the noise that's what I have found, If it sounds loud in the car it will be really loud outside, Find a nice multi storey or tunnel to drive it through and you will hear more of what it sounds like.

Darkside Developments do a hybrid, im awaiting a response to them at the mo. Who modified your turbo Karl?
Haha yes i shall keep an eye out for any noise enhancing enviroments!

I'm looking to go down that road in the future dpf gutted (leave cat) remove back boxes. Is the new intercooler necessary at this point? I imagine that would add a big chunk onto the total price

Oh out of curiosity, Is your car a manual or S tronic?

My turbo was modified by TDI Turbos who are down near Bournmouth. It's pretty much the same spec as the Darkside GTB2566VK with a twin ring AMG C30 turbine and a 66mm compressor.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TDi-Turbos/634884833251922
I bought a second hand turbo from German Ebay for around £250.
My car is a 6 speed manual.

Reactions: Joe3.0tdi
I'm looking to go down that road in the future dpf gutted (leave cat) remove back boxes. Is the new intercooler necessary at this point? I imagine that would add a big chunk onto the total price

Oh out of curiosity, Is your car a manual or S tronic?
Uprated intercooler isnt necessary it was more of a precaution as i wanted to keep charge temps down but it will be necessary for a larger turbo which is most prob my next step. Intercooler prob added £400 to my total bill. Mine is the s-tronic

Excellent thanks for the reply, no issues with your a tronic? I've recapped cars in the past and had some issues with clutch clip. Hopefully get mine done at the end of spring

Excellent thanks for the reply, no issues with your a tronic? I've recapped cars in the past and had some issues with clutch clip. Hopefully get mine done at the end of spring
No probs as of yet. I think they are stronger than is commonly thought. Mrc told me they stage one remap to700nm torque and even had obe running a hybrid turbo at 800nm all with no issues.
Im really pleased with the work i had done and it was very reasonable on the wallet too considering what i had done

My turbo was modified by TDI Turbos who are down near Bournmouth. It's pretty much the same spec as the Darkside GTB2566VK with a twin ring AMG C30 turbine and a 66mm compressor.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TDi-Turbos/634884833251922
I bought a second hand turbo from German Ebay for around £250.
My car is a 6 speed manual.
Thanks for the reply Karl,its handy to gather together potential options! Any idea when you'll get yours mapped again?

Excellent thanks for the feed back. Based on other posts on expend to pay about £700

Little update, bought a second turbocharger from ebay today. Plan is to turn it into a hybrid unit and remap the car again once its fitted. Big numbers hopefully soon! ☺

Reactions: desertstorm