A4 8K Avant MY2010 winter wheel downsize questions

mrose

Reaction score
Now we're nearly into summer and it's colder and wetter than it was in November I've been thinking about picking up a spare set of wheels a size down for next winter. It's much cheaper and easier to swap the entire wheel over twice a year than pop the tyres off the rims (as long as you have somewhere to store them). I've thrashed t'interet for offset and compatibility info and saw a few promising links to official Audi wheel compatibility charts from 2010 but they're already dead. I searched here but didn't find what I was looking for exactly. I have some stooped questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I have stock 17 x 8J with 245/45 R17

Thinking about stock 16 x 7.5J 225/55 R16 for winter use (or given the shocking state of the roads after all the winter/spring flooding I might even put them on now till the pot holes get some attention).

Questions:
1. Does anyone do this?
2. Does general handling change much? AFAIK the ride will be a tad softer and traction should be better on ice or slick wet with lower RR and slightly higher PSI contact but I'm in two minds if the benefit is worthwhile in our climate which is mostly mild.
3. I looked at the 2009/2010 brochure and noticed that the smallest wheel option on the A4 for MY2010 was R17 but the tyre pressure door plaque clearly states pressures for a range of 16" wheels/tyres.
4. Does anyone know if there is much of an offset difference between 8J and 7.5J wheels or anything else that should be taken into account like brake clearance? My guess is a couple of mm at most?
5. Why are Audi crap at publishing useful stuff like compatibility charts??
6. And Finally, is any of this worth the bleeding' effort?

If you got this far - thanks for reading!

I bought a second hand set of 17's for winter tyres and ran 225/50/17 tyres which is a recommended size.
You can go for 16 inch wheels as long as the front brakes on your car are no larger than 320mm .
There are 16 inch genuine alloys available and they will fit fine but you will probably find more 17 inch wheels available and I would have thought the tyre costs would be similar.
After the last very warm winter we had winter tyres would seem to be a waste of time but you never know what it's going to do next year.

Karl.

Reactions: mrose
This is the range of standard B8 wheel sizes:
WheelSizes_zps250f080e.jpg

I run the 17" contis on my car in Winter.

Reactions: mrose
Thanks Zafi. Where did that come from BTW?

My MY2010 stock (standard equipment - 8K0 601 025C) 17" 8J x 17 ET47 245/45 aren't on that list. Nor are the 7.5J x 16 ET45 225/55 (8K0601025A) that I'm thinking of buying. I've done a bit more digging and I've think I've figured out the difference in offset is 2mm but the wheel width difference is 0.5 inch so the 16" wheel is 0.5" narrower, will poke out 2mm more, and the tyre wall will be rounder so I can't see any snags - other than than they'll look a bit pony and little 'lost' in the wheel arch.

Dunno, I have had that list for years

I you have a wad burning a hole in your pocket.......
http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/RestOfSite/OwnersArea/WinterTyres/PDFs/a4.pdf

Not exactly a wad burning a hole but I can't seem to stop fiddling with the car. I've retrofitted ADS, puddle and warning lights, glove box light, and footwell lights tweaked as Ambience lighting since picking up the car in March. I'm looking into front parking sensors, DAB radio, and a remap at the moment. I can't seem to help myself.

I'm seeing a pattern there though with the wheels. The link you posted shows 16" wheels available for 2001 to 2007 cars and only shows B8/8K cars as having 17" and above/ The 2009/2010 brochure also only show 17" and above yet the drivers door on my MY2010 A4 clearly shows pressures for 16" wheels. I'm sure that 8K0601025A 16 x 7.5J exist in the A4 8K for 2008 and above as I see them here:

AUDI A4/AVANT [A4] (EUROPE) 2010: WHEELS, BRAKES: 60160. STEEL RIM; ALUMINIUM RIM; HUB CAP

I'm wondering if Audi never mention 16" in literature for A4 8K to avoid the hassle of customers as confused as I am over what will be a correct fit.