A4 Allroad rear underbody cut

jbee3

Reaction score
Hi there - I just got a really nice A4 Allroad but very stupidly didn't inspect the underneath of the car. However when I pulled into a garage yesterday an Audi salesman who was filling his car up came over to me and asked why I had the underneath metal protection cut. I then bent down and could see that the previous owner has cut into the metal underbody protection to enable a towbar to be fitted.

Do any of you know if this is standard or not very good? Or can it be repaired? I don't think it looks like something Audi would have done at the factory?

Best,

Justin Photo copy

My 2012 Allroad with factory fit removeable tow bar has this hole cut out too. Not the most elegant of solutions I agree!

Hi there - I just got a really nice A4 Allroad but very stupidly didn't inspect the underneath of the car. However when I pulled into a garage yesterday an Audi salesman who was filling his car up came over to me and asked why I had the underneath metal protection cut. I then bent down and could see that the previous owner has cut into the metal underbody protection to enable a towbar to be fitted.

Do any of you know if this is standard or not very good? Or can it be repaired? I don't think it looks like something Audi would have done at the factory?

Best,

JustinView attachment 18593

so it is a genuine factory fit option?

Definitely looks factory cut to me, its pretty poor tbh as other chassis have a clip in plate for the holes when not in use, is it so far under its not noticeable from the rear?

Hi,

the normal Avant has this too.
I questioned the dealer and stated that it looked a bit shabby and unfinshed and he just agreed!

Reactions: NHN
Good thing is, its underneath on a flat piece so hardly noticeable, I see the logic in this.

Good thing is, its underneath on a flat piece so hardly noticeable, I see the logic in this.

It's actually pretty noticable. I see it every time I pull out of my flat drive in my wife's car and think "That looks sh!te!"

Then get it fixed, plastic repair, fill, sand, primer, paint, job done :)

Then get it fixed, plastic repair, fill, sand, primer, paint, job done :)

Why should I have to get my hands dirty on a £35k + car?
Besides, it's a lease. It goes back in two years and I can get something decent.

At least by having the gap,you never see an A4 on the motorway with the rear valance "wobbling" like you do on many other makes of vehicle. Mondeos were especially prone to this.

Why should I have to get my hands dirty on a £35k + car?
Besides, it's a lease. It goes back in two years and I can get something decent.

Ah so its no that ***** then lmao.

Ah so its no that ***** then lmao.

I chose the Audi based on the Brand appeal as well as looks and IMHO the brand has not lived up to the hype.
Creaks, rattles, unfinished body parts, missing standard spec (glove box light anyone?) woeful MPG, underpowered, rubbish Audi Music Interface, stupid offset pedals and customer service that is just a joke.
I'm lucky that I'm in the position I'm in and can walk away.
Sorry if I've offended anyone but that's just how I feel having came from a couple of VWs and having passed the opportunity to go back to BMW.

Haven't you addressed any of these issues with your dealer, one would assume so by your comment of woeful CS?

What's wrong with the AMI, glovebox light missed of or not spec'd with?

You knew the mpg when you got the car surely, you also knew the power rating, so that maybe little unfair comment to make.

Unfinished body parts, expand please.

I'm not defending as a badge snob as I'm far from, just trying to understand your complaints properly.

Reactions: kanecullen89
Hi,

the normal Avant has this too.
I questioned the dealer and stated that it looked a bit shabby and unfinshed and he just agreed!

says the bloke with moss growing out the joints on his block paving ;)

Reactions: kanecullen89, johnnythepie, eob_BE and 2 others
LMAO that's funny.

Reactions: kanecullen89 and Audi Dynamik
says the bloke with moss growing out the joints on his block paving ;)

LMAO that's funny.

Err, yeah, hilarious. I'll get right on that once I get bored with life. :think:

With regards to the other post, yes, asked the dealer about the few niggles, they weren't really interested.
Don't want to hijack jbee3's thread but there have been a few things that have knocked my impression of the brand.
Still love the car to look at and drive tho'.

Damn we are a bit touchy aren't we, lighten up will you nobodies stolen your sweets here, we're just having a joke, see it as that & nothing else.

Reactions: johnnythepie
Oh I see! Oh, thats funny then. Nice one.
Yeah, at the end of the winter I get a bit of moss build up in between the mono blocks.
Usually sorted in Spring when I can get the Karacher out. Havn't been able to this year with work and all.
Still, anyway, back on topic, the big hole in the rear bumper just in case you might want to fit a towbar. Does anyone sell an aftermarket solution?

I have to confess that my 2013 black edition Avant which I ordered with a factory removeable tow bar has the rear bumper "cut out" as shown on this thread. I researched my options for a tow bar before placing my new car order as I did not want to run the risk of an unsightly bumper cut out for an after market fitment so chose the factory fit option. What a disappointment when I took delivery of my A4 Avant to discover a cut out with no cover! I expressed to the dealer how cheap and rather shoddy the finished article is and he too just shrugged his shoulders.

I was expecting a removeable cover as I had on my Q7 to protect the tow bar from winter crud and spray and can think of no other reason than a cost cutting one for not including one on the A4.

Reactions: eob_BE
Still, anyway, back on topic, the big hole in the rear bumper just in case you might want to fit a towbar?

Only cars that have - or once had - a detachable towbar will have that big hole. If the car was not ordered with a towbar there will be no hole in the bumper when it is delivered new.

Two similar new B8.5s Avants in Glasgow Audi forecourt and another in the showroom that I looked at with the service guy had same holes.
Out of interest, are there any B8.5 (or B8) avant owners on the forum that don't have the bumper hole?

I've a 2008 B8 S-line Avant and it didn't have the hole... it does now though as I've retro fitted the Audi towbar!

The rear valences dont come with the hole as standard, but the outline is marked on the inside so you can cut the hole if needed. My guess is that the cars on the forecourt with holes have had towbars.

I've a 2008 B8 S-line Avant and it didn't have the hole... it does now though as I've retro fitted the Audi towbar!

The rear valences dont come with the hole as standard, but the outline is marked on the inside so you can cut the hole if needed. My guess is that the cars on the forecourt with holes have had towbars.

But these were all new cars. Mine included.
Maybe someone at Glasgow Audi is just going nuts with a stanley knife, although mine was delivered from Dundee Audi. Maybe it's spreading.

Only cars that have - or once had - a detachable towbar will have that big hole. If the car was not ordered with a towbar there will be no hole in the bumper when it is delivered new.

Not true I'm afraid, mine was brand new and definitely not spec'd with a towbar and came with the big cut out as well. I think it looks terrible...

Reactions: eob_BE
Yes they do if they are facelift models.

Ah, mines a 2010 and I had to cut out the slot, as I did on a mate's.

I have not had the pleasure of crawling about under a facelifted B8, I have not spotted the fact that all facelifts have the hole...........

I don't think all facelifts have the hole... Isn't it just a simple matter of getting a new valance fitted sans hole?

As for the comment about no light in glovebox. Yes it's ****** annoying but it's because you didn't add the interior light package which gives you illuminated glovebox, front and rear footwells, vanity mirrors, air vents and door handles... only £150 and worth every penny if you want to find your way around the car at night! We don't have it either but didn't spec the car new :(

Having said that base level spec is way better than BMW without a doubt - I'm on my second Audi and second BMW so speak from experience!

I just noticed the hole as well - guess 'cause I bought the car in the dead of winter just before Xmas and it was always dark I never noticed it!!!

Because this morning I went out to put out the wheely bin and because the car was parked up on the kerb I saw the hole for the first time - I went WTF??? All these invented scenarios in my head started....was there a cover there and it has somehow dropped out on its own accord. I find myself looking at every B8 A4 now to see if they have a cover or not.

So am I right in saying, that if there is a towbar aperture, then there is no square cover to hide the hole?? Mines is just a standard SE, nothing fancy!

I have a 2014 brand new RS4 and no hole in that either but the bumper is obviously different.

I think the brand does ok, along with BMW, other brand owners complain about there better standard spec and the poor standard spec supplied on German cars but I would much rather have the engineering and development costs and pay for those nice to have extras than having a poorly engineer base product, thats what I pay for and happy to do so. Sorry, I am automotive enginner and have worked for most of them and see huge differences between comapnies and the research, develeopment, engineering & manufacturing.

With regards to CS, I had some bad expeiences from BMW, AUDI and MERC, my current Audi supplyer is very good (Bury St. Edmunds). They have really looked after me and I will return and recomend them. My friend even got discount on an A1 after she recomended them to me after my dissapointment in my local Audi dealer.

Well on my walk over to the shop for lunch, someone drove past in a brand new 15 plate A4, which looked like a basic SE, and it had the hole in the bottom of the bumper, so it must be right. That's saved me an embarrassing trip to the dealers to ask.....

I agree with GeoffDunk above, you get what you pay for with cars. Certainly the silly omissions like the glove compartment light do irritate, no doubt about that (my B7 A4 had a light AND a lock on the glovebox) .....but it hardly affects the resale value does it?

My Audi dealer has been a pleasure to deal with, I'm on my 4th car from them now and always found them to be great. One insider titbit I got was that Audi measure their dealers on the number of customer retentions, and the one I go to has apparently one of the highest in the country, so they must be doing something right.