A4 Allroad Winter Wheels

the_ace1982

Reaction score
Hi folks, i'm on the hunt for a set of winter wheels for my allroad so I can make full use of its potential this winter. Does anyone know if there was a factory option for winter wheels on the B8? Ideally i'll get the oem set and change out when the temp drops

Cheers!

The steel wheel will be your best bet in the winter. You can check out the internet for options. A suitable set of wheels and tires is always preferred in harsh weather conditions.

Thanks 1990rette, from the digging i've done the OEM winter wheel option appears to be a 17" alloy wheel with 225 55 17 tires. Swaying whether to keep an eye out for a set or go and get some Michelin Crossclimate 2's fitted

Genuine OE alloy wheels are hard to beat. I bought a set of A3 pepper-pots for my wife's then A2 with Dunlop winter tyres, then she opted for genuine 428 turbines for her now BMW i3 and Bridgestone Blizzak tyres.

I used to run steel wheels and winter tyres on a Škoda Fabia for 4 years and that involved using the Cairn o' Mount route to Dundee. I was using Khumo WinterCraft W51 tyres which I really rate. I did that until I was nearly side-swiped by a logging truck, and now use the more leisurely, but ultimately safer A90 route. The down side with steels is they will ultimately rust. They look fine new, but after a few seasons deteriorate pretty quickly as the design actually encourages sale-laden water to pool on the rim. When you work out refubishment costs of sandblasting and powder coating you're looking at least £200-300.

If you go for hybrid model and keep your existing 18" alloys, then Michelin CrossCimate 2 is a fantastic brand. I've been running the original CrossCimates for a couple of years. They are hard wearing, have low road noise and feel like they make a difference in snow, but will always be a compromise over a dedicated set of winter tyres.

Does the 17" alloy fit across B8 and B9 Allroad platforms?

These are available for B8, so still running 245/45 R18.

Thanks folks, I had no luck finding the winter wheels second hand so opted for Michelin Cross Climate 2's after reading some outstanding reviews of them! Grip is phenomenal in the wet and i'm looking forward to trying them out in the snow which can't be far away now