A4 Avant (B5 Chassis) Ice/interior questions

s11eps

Reaction score
Afternoon guys.

Have also posted this in ICE forum to cover all bases!

This weekend I'm planning to upgrade the sounds in my wife's 2001 (B5) 1.8T Avant Sport.

Not going too over the top, as she wants to keep it standard looking (so no changing headunit) and keep the functionality of the boot (So no huge boot installs)!

Her current setup is totally standard (non-Bose) concert radio/tape in dash, with boot mounted 6 disc. I believe the rears are amped as std?

My plans for this weekend are to add a small amplifier to drive a single 10" sub, in a box with a flying lead for easy removal when she needs the full boot. Along with this I intend to filter off anything below 80Hz to the full range speakers, so they can be driven a bit harder before they start to wobble. Next step is to upgrade those.....

Now, I had hoped to stash the small Amp in the cubby on the drivers side of the boot. Howvewer, when I took the covering panel off there's an odd shaped widget in there with loads of wiring going into it - I'm assuming that's the central locking module? Bit of a shame as that looked an ideal place to mount the amp. I don't want to have to resort to mounting the amp in the rear of the back seat - I want the car to be totally free of stuff when the sub box is removed, for practicality reasons - an amp hard-wired to the back seat will just be in the way.

So, first question first, those of you that know the B5 avant, where is the best place to stash a small amp?

Secondly, I have been led to believe that there are no pre-out outputs from the head unit, and that I will have to use a line to RCA adapter from the front outputs (the rears are a bespoke output for the amp driving the rears). Is this correct?

Thirdly, any advice on the best route to take for my amp cable from battery + terminal? Any easily accessed grommits I should be looking for?

Finally, any general tips on working with Audi's? i'm fairly competent in doing car audio stuff, have been doing mine and friends cars for 10 or so years, but never touched an audi before in my life. I know they have a good reputation for being welll screwed together, so any tips on taking them apart and putting them back together again?!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Hoping you can help,

Si

Whats wrong with the space next to the cd changer on the passenger side of the boot ? Where the bose amp would go I think.

Or do you need more room ?

this might help for adding if you want to add a rear sub

Linky

Thanks for the link rasA4.

I Completed the power cable run without drama, all very neat. Managed to squeeze my amp in my desired location in the end, even mounting it using an existing bracket.

My problem now is signal and remote on cables - from the link above I understand the standard rear speakers are amplified via a small circuit board fitted to the rear passenger side speaker, and that I can pick up signal and remote from this circuit.

Now, I haven't physically seen the back of the speaker (haven't taken door panel off yet) but there aren't the correct number and colour of wires going into either rear door through the B-post, so I can't believe that either of the rear speakers has this circuit board fitted to it - is it possible that this 'circuit/amplifier' is elsewhere in the car?

Someone please help - I have the sub in the car, the amp in place and all wired up, I just need to get my rca's connected and a remote switch and I'm away! Where is this pesky amplifier??!!

It's only bolted to the speaker in the saloon (rear shelf speakers).
Will be in the boot somewhere, not sure where though sorry

Has anyone/can anyone take a picture of the passenger side speaker with this amp underneath please?

I have a deposit on an S4 where this wiring has been meddled with - the deal is the dealer restores to OEM, but I could do with knowing what it looks like!