A4 Avant Buying guide...???

SMc

Reaction score
Website
www.smcphotography.co.uk
I'm on the hunt for an A4 Avant 1.9TDi......budget of 4-5k, which will probably mean 2002-2004 model with 100,000+ miles.......

Any advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers

It really depends on how it's done it's miles in my opinion. If the bulk of the miles have been covered in a short space of time then it's likely to have been serviced more regularly (twice a year etc).
When I bought mine it had 126k miles on it, but I knew that was more than fine as I'd heard of people over on tdiclub and vwaudiforum with around 450k miles on them. I wanted an Avant Sport 130, with 6 speed manual with factory S Line kit and had to look for six month and pay a premium for it, but I got a Dec 2004 54 plate and absolutely love it, it drives like it has done a third of the miles and it’s now on 145k and shows 148BHP on the dyno.

The things I found that generally wear around this age / mileage and I then replaced where clutch, wheel bearings and suspension arm and alternator pulley.
I also replaced the turbo, egr valve, intercooler pipes and vacuum lines - I thought it was a good idea partially due to the mileage and wear and because I'd had a remap that caused the turbo to overboost - so that was removed and said items replaced, possibly over cautious but there you go. Apart from that I have it serviced at an Audi Independent just before 10k miles kicks in, run it on V Power diesel and treat it to a bottle of Forte deisel cleaner every year and it's super smooth :w00t:

Not that I'm saying that because I want this to be an advertisement, but I am thinking of selling now to buy a larger engined car for a while, so it's up for sale.
If you're interested or indeed want to see how one should drive give me a shout.

Why not a little picture whoring too then :yes::

011120082631.jpg

240120092848-1.jpg

c25e1341.jpg

Last edited:
Thanls for your message mate! Very useful. Also interested in the fact you may consider selling. Can you PM me with more details (eg any interior photos? History etc?) and approx what money you would be looking for? Oh...and where you are located! Cheers!

Will drop you a PM tomorrow with all the info mate.

If it's higher miles I'd check to see the air con isn't noisy.. turn it off and on and listen out for any loud audible differences. Like a tricklin noise.. if thats a word lol