A4 Avant TDI 130 tyre choices

banny

Reaction score
I currently have P6000s that are now due for a change, to be fair they have been good to me, grip fine and wear well.
What are other owners using and why.
Also my current tyres a W speed rated, isnt this abit overkill and can I get V rated instead.
Thanks for any replies.

Pretty much all half decent tyres are W rated. There's no such as thing as overkill on a tyre.
I'm running Goodyear Excellence on our TDi 130 Avant, £67 fitted. I've found Goodyears provide excellent wet weather grip which is more important to me than ultimate grip as you're far more likely to have an accident in the rain and I've experienced some shocking aquaplaning tyres in the past, the worst were Dunlops.

I second the comments about Dunlops being absolutely crap in the wet - nearly had a shocking accident that could have been very bad news! i'm running Toyo Proxes now and feel much more confident in all weather conditions - just need to sort the standard SE spec suspension for something a bit better and i'll be well happy! :happy:

So can I run V rated this is still 150mph

It's kind of irrelevant thes days. It's a throwback to when tyres did differ dramatically in rated speed. It only becomes an issue on supercars really, just try buying a tyre that's not rated for at least 130mph.

The best tyres i had on my A4 was Uniroyol Rainsport,good grip when dry and wet.

banny said:
So can I run V rated this is still 150mph

Your insurance company will take the view that you need to run whatever rating was fitted as OEM spec for your car as a minimum rating, so if OEM spec is V then you can run V or higher etc. Otherwise in the event you are unlucky the insurance assessor might take that excuse to invalidate your claim, and in my experience they look for any possible way to weasel out of paying out.

The tyre ratings are based not just on top speed but on torque at the road wheel.

AndyMac said:
Pretty much all half decent tyres are W rated. There's no such as thing as overkill on a tyre.
I'm running Goodyear Excellence on our TDi 130 Avant, £67 fitted. I've found Goodyears provide excellent wet weather grip which is more important to me than ultimate grip as you're far more likely to have an accident in the rain and I've experienced some shocking aquaplaning tyres in the past, the worst were Dunlops.

Also running Goodyear Excellence and am very happy with them. Coming up to 13k and the fronts have between 4 and 5mm left. Rears are on 7mm.

Didn't get them that cheap though! Andymac, are yours 235/45R17? If so, that's a good price.

So whats OEM spec then.
The tyres my car has are not OEM so cant use them as a guide.
2002 1.9tdi 130 Avant

EDIT
Just checked kwik fit and they fit H rated tyres to my car, so V is better than that, so should be fine.

well I went for Goodyear hydragrips in the end.
See how they go for a few miles