A4 (B6) 2.5 TDi - engine running badly - advice needed

uber-tub

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just bought a Cat D 2.5 TDi and the offside cambelt cover is missing. The car starts but runs very badly. There is a clatter, not unlike old diesel engines' 'diesel knock' but only when i lift off the gas.
It will rev but only appears to be running on 4 cyl?!? I am concerned that the crash has caused the cam belt to jump a tooth of two. It has been say outside over winter... stood for 6 months waiting to clear insurance.
Does anyone have any other ideas?
Does anyone have any diagrams or info on cambelt timing marks?
Regards
mik

hi mate best bet would be to lock the crankshaft via the popint in the upper sump then to check if your cams are timed to your crank remove the cap at the back of the drivers side head and the pump off the back of the passenger side head and if it is timed right then you should be able to fit a flat plate ito the slots hope this helps if not let me know as i can probebly be a bit more specific if you need me to be also have the locking tools you could use if needed would require a deposit though as they arnt cheap i also have the audi workshop manuel for p.c on disk so any unusual questions i can help let me know.
i had to rebuild my heads due to worn cams which has being knwn on this engine what sort of milage is on the car? it may be worth you takeing the rocker covers off and having alook aswell as cheaking your timeing?

jay, Many thanks for your advice and very kind offer of tool loan. i've actually got the car running now. It was a broken intake cam on 1,2,3, and broken hydraulic equalisers on exhaust cam on 1,2,3. both cams and followers on 4,5,6 were fine. No apparent valve damage and timing of both cams was fine! Strange one but there you are. Car runs well now.
Disappointed with Audi's cheap-*** design and construction. Cam lobes breaking off a 60k mile car! Needless to say, the replacement cam was solid as the hollow P.O.S is no longer manufactured - which adds up to an admittance of bad design I think.
I now feel like I'm waiting for the other cams to break! Not an experience I thought I'd have with owning an Audi.
Thanks again though.
mik

i had to rebuild both heads on mine due to followers and cams i had the same gut feeling as you thinking what if the others go so rebuilt the both of them with cams followers lifters as you say you wouldnt expect this off audi its scary when you think of it it cost me just under 2k as i also replaced alot of parts whilst i could get to them lol. can i ask if your engine still sounds abit noisy? iknow ive being toolld its bedding in but the reasurence would put my mind at rest lol many thanks

It does sound noisy... but a presumed this is how they sound as I'd not heard it running before the damage. They are a fairly agricultural engine compared to modern diesels. If it goes forwards and backwards quickly enough I wouldn't worry too much :)
Still, I am wondering if I should trade it in before it explodes again...

i was told that as long as you use the right oil an do reguler change all will be ok but i still think thats abit harse considering the price of it lol you have to outway the pros and cons mate i wanted to sell mine after it was all fixed but then i thought what could i replace it with and even though they have there flaws when there working there amazing if you need any help with out in the future just give me a pm and ill do what i can for you thanks

Jay, that's seriously nice of you mate, but (fingers crossed) I hope I won't need to take you up on it :)
Yeah, correct oil and regular changes does seem to be key when it comes to cam wear.
I think I'll keep it as it is in such good condition and low mileage... and drives beautifully, and as you say - what would I replace it with?
Cheers
mik