A4 B6 saloon non-BOSE OEM speaker replacement

leshkin

Hold my beer...
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been mentioned before - I searched, I really did :)

I'm looking to replace the front and rear speakers on an A4 B6 Saloon, which has a standard/non-BOSE speaker setup. I already replaced the HU with a Kenwood KDC-BT61U and have it working as it should... Life is great, except for the crappy sound quality that is the standard Audi speakers.

I'd like to replace the speakers with quality after-market units and possibly look at replacing the sub also at some point. I plan on running the cabling to the rear to facilitate that at same time as the rear speaker cables as well as the usual addition of sound deadening.

Does anyone have experience with doing the above on this model? I'd love to hear what speakers will fit in the front and rear and if I need any sort of adapters to get them to fit. I'm pretty bad at DIY, so making the adapters myself is probably a bad idea. If these can be bought from someone, I'd be happy to send some beer tokens you way.

AndyMac, do you have any ideas about this seeing as you helped me massievly with my old 8L S3 a couple of years ago?

Andy, ASN needs to make a trophy for you!

Adapters ordered :)

One more question, what is the max depth of speaker can I use? Or is there sufficient depth in the adapter rings to accommodate any standard 6.5" speaker?

Yes any 6.5" components will fit, but if they have a bulky crossover then this will complicate the install. You can't rewire the speakers as there's no way through the A pillar so you will need to use the existing wiring. So the crossover needs to be installed somewhere behind the door card
The JL's just have a high pass filter built into the tweeter so very easy to install and don't seem to suffer at all as a result.

Sounds great!

I'm thinking of driving all of the speakers from the Kenwood HU, which has a 4x50W amp - I did the same in the S3 with Focal components in the front and and coax in the back and this was more than enough for my needs.

I take it that rears can be kept stock and driven directly by the HU since they are not BOSE? I was thinking about upgrading them also, but if possible, I'd rather spend that money on a better sub/amp.

Speaking of subs, I'd love to keep the boot trim in one piece and replace the standard sub with something like a Phillips shallow mount 8" as I know that it's almost a direct replacement, but I'm not sure where I could hide the amp... Do you have any ideas or would a small enclosure, like yours, be a much better option?

Yes the rears can be rewired to the HU no problem as they are standard impedance.
An enclosure is always a much better bet than a free air sub in the parcel shelf. The only place for the amp is behind the boot trim as per the link above, or the underside of the parcel shelf