A4 B7 2.0 TDi Coolant Loss.

Stuart Taylor

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2007 A4 2.0 TDi fitted with the BRE engine which is loosing coolant. I do not know how long it has been doing so is I only became aware after the Low Coolant message came up on the dash.
I checked around the radiator and the hoses from the header tank to the radiator but could not seen any leaks. I also removed the oil cap to check for signs of Mayo but there was nothing.
Is there a common place that these engines leak from?
any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

Any starting issues, starting with initial puff of smoke which clears very quickly?

Have you been doing any maintenance recently?
There's a horseshoe plastic clip at the rear of the engine that can get dislodged easily and leak. I think it's the thermostat housing, if memory serves.

Have you been doing any maintenance recently?
There's a horseshoe plastic clip at the rear of the engine that can get dislodged easily and leak. I think it's the thermostat housing, if memory serves.
No. Nothing has been touched. The only thing done to the car was it’s MOT on the 20th September. I’ll have a look to locate the thermostat housing and see if there is a leak their.

Could be coolant leaking internally through the EGR cooler, quite common

Another good reason to remove it.
Ok, I’ll look in to that. Can you advise where exactly where the EGR Cooler is located and if the car needs to be connected to a computer to delete the EGR and not show any fault codes.
Again, thank you for the reply.

The EGR cooler sits just behind the turbo and above the exhaust, right side of engine.
To remove the cooler you have to remove the EGR valve too (definitely beneficial), but you will need that coding out to remove the dashboard EML. I had mine done on a remap.
One big advantage over the BRD engine.

The EGR cooler sits just behind the turbo and above the exhaust, right side of engine.
To remove the cooler you have to remove the EGR valve too (definitely beneficial), but you will need that coding out to remove the dashboard EML. I had mine done on a remap.
One big advantage over the BRD engine.
Ok, I’ll have a look at it.
thanks again.