A4 B7 List of Affordable Modifications/Upgrades/Retrofits

SDHA4SLine

Reaction score
Hi,

As per the title really I'm always looking on here for ideas of affordable modifications, upgrades & retrofits that can be made to my car so I thought it may be a good idea for me to start a thread as a one stop shop for others who are looking for a quick mod fix ;).

Please help by adding anything you know of, part numbers, pics and prices would be nice if you have them.

I will be adding a few later but I cant' take any credit for them as they were all found on this forum posted by other members :p

Hope this proves to be helpful to someone,:thumbs up:

Caveat emptor:
I appreciate that peoples idea of "affordable" may be vastly different, however I had the sum of around £100 and below in my mind as affordable :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ukphillad and dt-tdi
SUBSCRIBED

I Love the idea of this cheap simple mods.. :)

Engine covers (battery, washer bottle etc) are about £60 for all 3... if you're interested in your engine bay

RS4 RARB is the best value mod you can do, about £120 from memory

Engine covers (battery, washer bottle etc) are about £60 for all 3... if you're interested in your engine bay

RS4 RARB is the best value mod you can do, about £120 from memory

Part numbers for RARB are...
1 x RS4 Rear Sway Bar (Part 8E0511409AL)
2 x RS4 Rear Sway Bar Bushings (Part #8E0511327D)
2 x Bushing Brackets (Part #8E0511439)
4 x Bolts for Brackets (Part #N10127707)
2 x Bolts for ARB links (Part #N10528103)
2 x Bushing Brackets (Part #8E0511439)

jjmurphy, can you copy and paste these part numbers to your post then I will delete my post to keep things clean?

Last edited:
AVANT LUGGAGE COVER FIX KIT (STOPS THE DAM THING PINGING OUT OF PLACE & RECOILING AT EVERY SPEED BUMP)

Part number 8E9 898 661 4PK cost £10.60

Credit to the members from this thread...
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/avant-parcel-shelf-cover.101431/

Dcdctf
Qqv2pv
11qpezk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: John_Tuohy, IamCerberus, Lafarge and 1 other person
Get the Mrs hairdrier out and buy some 3d carbon wrap, and wrap all your door and dash surrounds...and middish dark vinyl wrap for your rear lights and front wing indicators....looks good. If you have an Avant and your rear wipe is drooping...exchange it for the Q5 wiper arm upgrade.....that's a nice mod too.

Cheers
A

Reactions: guyzza75, RSTHRILLER and Obnoxious Kids
SEAT LEON CUPRA R FRONT SPLITTER

Part number 1ML 805 903 approx £40 + the cost of a few stainless steel self tapper screws.
Untitled

FOG LIGHT SURROUND MESH UPGRADE

Get hold of any mesh that suits your taste. I tried to find the closest match to RS4 grille mesh that didn't cost the same insane amount of money as real thing. My mesh cost approximately £20 from ebay. Also had surrounds sprayed gloss black which bumped price up a little.

Cut it to shape and fix to front of, or the or rear of surround (I decided on front) and there you have it, far nicer looking fog light surrounds and has added bonus of stopping crud blocking air flow to intercoolers :)

Grille

Reactions: KrisKrk, Sumner, ash-k and 1 other person
INTERIOR LIGHTING LED UPGRADE

Got an error free canbus interior LED light kit for my Avant from ASN member called T8ups. Was delivered to my door for £34. All of 10 minutes to swap them over and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Caveat emptor: My car does NOT have the interior light pack so obviously its going to cost a little more for you if you do have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: ash-k, ukphillad and jdp1962
SIDE LIGHT LED UPGRADE

Again error free canbus side light LED's purchased from T8ups £7 for pair. Fitting them was a bit awkward but worth it :)

picture below shows left side halogen & right side LED

Reactions: ash-k
RETROFIT INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHTING

Part number 8E0 919 063 A (Diode) £18.20. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes to install.

Thanks to Ajax1976 for bringing this retrofit to my attention and supplying part number.

Also credit to members on tyresmoke.net for the installation instructions in link below
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/58026-how-to-retrofit-ambient-interior-lighting/

I don't have a picture of my own so found this one & the credit (or not, as it may be ;)) for the picture below goes to our member jdp1962 the self proclaimed ''Grumpy Old Moderator''
P1000375 zps2e92e4b7

Caveat emptor: Personally I was underwhelmed by the effect of this but for £18 you cant really go wrong

Reactions: Stu.Audi and jdp1962
REAR NUMBER PLATE LIGHTS LED UPGRADE

Another purchase from T8ups... 2 x LED's + Canceller Loom for £19.

BEWARE... To fit the canceller loom (if needed, to stop bulb out errors) you will have to remove the inner lining from tailgate which for my Avant, turned out to be a right PITA
There is a couple of useful links in this thread on how to remove the tailgate trim

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...per-motor-incl-removing-tailgate-trim.237684/

Sorry I don't have any end results or before & after pictures for this.

Caveat emptor: Again personally I was underwhelmed by the light output from these but I would say still worth it for the cleaner whiter light they give (maybe this is the intension rather than brighter light). It’s definitely a much more modern look

ENGINE BAY COVERS/DRESS UP

PAS Header, Washer Bottle Cover, Battery Cover.
1 x 8E0 103 927 F £23.95
1 x N105 538 01 £0.58
1 x 078 129 734 A £1.82
2 x 078 129 669 £6.00
1 x 8E0 103 541 £4.45

Air Intake and Air-Con Hose Cover
1 x 8H0 103 928 £17.98

Plenum Chamber & Battery Cover
1 x 8E2 819 422A 01C £6.29
1 x 8E2 819 447 01C £15.24

all inc VAT

Prices may have changed since posted here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/quote-for-engine-bay-cover-kit.151830/#post-1514575

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
Does the avant luggage cover fix definitely fit/work on b7?

I ordered mine today gave the parts guy at dealer the part number and asked him to check, he said its for years 2005 to 2008 to think it's actually a b7 item that can be used on b6.

If you can wait for a few days when I've picked it up and fitted it I can let you know for definate?

hows about wheel spacers ? (15mm rear 10mm front) cost me around £100 for all four hubcentric spacers and longer bolts, car sits very nicely now

20150102 114050 resized
20150215 121234 resized

Reactions: Sumner, ash-k and SDHA4SLine
RETROFIT INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHTING

Part number 8E0 919 063 A (Diode) £18.20. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes to install.

Thanks to Ajax1976 for bringing this retrofit to my attention and supplying part number.

Also credit to members on tyresmoke.net for the installation instructions in link below
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/58026-how-to-retrofit-ambient-interior-lighting/

I don't have a picture of my own so found this one & the credit (or not, as it may be ;)) for the picture below goes to our member jdp1962 the self proclaimed ''Grumpy Old Moderator''
View attachment 50842

Caveat emptor: Personally I was underwhelmed by the effect of this but for £18 you cant really go wrong
Yes, all right, I know, the pic is a shocker, but it's still a nice touch.

hows about wheel spacers ? (15mm rear 10mm front) cost me around £100 for all four hubcentric spacers and longer bolts, car sits very nicely now

View attachment 50869 View attachment 50870

Is yours lowered also, and standard 2nd question, do the tyres rub at all with these spacers.

Got a link to where you purchased yours and the part numbers?

thats a good question.
i wanted 15mm but they are too wide, max is 10 mm on mine,

Reactions: Sumner
Loving this thread great idea :) watching like a hawk :)

it's only lowered by about 10mm as its an s line and also i need to cross fields sometimes, lol. i have no rubbing issues either mate,

haven't got a link buddy as i got them on ebay. but found a sample below. my 15mm rears were about £50, and the front 10mm one's were hard to find for some reason managed to get them for £30 and the bolts were around £30, just had a quick look on ebay and found these.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-5x112-...450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f46094d92

if you do buy those i'd buy some proper bolts as well, the one's that are supplied with the spacers are cone seated they are for after market wheels, (i think). standard wheels need these one's...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151516808976?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

ordering some shims from my local audi dealer, then walking across the road to the vw dealer to order the washers, job done:)

yep, ordered a set this morning aswell:), i think audi uk are going to be getting low on them very shortly....;)

Free Mod : Removing badges from the tailgate / boot lid with some heat and some fishing line.

If you have an Avant you can do the rear wiper delete.

Mine was suffering from an embarrassing erection so I removed the offending item :-

8905320641_77050f72c1_b.jpg

9657485026_7a816e703d_c.jpg

Reactions: IamCerberus and Lafarge
Does the avant luggage cover fix definitely fit/work on b7?
Fitted mine tonight so yes they definately fit b7's. Will report back if they work after my drive to work in the morning

Reactions: foursprungdwarf
Related to the Magic Eraser post above.

For your Alcantara wheels/gear knobs in the Special Edition and DTM models then this is your friend :-

stikatak-carpet-stain-remover-400ml-1954-p.jpg

Clear corner mod has to be a winner for the cost. Less than £5 for a pair of chrome indicator bulbs, and takes years off the car!!!!
Also cheap eml327 off eBay and obd11 app, cheapest boost gauge ever!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-16-21-14-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-16-21-14-45.png
    428.9 KB · Views: 1,905
I'm quite into my lights, these were a direct replacement for puddle lights on my b7 s4 cab. I think they look great, kinda love em or hate em. There are others with a ring around the logo, I prefer no ring
Uploadfromtaptalk1424246881176

Reactions: Rodgeri and Neil2014