Help Please A4 b8 avant wheel wobble when braking

Gooders

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys

Got a snag I have had for a while.
When at speed 70 mph I’m getting a wobble/ vibration through steering wheel which as I apply more pressure and speed drops reduces.
First I got wheels balanced which didn’t cure so I replaced disc and pads, still not sorted so got wheels balanced again, still the same.
I’m waiting on getting her brakes checked on a rolling road but wondered if any one else has had this. If so what was the cure.

Thanks in advance.

Gooders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had very similar symptoms recently. The only extra thing I had was one of the front wheels would be quite warm after a run. A new caliper on the warm wheel side seems to have sorted it.

Thanks. I’ll check the temps after my next long run. Be another thing checked.

Depending on the age and mileage of that car, with that weight over the front wheels, it might be either some of the suspension bushes or the TREs - the TREs used to have a stiff solid rubber damper built into them on previous versions and that was a weak point.

My old 2000 VW Passat 4Motion which had the Audi 2.8V6 30V engine failed an MOT for that issue with a TRE, I never noticed anything when braking or examining it prior to that MOT.

During a recent MOT on my 08, A4, 3.2, Quattro, the tester found 'play' in one of the steering rack extensions.
I had noticed a slight vibration in the steering. I had both replaced, not expensive.
Have your garage check the steering rack extensions. IIRC they connect the track rod ends to the steering rack.
Good luck diagnosing and correcting the fault, asap.

Hum, had that on my wife's previous 2000 Polo, it was just an advisory, but I, after knowing that, could detect a slight loss of movement at the steering wheel, I replaced both steering/track rods and that sorted that out, though that car did not suffer any wobble under braking either.

I am waiting to get her in to be looked at. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

I had this and it turned out to be a couple of buckled alloy wheels. Ended up wasting a fair bit of cash before finding the problem which was actually very cheap to sort.

Did that not show up when getting balanced? Mine going in to be looked at think I’ll swap front to rear to check.

It should have shown up but I had them balanced twice before it was picked up.

Hi guys

Well my local shop had her in and checked all the steering. They found a steering track rod end with some play. That’s been replaced and I’m yet to give her a full test. They said if that’s not it I’m looking a warped hub.
I’ll update once I have been on the motor way.