A4 B9 Accelerator Pedal

Rocksteve69

Reaction score
Hi all,

After driving my A4 for over 2 months now and 1200 miles I just noticed an issue or maybe its by design the travel in the accelerator pedal. I've always driven my A4 with respect in terms of hitting the pedal and only pushed the pedal as far as I got some firm resistance and believe it was flat to the floor but today i pushed the padel harder and found it travelled a small amount further than I have been pushing it. This maybe by design and there is actually no difference in that extra small distance in terms of having my foot flat to the floor to where I was pressing the padel to originally. Just wanted see if anyone noticed this. Thanks.

If you try it (probably with the car off) it'll probably feel like a button at the end of the pedal. If so, that's probably the "kickdown" for automatic A4s and also disables the speed limiter in case you need to quickly accelerate - applies to both manual and auto cars. Might also do some other bits, but I'm not 100% sure!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

After driving my A4 for over 2 months now and 1200 miles I just noticed an issue or maybe its by design the travel in the accelerator pedal. I've always driven my A4 with respect in terms of hitting the pedal and only pushed the pedal as far as I got some firm resistance and believe it was flat to the floor but today i pushed the padel harder and found it travelled a small amount further than I have been pushing it. This maybe by design and there is actually no difference in that extra small distance in terms of having my foot flat to the floor to where I was pressing the padel to originally. Just wanted see if anyone noticed this. Thanks.
Not necessarily for the kick down as there is no mechanical connection between the pedal and the engine, it is all electronically controlled and the kick down will happen at different throttle openings according to the driving conditions and engine parameters.
In the past, as it has been noted with manual gearboxes as well, see post #1 http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/accelerator-pedal-feeling-at-100-throttle.200112/

Not necessarily for the kick down as there is no mechanical connection between the pedal and the engine, it is all electronically controlled and the kick down will happen at different throttle openings according to the driving conditions and engine parameters.
In the past, as it has been noted with manual gearboxes as well, see post #1 http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/accelerator-pedal-feeling-at-100-throttle.200112/

Since you usually refer people to the manual, I decided to take a look and it does indeed state that it's a kick down specifically...

'The kick-down feature is designed to give maximum acceleration. When the accelerator pedal is pressed right down past the point of resistance at full throttle the gearbox will shift down to a lower gear, depending on road speed and engine speed, and the engine power will be fully exploited. The upshift to the next higher gear is delayed until the engine reaches maximum rpm.'

As you've stated though, obviously it will kick down a bit dependent on how you're pressing the throttle and engine loads and such, but this is a dedicated kick-down that gives you maximum attack.

Begs the question though, my A3 manual had exactly the same sensation and many, many other manual owners have also remarked upon this as well.
Also, it has been reported that this isn't a 'kick down' for the gearbox but a power boost, like in selecting dynamic mode to provide extra boost.
It might be that on an automatic it does both but on a manual its just switches the engine mode..

Last edited:
Begs the question though, my A3 manual had exactly the same sensation and many, many other manual owners have also remarked upon this as well.
Also, it has been reported that this isn't a 'kick down' for the gearbox but a power boost, like in selecting dynamic mode to provide extra boost....

My mother in laws Skoda Fabia is a manual with this kick-down as well. In that application the manual says that it's to override the speed limiter (sorta like cruise control) if required. I'm not sure about the purpose on older manual cars that maybe didn't have this feature though!

Sorry Daggerit, I ammended my post to perhaps reflect more on this sensation might be for on both gearboxes..

Reactions: Daggerit
Hi all,

Put your car into "Economy" mode (Drive Select). Put your foot to the floor "pre-click". Then push it that bit further. You'll feel it clearly - it overrides the economy mode acceleration parameters to give full acceleration.

Reactions: cuke2u and Daggerit
Cheers all for the replies, been able to investigate and can confirm that it overrides the limiter when set so happy its by design. Mines a manual 1.4 so I should have stated that in first part of the post. But a happy bunny now :)

Reactions: cuke2u