A4 buying advice

d18ony

Donnie Mac
Reaction score
hello all. I'm currently looking to buy an a4 but don't really know the differences between all the models. I test drove an 143 se a couple of weeks ago which was a nice drive and felt like it had ample power. Although it had a couple of extras including reversing sensors, and an ipod connection, the appearance didn't overly impress me. I've since been looking at the s line range and also the black editions. Ive recently found a white black edition which is a stunning car that I am seriously considering. However is it worth paying the extra cash for a black edition, rather than a s line? Other that the wheels, and black trim, are there any differences? Is 143 bhp enough power, I'm no boy racer any more! I can't seem to find out what are standard extras on the s line. Is sat nav standard on any trim? I definitely would want parking sensors, and a decent sterio system would be a nice extra. Sorry for the novel! Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Donnie

S-Line basically gives you lowered suspension, leather bucket seats and a more sporty looking interor, LED lighting, bigger wheels and a few extra bells and whistles in the interior. But a lot of stuff (in Audi tradition) is still optional, including satnav/MMI (even a ruddy glovebox lamp is an optional extra, as many have discovered....!) Personally I find the ride quality and refinement of the S-Line models dreadful, with lowered suspension and skinny tyres it makes the car feel as though the wheels are made from concrete....

If you are buying new, SE Technik is actually the best value spec of the lot, as you get leather, MMI with Satnav and the front/rear parking sensors thrown in for a lot less than either buying a base SE model or S-Line and specifying them separately. I have the 143bhp TDI SE Technik and I am more than happy with the performance, it's got great get-up-and-go mid range torque - you can still be a hooligan (to some extent) if you want to; - it's a far cry from an S4, but it's more of a refined and civilized piece of transport that goes quickly if you want it to.

Good reply., thou I went for the s line yes it looks miles better with the side skirts, leather sporrd seats etc. Note if your buying used s line come with LED daytime running lights and xenons self levelling headlights. Not found on the other models. Yes the s line ride is bumpy.

But we only use are s line diesel for out of town motorway driving. Living in London am on public transport Monday to Friday

Another important consideration I forgot to say was new or used.....personally I don't go for new (can't afford it anyway!) due to the initial depreciation hit, but with the B9 now just around the corner, buying a new B8 now is going to hurt a lot more unless you can get a really good deal on a car they already have in stock rather than ordering from the factory.

Bide your time and find a nearly new one on Audi Approved with a spec that you can live with has always been my mantra, that way someone else has shelled out for the expensive extras and taken the initial hit on the depreciation!

Reactions: JohnboyC
If you are buying new, SE Technik is actually the best value spec of the lot - it's a far cry from an S4, but it's more of a refined and civilized piece of transport that goes quickly if you want it to.

Maybe selective cropping of that quote, but I think that you will find that the S4 suspension is a lot more refined - compliant but still firm - than some of the lower spec'd models, so it is still civilized (and goes quickly if you want it to).

But we only use are s line diesel for out of town motorway driving. Living in London am on public transport Monday to Friday

Good man, too many people clogging up inner cities with their 4 mile commutes, and mainly driving big cars. Buses etc smell, but they do make sense! My S4 normally only gets let out at weekends and then only if travelling "out of town".

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Maybe selective cropping of that quote, but I think that you will find that the S4 suspension is a lot more refined - compliant but still firm - than some of the lower spec'd models, so it is still civilized (and goes quickly if you want it to).

I was comparing the performance of the S4 in that quote.....not the ride quality or refinement.

My two pence...

The S-Line ride isn't too bad and I think a lot rests of the size of wheels. I have standard 18's on mine and find the ride more than comfortable, however my Grandad has a 2.0 tfsi Quattro (he's 79!!) with 19's and the ride is totally different.. much harder, louder and bouncier.

Also I wouldn't discount a petrol. They are cheaper to buy and with the price of petrol being so cheap you would have to do significant mileage for a diesel to be financially viable. Also diesels have lots of complicated things like diesel particulate filters and dual mass flywheels which can be costly as the mileage rises.

I run a 1.8 160 tfsi which has ample power and on a recent run to York I averaged 51mpg (from computer trip) over 103 miles simply by setting the cruise to 65mph and chilling out to a decent soundtrack. Having said that, when driven hard, or around town it guzzles the juice. Over 2,000 miles I have averaged 35mpg on the second trip.

Reactions: Kalashnikov and JohnboyC
As always get as many test drives in different specs (SE/S line, 17/18/19" wheels) as you can. Have a look at one of the brochures to see what was standard and what was optional (most things). Work out what ones you defnitely want and what are just nice to haves. Some things can be retrofitted, but it can be expensive.

Our 2010 A4 S line on 19s on the standard sports suspension was fine for us (except cost of the tyres of course). I preferred the look of the S line over the SE and did not want privacy glass which ruled out the Black. Also wanted Xenons so it made it simple to just look for an S line.

Depending on what your budget is, buying cam be cheaper than buying ex-demo / nearly new as you get better PCP interest rates and discounts can be good as previously stated.

Reactions: JohnboyC
I like the look of the s-line avant with sport body kit on it.
Get an A4 with as much kit on it as possible, as poverty spec ones will always be harder to shift later on.
Be warned that the 3G mmi sat nav system is great but expensive when it comes to map updates.
Bang and Olufson sound is worth having.
Go for 18" rather than 19" alloys, unless you like paying loads for tyres.

I currently have 16" steel wheels with winter continental tyres (in place of my 18" s line alloys) ride quality is amazing now (lol) and so much quieter.

My 2010 2.0 tdi 170 Quattro S-line Avant is ok, but 1st and 2nd gear seem lame and to make car go it has to be gunned a bit (remap required maybe?) , otherwise it's great.

Quattros will suffer from fuel economy but handling is very good.

If you guys think the S-line suspension is hard, go drive a Bmw 118d m Sport (my last car) with run flats - lol

Last edited:
Reactions: RapidAssistant and Kalashnikov