A4 Cabriolet Subwoofer install

JasonS

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Although my Cab came from the factory with Bose audio, unless I have my head directly between the two front speakers, it's a bit lacking in oomph.

I've had subs in my previous cars and thought that as I had various amps and cables lying around, I might as well use them. Of course I ended up buying a new amp when I came to do the install. :)

I built a sub box that would fit under the roof storage compartment and would fit my Phase Linear Aliante 10" sub. I calculated the size of the box using an old copy of WinISD that I've had for years.

I consulted the wiring diagrams and determined that the best place to get a signal for the amp was from the input of the factory amp in the rear right of the car.

I ran a fused +12v cable from the battery to the back of the car, using a kit from Halfords (which was surprisingly reasonable). Getting the cable through the firewall was a bit of a challenge, but with the glovebox removed I was eventually able to manage it. I then ran this below the centre console to the rear seat, which was a bit of a pain but worked in the end. I pulled the cable through to the boot and found I had plenty to spare.

I removed the plug for the factory amp and located the pins I wanted:

PIN 25 = Remote Turn On
PIN 6 = Signal Earth
PIN 7 = Rear Left
PIN 8 = Rear Right
IMG 0207 1
I cut the ends off the phono cable that came with the amp wiring kit and wired up the earth first, then the signal pins.
IMG 0212 1
I ran the phono cable and remote turn on to the other side of the boot where I installed my Amp.
I'm not sure if this is the best place.. I ordered a Vibe LiteBox Bass amp as I wanted a remote gain control as I wouldn't had head unit control over the subwoofer level. It was only £50, but I wasn't sure if it would be the older shape model or the newer one. I got the old shape and found that I couldn't install it on the back of the rearseats as there is insufficient space (despite it being small).
IMG 0344
I bought a replacement ski-hatch for the rear seat and took it apart, removing the bag.
I swapped the ski-hatch housing into the car so I just have a hole into the boot from the cabin.
I put all the carpet back, ran a cable to the remote amp gain control which I've installed under the armrest and tried it out.
IMG 0354IMG 0350
The particular Vibe litebox amp I have is a bit of a pain as the level dials are all on the underside.. but once I got it all figured out, it makes a nice improvement to the stock Bose sound.
IMG 0342
I haven't lost a huge amount of boot space - I might try to relocate the amp to somewhere more out of the way in the future though.

During the install I had the boot open for long periods - this has subsequently busted my GPS antenna cable so my next job is to replace all the RG174 cables that run to the antennas in the bootlid.

I do hope the base does not vibrate any of the micro switches which contribute to the roof opening.