A4 Or A6 3.0 Tdi

Malfuss

Reaction score
Ok, wasn't sure whether to stick this in the A4 or A6 section, so decided to stick it here :)

I've had enough of my B6 A4 and decided I need a change.

I've recently changed jobs which now involves a lot of B road driving. I've looked at 4x4's but have decided I'll stick with Audi and go for Quattro. As we're moving house next year I'm not going to put much money into this car so am looking at the B7 A4 or the C6 A6 with the 3.0 TDi.

A question for you, I notice the majority of A4's are 204bhp whilst the A6 is 225bhp, after reading another thread on here, it seems that the 204 can be remapped to the same levels as the TDV A4 which is 225bhp (correct me if I'm wrong!), so is this true? Is the A4 engine basically a detuned version of the A6 engine? Are there any other differences, fuel rails or injectors etc.

I have tried a search but can't find anything that gives definitive answer.

Last edited:
Not 100% sure of the differences between those engines but if you are looking at a C7 A6 then why not the B8 A4.
The C7 A6 came in around late 2010 and has 240bhp.
The TDV engines have a DPF whilst the earlier 204bhp car doesn't. Usually a diesel cam be mapped between 25-30% higher depending on the state of tune that it starts at and the headroom available from the turbo. The 204bhp should map to around 250bhp.
The 3.0 TDI is a real peach of an engine, I went from a 1.9 TDI 207bhp modded Passat to the 2008 B8 3.0 TDI I have now.

Karl.

Sorry, I must have edited my post just as you were typing yours. I got my chassis mixed up, should have been C6 A6!

Thanks for the info though. Still undecided on whether to go for the larger size of the A6 (but a quieter forum!) or stick with an A4. Once we've moved I'll be able to put a bit more money towards it and start thinking about the 3.0 TDi A5 or the newer A4/A6 if I still need the Avant.

Last edited:
The 204 bhp engine was only used in the B7 for about six months before being upgraded to 229bhp. Mine's a 2007 and it's 229bhp. I think the upgrade was about the end of 2005.

Back to Malfuss' original post, Desertstorm is right. Whatever the output, the 3.0TDi is an epic engine. Mine's got a "soft" map that took it to 257bhp and 383 torques, but a full performance map will go up to about 275bhp and 400+ torques. Combine it with a 6-speed ZF auto box and Quattro, and it's just sublime. All that and I still get mid 40s mpg with the cruise set on the motorway.

I think the best for you would be C6 A6 if you need a bigger car. From the other side a4 b8 is bit bigger than a4 b7 but I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to use mostly B roads (especially sline suspension). Build quality comparing to C6 is very poor. You will experience a lot of rattles mostly from dashboard. I know this from my own experience and people that I know. I don't know much about the engines but 100% sure that in b8 you get 240hp and 500 torque. Hope it helps.

Depending on your budget, if you buy a 2010onwards 3.0TDI, they are more economical, as they have energy recuperation and stop start etc. as standard.

I would get an A6 (biased I know), but would get a 58> as by then most of the issues were addressed then (injectors etc)

A6 best dash, feels bigger around the bends but loads of rear room and feels more special.( A4 cab has better dash than a4 with round vents a bit more tt looking) and a4 is a bit cramped it rear but handles better if its a 3.0 Quattro, I have driven all of them, try before you buy, hey they are all very nice!

A6 because you won't find much difference in the transition between b6-b7 (and I should know as I've collected most the parts to convert the front of my b6 haha).