A4/S4 memory seat function retrofit

jammy78

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to retrofit drivers memory seat function - I've read a handful of posts relating to S5 B9 Sportbacks and am I right to assume the A4/S4 will be exactly the same?

There not much detailed info all in one thread, so I'm going to update this as I go along.

My car: 2018 S4 Avant

This is what I understand is required, please correct me if wrong:

Under driver seat module : 4M0959760 - £75 ebay sourced from US
Memory door buttons : 8W0959770 (5PR) - £95 (lllparts) - insane cost for this part, dealer wanted £135!
Replacement seat controls switch : 8W0959748A - £75 (lllparts)
Bracket for module : 8W0959730 - £14 (dealer)
Door trim (with ambient lighting QQ2 option) : 8W2959518G - £75 (dealer)
Seat back wiring : 8W0971369R - £28 (lllparts)
Seat frame wiring : 8W0971366EA - £41 (lllparts)
I'll need to make a custom wire to connect the door switch to the door module.
Also I'll to connect the seats to the CAN under the rear seat.

Regarding all the wiring, I'm thinking of getting the kit from AliExpress, this should contain everything required (£65ish)- I'll update once I decide.

I've done multiple retrofits before but replacing the wiring in the seat is something I'm not looking forward to, especially when there's no info online about it - if anyone has seen a guide, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

Reactions: AshleyZJ
Sounds like a huge amount of cost/time. We share "my" S4 and have found that we can get away with just adjusting the front-back setting (plus the interior mirror).
I retro fitted "memory seat functionality" this way for free: :)

Reactions: spartacus 68 and Richn83
Not sure if the below will help but on my21 S4 I've got the following module and coding for memory seats.

I've pasted door electric as well as I once retrofitted some folding mirrors to a golf and memory mirror function was also door controller related on that platform and you had to have the right version that supported it, might not be the same ok these but you might need the coding.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr (J136) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 4M6 959 760 HW: 4M4 959 760
Component: MEM-FS 009 0060
Serial number: 00000439101714
Coding: 01781A000000B0010003010101010000000000000000000000000000004000
Shop #: WSC 06335 790 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV_SCMDriveSideCONTIAU736 006013
ROD: EV_SCMDriveSideCONTIAU736_AU37.rod
VCID: 7BA20C1F836BE4E3DA1-802E

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 4M0 959 793 N HW: 4M0 959 793 N
Component: TSG FS 011 0390
Serial number: 0000440866109
Coding: 005D8A205201008000011032
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCU2DriveSideMAXHCONT 001005
ROD: EV_DCU2DriveSideMAXHCONT_AU49.rod
VCID: 49CEA6D79937867318D-801C

No fault code found.

Reactions: jammy78
Would love to hear how you do with this. I considered the kufatec kit but that was closer to a grand, ended up getting a car with it spec'ed but not having to wait for it to come up on the used market would have been handy!

I'm nearly there with this retrofit. Just need to tap into the correct CAN wires and then I should be able to code the seat.

I do have a concern, after replacing the wiring, the seat functions but when I move it forward & back, it stops after a couple seconds (whilst still pushing the switch). Hopefully this is will resolve itself after I'm able to code the seat - the module is from a LHD, so might be the reason or the new controller.....

I'll update this when completed as I have a few "lessons learnt".

Not sure if the below will help but on my21 S4 I've got the following module and coding for memory seats.

I've pasted door electric as well as I once retrofitted some folding mirrors to a golf and memory mirror function was also door controller related on that platform and you had to have the right version that supported it, might not be the same ok these but you might need the coding.
Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr (J136) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 4M6 959 760 HW: 4M4 959 760
Component: MEM-FS 009 0060
Serial number: 00000439101714
Coding: 01781A000000B0010003010101010000000000000000000000000000004000
ASAM Dataset: EV_SCMDriveSideCONTIAU736 006013
ROD: EV_SCMDriveSideCONTIAU736_AU37.rod
VCID: 7BA20C1F836BE4E3DA1-802E

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 4M0 959 793 N HW: 4M0 959 793 N
Component: TSG FS 011 0390
Serial number: 0000440866109
Coding: 005D8A205201008000011032
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCU2DriveSideMAXHCONT 001005
ROD: EV_DCU2DriveSideMAXHCONT_AU49.rod
VCID: 49CEA6D79937867318D-801C

No fault code found.
Many thanks for this, as I just used your coding for 36 seat module and now it works perfectly. Granted, I got a couple faults in VCDS but I think it's probably due to the module coming out of a A4 and not S4, so the calibration setting are likely to be different (different seats) - it has no effect on seat operation, so I'm not concerned.

Anyway, the seats work and so does the memory. I'll write something up when I get a chance.

People with memory from factory, do you have any options in the MMI regarding the seats (other than easy access)?

Reactions: Richn83
Hi there.

I have memory from factory.

I don't think even Easy access is standard, I turned it on with obd11

I think the only option there is something like store position to key or similar.

I don't have the manual to hand, but should describe all the possible options in there to check I would have thought?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Glad the coding helped, not really looked at mmi much for seats will take a little ok next time I'm out there.

Good work on the retrofit that's a serious job! Look forward to a write up see what's what!

Hi there.

I have memory from factory.

I don't think even Easy access is standard, I turned it on with obd11

I think the only option there is something like store position to key or similar.

I don't have the manual to hand, but should describe all the possible options in there to check I would have thought?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I actually had the "Easy access" in the MMI but didn't have memory seats, so didn't do anything - I think this is the norm in all S4?

I've played around with the coding and now get the message pop up when pressing the memory seat buttons but for the life of me can't get the option you said - store position to the key. This is going to bug me.... time for some more googling

hi . My car is 2022 A4 Avant. Do I need Replacement seat controls switch : 8W0959748A ? Is the control switch on memory and non-memory cars different ?
I've read on toher posts that q7 3rd row g version control module doesnt work ? Is 4M0959760B of for retrofit ?
thanks

hi . My car is 2022 A4 Avant. Do I need Replacement seat controls switch : 8W0959748A ? Is the control switch on memory and non-memory cars different ?
I've read on toher posts that q7 3rd row g version control module doesnt work ? Is 4M0959760B of for retrofit ?
thanks
Would be nice if we got answers,looking to do retrofit too

Would be nice if we got answers,looking to do retrofit too
The switches are different. The non memory power the seat motors directly as the memory ones only send signals to the module which then powers the motors. So plugs wire gauge and all that is not the same. I haven't looked up a module in a while but I do recall the rear seat module from a Q7 as not being usable. Specially used since it has a completely different parameter set than a front seat.

I'm nearly there with this retrofit. Just need to tap into the correct CAN wires and then I should be able to code the seat.

I do have a concern, after replacing the wiring, the seat functions but when I move it forward & back, it stops after a couple seconds (whilst still pushing the switch). Hopefully this is will resolve itself after I'm able to code the seat - the module is from a LHD, so might be the reason or the new controller.....

I'll update this when completed as I have a few "lessons learnt".
Hi mate, I’ve put the electric seats with a memory module already on it into my car. I’ve got a new door card with the switches for it as well. Would you be able to let us know how you wired into CAN for us please. I’ve given it extra power and the functions work but doesn’t come up on MMI screen and VCDS doesn’t see the memory module

Hi mate, I’ve put the electric seats with a memory module already on it into my car. I’ve got a new door card with the switches for it as well. Would you be able to let us know how you wired into CAN for us please. I’ve given it extra power and the functions work but doesn’t come up on MMI screen and VCDS doesn’t see the memory module
Hey I've had a look at the wiring diagram and looks like you need to tap into t54/33 and t54/15, can high and can low.

I'm going to retrofit electric seats myself, just wondering did you run the extra power and ground for each seat?
Screenshot 20230419 163857 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20230419 163806 Samsung Internet

Last edited:
Hey I've had a look at the wiring diagram and looks like you need to tap into t54/33 and t54/15, can high and can low.

I'm going to retrofit electric seats myself, just wondering did you run the extra power and ground for each seat?View attachment 266448View attachment 266449
Yes mate, I used this wiring harness from kufatec

I’ve got power to the massage and lumbar function however after attempting any coding I can’t get any of the controls working through the MMI at all. I’m assuming it’ll need canbus wiring for MMI control but will that run from the Seat memory module or the harness itself?

Yes mate, I used this wiring harness from kufatec

I’ve got power to the massage and lumbar function however after attempting any coding I can’t get any of the controls working through the MMI at all. I’m assuming it’ll need canbus wiring for MMI control but will that run from the Seat memory module or the harness itself?
Okay just to clarify you've powered the seats and the electric adjustment and lumbar works? When you press the massage button does anything happen on the mmi?

Okay just to clarify you've powered the seats and the electric adjustment and lumbar works? When you press the massage button does anything happen on the mmi?
Yep I’ve powered the seats. When I press the button the massage starts however nothing is displayed on the MMI. I’m assuming can connections needed now. Do you know where the wires exactly go to from the Seat side? Is it one of the plugs or is it the memory module?

then then T54 you mentioned is that the module under the rear seats or somewhere else? Might attempt it tomorrow if I know exactly what I’m doing

Yep I’ve powered the seats. When I press the button the massage starts however nothing is displayed on the MMI. I’m assuming can connections needed now. Do you know where the wires exactly go to from the Seat side? Is it one of the plugs or is it the memory module?

then then T54 you mentioned is that the module under the rear seats or somewhere else? Might attempt it tomorrow if I know exactly what I’m doing
Okay so the wires for the can connections are only for the memory function, which connects from the memory module to the can which is under the rear seat. Ignore this for now if you want to get the massage worming first.

The memory function is different to this as you need to connect a wire from each seat the the BCM (J519). Did you run this wire? When you press the lumbar buttons, does the lumbar work or no?

Okay so the wires for the can connections are only for the memory function, which connects from the memory module to the can which is under the rear seat. Ignore this for now if you want to get the massage worming first.

The memory function is different to this as you need to connect a wire from each seat the the BCM (J519). Did you run this wire? When you press the lumbar buttons, does the lumbar work or no?
The side bolsters inflate / deflate but can’t access anything else. My assumption was that it needed MMI control. I ran it to T73a pin 25

The side bolsters inflate / deflate but can’t access anything else. My assumption was that it needed MMI control. I ran it to T73a pin 25
Yes that pin is correct for the bcm. So did you run the extra wire for the power adjustment and make sure the original power wire for lumber is on the same pin as the lumbar power for the new seats? Only asking as when I powered my supersport seats in the house the electric adjustment and lumbar have 2 separate power wires.

Yes that pin is correct for the bcm. So did you run the extra wire for the power adjustment and make sure the original power wire for lumber is on the same pin as the lumbar power for the new seats? Only asking as when I powered my supersport seats in the house the electric adjustment and lumbar have 2 separate power wires.
I did run 2 extra wires I didn’t mess with any of the existing lumbar wires etc, I put them in the pins that Kufatec had said to. I think it was pins 17 and 5 if I remember correctly? Should I have put one of them into an existing wire? If so which wire into which one?

also regarding memory. From the memory module which plug in the module has or needs can low and high pins?

I did some digging in VCDS, i can see in measuring blocks when i press the buttons on the seat the values change on VCDS so its seeing everything thats being pressed. Must just be a coding issue i assume then. Going to get an expert to take a look tomorrow for me.

Then hopefully I'll wire up the CAN for memory and get that working

I did some digging in VCDS, i can see in measuring blocks when i press the buttons on the seat the values change on VCDS so its seeing everything thats being pressed. Must just be a coding issue i assume then. Going to get an expert to take a look tomorrow for me.

Then hopefully I'll wire up the CAN for memory and get that working
Okay your wiring looks perfect, it was the T17d connector which has pin 15 for power adjustment, pin 17 is the lumbar and pin5 is j519.

For the wiring to the can, the diagram shows that you need to connect to the 20 pin connector (T20l) to the memory module. Pin 14 is to can low and pin 15 is to can high. This is what I can see from the diagram but I would double check.

I'm not sure if you'll need component protection removal for the memory module.

Okay your wiring looks perfect, it was the T17d connector which has pin 15 for power adjustment, pin 17 is the lumbar and pin5 is j519.

For the wiring to the can, the diagram shows that you need to connect to the 20 pin connector (T20l) to the memory module. Pin 14 is to can low and pin 15 is to can high. This is what I can see from the diagram but I would double check.

I’ve wired up directly from the

finally got everything working today

All I had to do was wire some canbus wiring straight from the red plug of the seat to the gateway under the rear bench. It was orange green connector to pin 15 and orange brown connector to pin 33. These go from the male connector in the car for the seat plugs.

Then the Seat module was recognised by VCDS and a little coding and massage is working and memory seats

if you need coding help I can post my admaps etc