a4 sport 17 inch 5 spoke tyre size. what was the factory size?

VagCabby

Reaction score
I have an A4 cabriolet sport. I recently had a puncture so I put my spare alloy on. When I did this the car was pulling drasticly, thought the tyre proberly had low pressure so I pulled up to fil it with air and notice the tyre size is different to all.my other wheels on the car. The car is fitted with 4 245/45 17 continentals and the spare is a 235/45 17..... What was the factory tyre size for this car?

This prompted me to check mine.. I have 225/45/R17 on all 4, with a 235/45/R17 spare..

I'm due new tyres and will replace with 235/34/R17s this time..

Many people go down to 225 width tyres as they are cheaper but they also effect the rolling diameter, so your spare is larger than the others now...which isn't ideal. As you say, go back to 235 when you change them, or swap the spare to 225 to match the rest. It'll just mean your speedo is a little bit out.

if you change the profile it will change the speedo , but not if you change the width .

But the profile is changed since the profile is a % of tyre width. It's not 45mm high, it's 45% of 225 or 235, therefore it's changed.

Look on a tyre calculator online, and put both sizes in, it'll show you the rolling diameter difference.

Reactions: jimmcgee
According to the etyres calculator..

Difference between 225/45 and 235/45 is 1.42%, 9mm bigger.
Difference between 235/45 and 245/45 is 1.4%, 9mm bigger.

So not huge.

I did notice that 225s are cheaper..
I have been thinking of getting some 18" fat fives and need to figure out what size tyres I'd need for those and how much they cost..

Yeah, the size difference isn't huge, but I believe you are supposed to have the same size tyres per axle, and if you have a quattro I think all 4 are supposed to be exactly the same too.

18's standard size is 235/40/18 i think.

I haven't looked at tyre prices for 18's, but i know fat 5's are generally quite expensive wheels, but a damn sexy wheel at that! They are an a8 wheel as standard, so are often sold with huge tyres which won't fit the a4, or may cause rubbing. But, you could try pick up a set and flog the tyres to recoup a bit of cash.

I collect my Fat Fives tonight, they have 255/45 18 tyres fitted, which will be too big.
I might try them for a giggle, but I fully expect them to rub so I'll have to replace them.

I'll see what condition the tyres are in and if I can get some money back by flogging them on ebay.
I'm not sure if I should attempt to refurb my 17" 5 spoke sport alloys and sell those, or sell them as they are - I took photos of them the last time I washed the car.. wet kerbed alloys look better than dry ones. :)

According to the etyres calculator..

Difference between 225/45 and 235/45 is 1.42%, 9mm bigger.
Difference between 235/45 and 245/45 is 1.4%, 9mm bigger.

So not huge.

I did notice that 225s are cheaper..
I have been thinking of getting some 18" fat fives and need to figure out what size tyres I'd need for those and how much they cost..

It's the rolling radius that's important - at 60mph the 1.4% in radius actually translates to 3-4 mph.

So if your speedo is already 5% out (some more) then it's nearer 10% with a downsize.

Mine reads about 8% out with 205/55/16 winter tyres on (205 and 215 are standard fit - I don't think the speedo's were recalibrated).

With 235/40/18 Avus' it reads about 3% out, so 30 means 30 (near enough)!

Check it with GPS (phone) for accuracy.