A4 Tdi tuning - which model tunes best?

koonl

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got an A3 1.8T which is unmolested, mainly because I know I want to upgrade to an A4 Avant Tdi in the near future. I plan to chip it but not sure which model to go for. I want the model that improves the best from a chip or remap, and be able to keep up with the big boys like Beemer, Jag and Merc diesels! Oh, and as well as being cost effective (ie. is a 2.5 V6 better than 1.9 due to bigger torque, therefore worth the extra, or 1.9 better than 2.5 V6 for the value)

What other tuning options are there for the Tdi models, as I can't see much in the Carnosseur mags?

Thanks

Koonl -

will this be a brand new vehicle, or a second hand one? If so, whats your budget / age target, as this will have a bearing on the advice given you as the engine and tuning options vary!

If it's the 2.5 V6 Tdi, then it'll be the 2002 model (52 plate). I'll definitely buy second hand, around 3-4 years old. My budget £9k, though I will be tempted to go more if it had all the gizmos and excellent ability to chip.

On another point, what is the "PD" engine and when did this come out, and what models have this?
Thanks

PD stands for Pump Duse, VAG's version of high pressure diesel technology, gives good torque over a small rev range, but not quiet as refined as common-rail systems used by other manufacturers.

I would have thought you would struggle to purchase a 52 plate Avant for £9K. Unless it was the 100ps model with high milage. The reason I say this is my brother recently bought a 1.9 Tdi on a 03 plate for around £13k. The 2.5 models are more pricey again.

Happy hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Sorry, I meant I'd be looking around 9k for the lowest spec model, though I would go up to £11k if it meant a bigger engine with performance/equipment at £11k. I've seen a few for around £12-13k, but by next year I'm hoping they'll come down a bit in price.