A4 TQS N/S rear ABS ring

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
So I can't see one when I pull the ABS sensor out!

I swapped the old ABS sensor out a couple of weeks ago as I suspected it was dead as the last time I looked it had been 'slightly' covered in iron filings and the end had been pushed too near the ring and marked it. When I pulled it out this time it was very badly worn at the end and covered in LOTS of iron filings. I changed the sensor and the ABS light went off for about 5min then came on again...it's only now that I've gone back to it a third time and looked inside the hole to see there's no sign of the ABS sensor ring being there. Putting 2 & 2 together I'm wondering if the iron filings were probably the remnants of the ring as it disintegrated.

I called the stealers and they say it only comes as part of the whole CV joint @ £200.

I then researched on here and found this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/abs-ring-damaged.142369/ which gave me this part No: 443 614 149A

I gave that No to the stealers again who said 'yes, that is an ABS ring but it's not listed for your car, it's for an avant.'

GSF don't hold it but Euro do have one.

1. Does anyone know if the Avant part No will fit the saloon?
2. If not can anyone point me to somewhere the correct part can be bought?

You need to heat it to cherry red and then plop it on the CV joint - making sure you have previously cleaned it.
Make sure you get it the correct way round - IIRC there is a chamfer that goes toward the joint.
If you balls it up, pull it off quick or it'll shrink on.

Bad news is the iron fillings are the sensor rubbing against the teeth so you'll need to replace that too - make sure it is in correctly next time.

Normally corrosion under the ring causes it to split.
I was too jewy to buy a new one first time one went so I Oxy-Acetylene welded it and filled a new tooth around the join.
I couldn't be ***** when another went so got one from ABSreluctors.com or something similar.

So....

....axle out but the toothed ring....above link....is 'significantly' smaller than the face of the CV joint.

ID of the ring is 63.9
OD of the CV is 69.3

Will heating it up really stretch it by 6.5mm?

So everywhere I look says that my model needs a 63.9mm ring. That size will never fit.

Where the 01 face lift rear axles a different size?

Any ideas where I'd be able to source one?

Thinking I may have to get something custom made....

Is this for a TQS? i have a few CV's in the shed i can measure up for you, as well as a new replacement ring i'll measure as well.

Very late reply...:flushed:. I've been driving without the ABS working but seeing as I need to replace the rear calliper I'm as well spending some time getting this sorted too.

Yes, it's for a early '01 TQS saloon, near side rear axle. I think it's probably somewhere nearer the 68-70mm internal face.

Does the No of teeth matter? I've found a ring on buycarparts which may fit but it only has 42 teeth? http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/nk/7276032

Thanks

yes the number of teeth matters.

I will measure up a CV for you shortly, all the rear joints i've seen are the same, they cant be larger as they need to fit into the bore in the rear of the bearing housing.