A4 vs S4 ride comfort

grainqey

Reaction score
Hello and sorry for the strange thread!

I wondered if anybody can compare the B9 suspension as far as the ride comfort goes, the B9 s-line suspension seems to be quite well damped and good at absorbing the bumps

Is it possible that people can compare between the normal A4 s-line and S4 or, if people have experience of it, how does the B9 S4 compare to the B7 s-line suspension for comfort as the b7 is quite a bit more crashy from what I've experienced from a B9 A5 s-line.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Hi Alex
I have owned a A4 B9 S-line and now have a S4 B9.5 .

I think the suspension setup feels very similar between both cars. The S4 is a little less crashy and more planted, but it's a heavier car and is AWD vs the 2WD A4.

As you can see, ride height it very similar. Both cars have 19" wheels.
IMG 1123

Reactions: grainqey
Hi Alex
I have owned a A4 B9 S-line and now have a S4 B9.5 .

I think the suspension setup feels very similar between both cars. The S4 is a little less crashy and more planted, but it's a heavier car and is AWD vs the 2WD A4.

As you can see, ride height it very similar. Both cars have 19" wheels.
View attachment 214914
Thanks for that, just what I was after I'll have to sort a test drive
Thanks
Alex

Interesting thread, Im looking for an adaptive suspension car which is a rare option. But Im wondering if a standard setup would be ok for UK roads.

Hi
I have also owned a B9 A4 Sline and now have a B9 S4
The S4 has adaptive suspension, so the comparison is not so easy I guess, however I would say the A4 I found was a rather a harsh or as previously described crashy ride especially on our pot hole ridden roads. On smoother surfaces was happy with the car though. Quattro might improve things,
The adaptive suspension makes a huge difference I think. But as already stated could also be impacted by the 4WD of the S4, the A4 I had was FWD, did once have a B7 sline Quattro and that seemed better from memory..
If you can find a car with adaptive suspension that’s the way to go in I my opinion, Comfort or Auto settings on poor roads and dynamic when you want to have some fun..

I thought as much! They are like rocking horse poo at the moment. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi all ive just traded in my 2018 A4 black edition which had 19 inch wheels it was also specced from new with the comfort suspension (not adaptive).
ive now got a S4 2017 with standard suspension and i can hardly tell the difference. i found both were fine on other roads.

Another interesting POV! Waiting to testing drive a car but dealers are click and collect only at present.

Hi
I have also owned a B9 A4 Sline and now have a B9 S4
The S4 has adaptive suspension, so the comparison is not so easy I guess, however I would say the A4 I found was a rather a harsh or as previously described crashy ride especially on our pot hole ridden roads. On smoother surfaces was happy with the car though. Quattro might improve things,
The adaptive suspension makes a huge difference I think. But as already stated could also be impacted by the 4WD of the S4, the A4 I had was FWD, did once have a B7 sline Quattro and that seemed better from memory..
If you can find a car with adaptive suspension that’s the way to go in I my opinion, Comfort or Auto settings on poor roads and dynamic when you want to have some fun..

Your comparison between b9 a4 and b7 s-line's I recently had an s-line a5 sportback as a courtesy car and it was alot comfier ride over the b7 (note my b7 is an avant if it makes any difference) I'm surprised that you say the b9 is so similar to the b7

Thanks

Your comparison between b9 a4 and b7 s-line's I recently had an s-line a5 sportback as a courtesy car and it was alot comfier ride over the b7 (note my b7 is an avant if it makes any difference) I'm surprised that you say the b9 is so similar to the b7

Thanks
Well i guess that goes to show it’s all very subjective.
But I actually said that ‘ from memory my B7 was a better ride than my B9 S line’ but just my opinion of course.
All I can add is - an Sline with comfort suspension, differing wheel sizes or Quattro could all easily make a difference.
But to my knowledge have never tried either model with comfort suspension.

Well i guess that goes to show it’s all very subjective.
But I actually said that ‘ from memory my B7 was a better ride than my B9 S line’ but just my opinion of course.
All I can add is - an Sline with comfort suspension, differing wheel sizes or Quattro could all easily make a difference.
But to my knowledge have never tried either model with comfort suspension.

Thanks for the info, I've now ended up with another question though - is the b9 s-line available with comfort and presumably sport suspension or simply normal suspension and mag ride?

Thanks

No experience of S4 but I think the sport suspension on the B9 is way better than it was on the B8.
I had a B8 model with sport suspension and 17" rims and it was very crashy and not very compliant. The B9 with 18" or 19" wheels is still firm but just feels better damped and not as crashy. I'm certainly very pleased with it and would not want it to be different on that score.

The current A4 S-line, B9.5 or whatever, is no longer available with comfort suspension, only sport I believe, 23mm lower than standard. Audi probably deleted it as very few S-lines were ever specced that way, and it would just be another configuration to test with WLTP etc.

The B9 S-line, like mine, was available with the comfort suspension but they are very rare, and to my eyes look all wrong with massive arch gaps.

I don't believe Quattro makes any difference from a suspension point of view, only traction, where it is obviously better. I did have a B9 S-line Quattro for a couple of weeks once in the winter and it was great for traction, but rode exactly the same as mine as far as I could tell.

Both the B9 Sport and comfort suspensions are great, immensely better than the B7 and B8. They are firm/have little movement but well damped. Basically great high speed ride, not so great around town.

Buy a car with air suspension if you’re really fussy and want a waftmobile, they are in a different league.

Think Quattro Audi A4’s have independent rear suspension compared to the torsion beam of FWD.

I’m not sure about the B9, never looked into it, an independent suspension would provide better handing and ride comfort while cornering.

If anyone has had a look under please clarify if this is the case.

Really surprised why adaptive is such a rare option. I had it on my S4, and it was a must have for me on my change to S5. It does a damned good job of ironing out the bumps and thumps..

Think Quattro Audi A4’s have independent rear suspension compared to the torsion beam of FWD.

Pretty sure all A4 B9s have independent rear suspension, mine certainly does and its FWD. I don't believe there is any mechanical difference other than possibly different springs and dampers between the sport suspension FWD car & Quattro version.

TBH no manufacturer has put torsion beam rear suspension on this class of premium saloon for ages. I know its still used on many smaller cars though like the lower powered A3 variants and smaller.