A5 2.0TFSI (225) Quattro...now running Bluefin

Daron Phantom

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently remapped my 63 plate A5 using Bluefin- thought i'd post a quick review.
I spent quite a bit of time searching t'interweb, looking for other people who'd remapped this particular variant- but was disappointed with the lack of information I found.
So hopefully, by posting this review- perhaps some people will find it useful.

When I purchased the A5 back in January- I was pleased to see that some of the household name companies like Revo and Superchips were able to remap this particular version via the OBD port. There was no need to remove the ECU, which was the main reason that stopped me from remapping previous cars
....and so began the research!

Without going into too much in depth reasoning, I decided on Bluefin. Even though I know the Bluefin remap is a bit more conservative than some of the other remap companies- it ticked the right boxes for me.
The extra power seemed about what I was looking for.
Cost was reasonable.
I liked that ability of being able to remove and reinstate the map via the device at my own wish (for servicing/warranty etc).
The guys at Superchips were also great- very informative and helpful. I phoned them a number of times with queries before I went and bit the bullet and ordered the unit.

Installation
I was a little nervy about the whole process, seeing as it was DIY- i'd read some horror stories about people 'frying' their ECU's!
However, I thought there were probably a lot more positive experiences out there than negative- we all like a moan when something goes wrong, but how many of us actually make a point of telling others when things have gone right? (That was my logic to go ahead with it anyway!)
It was a doddle!
I followed the instructions to the letter. The whole process of uploading/downloading files, waiting for emails etc took a few hours, but before I knew it I was ready for the final stage- the remap upolad.
The final installation of the remap to the ECU took just a few moments.
The car started straight away. No signs of coughs or splutters or strange noises, as others have raised in the past.
Time for a spin :)

Performance
The car before the remap was no slouch- but there was a serious amount of low down turbo lag, and I just felt the performance didn't quite hit the mark.
Not so any more!
Going by the super chips website- the car has gained about 50 bhp. Impossible to know unless put on a rolling road, but in theory, the car should be producing in the region on 275 bhp now.
It certainly feels it!
Lovely stuff!
The power delivery was very smooth before the remap..and still is after- however, when the turbo kicks in, you do get pushed into the back of your seat a lot more.
1st, 2nd and 3rd gears from a standing start are rapid.
Likewise, rolling pick up using 3rd or 4th also allows you to gain speed rather quickly too.
You can be on the wrong side of the law pretty effortlessly! (Not that I drive any faster than the legal limits, obvs)
This remap seems to work very well with the quattro system. I've mashed my right foot to the floor on a few occasions- and theres still no sign of wheel spin!
I think you may get a few more problems if you put this remap on a FWD variant, however.

The A5 is a beautiful looking car- theres no doubt in that. I personally just felt that the performance didn't quite live up to the sporty looks.
Now it does.
Don't get me wrong- its no S5/RS5 rival...but its not too far off!

Economy
Now, I didn't exactly buy this car for economy reasons and I was quite aware that remapping the engine of a petrol variant would most likely have a negative effect.
That being said- i'm actually presently surprised!
Lets be honest- If I drive everywhere with a heavy right foot, i'm going to average something silly like 12mpg.
However, driving conservatively around town will actually return 30mpg- thats more than I was getting prior to the remap!
I recently did 2 long journeys to Manchester. 1 before the remap and 1 after. On both occasions I managed to return 420 miles out of a full tank. Slightly disappointed that I didnt return more after the remap (given that town driving has produced higher mpg), but still- all that extra power (fun) and no loss in economy...its impressive.

Conclusion
I've been driving around with the remap for about 2 months now. I (so far) only have good things to say about the whole experience. I know there are plenty of other remaps out there that would be considered better by the remap connoisseurs among you ,but for me, this one works brilliantly.
I would quite happily recommend Superchips/Bluefin as a perfectly good product and a great remap for anyone considering the modification.

Thanks for reading- hope this comes in handy for anyone considering taking the plunge!
I'm off to burn some V-power...
Ciao for now!

Reactions: Neil_M, CHEZ, Audib5fan and 1 other person
Nice write up and glad your happy.
I tried a bluefin on my 120ps A4 and although they unlocked the ecu the remap wasn't great. The turbo boost control was either on (75%+ throttle) or off and they never managed to smooth it out even after about 5 additional flashes and with myself helping them out with VCDS logs.
I don't think they quite got to grips with how the requested torque and calculated torque impacted the boost control logic (I have some remapping skills and knowledge from other marquee). They were helpful though a listened to my feedback and no doubt they could of done it if I had returned the car (they had already had it to unlock) as they requested, but I'm nigh on 4 hours away, so I threw the towel in and got a refund.

Some people may of found it acceptable and quite liked the kick of the on/off turbo. But with my own tuning knowledge and 20+ years driving turbo''s I knew it wasn't quite 'mapped' correctly. Up'd a few thresholds 'yes' and adjusted the obvious fuel/timing parameters 'yes', but there must of been other control logic in the lower powered 120ps base code that needed a bit more understanding.

Last edited: