A5 3.0 TDI S-Tronic & Remap

Djwoody

Reaction score
Hi.
I currently own an A4 B8 3.0 TDI (2008 Manual) and now have the opportunity to buy my mate's A5 3.0 TDI S-Tronic (2009 plate).
They are essentially the same engine I believe - 240bhp.

Do any of you own this model in the S-Tronic? If so, are you happy with it or have you had any problems?

Also, if any of you have had a Remap for the S-Tronic, would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks
Chris

I own a 3.0 TDI STronic.

I must say that before this car I always said that I would not own a diesel or an Auto, I was so wrong on both accounts!

The engine pulls like a train and the S Tronic is perfect for either lazy motorway miles or paddle shifting through sweeping B roads.

Not had the gearbox mapped but the engine is pulling around 300bhp and I love it!

Not sure what Gazwould's issue with the S Tronic is but from 3 years experience, the car still puts a smile on my face whenever I climb in.

I own a 3.0 TDI STronic.

I must say that before this car I always said that I would not own a diesel or an Auto, I was so wrong on both accounts!

The engine pulls like a train and the S Tronic is perfect for either lazy motorway miles or paddle shifting through sweeping B roads.

Not had the gearbox mapped but the engine is pulling around 300bhp and I love it!

Not sure what Gazwould's issue with the S Tronic is but from 3 years experience, the car still puts a smile on my face whenever I climb in.

Thanks Swanny.
Did you keep your DPF or not?
What sort of MPG are you getting?

You're welcome,

Yeah DPF is still there at the moment, I do enough motorway miles to keep it clear, I hope!

I'm getting about 37 mpg at the moment from a 50/50 mixture of motorway and country roads.

Of course I always drive to maximise the fuel economy and not the pleasure :racer:.

Hi
I have a 2011 A5 3,0TDi S-Line BE Coupe with S-Tronic (7 speed) box and its without doubt best engine /gearbox combo i have ever had. Mines just turned 40K miles, so no idea how reliable the S-tronic is on high mileage cars....

My sentiments about the car are the same as Swanny356, getting on average 36 to 38 mpg on mixed A & B roads with a bit of motorway and its a real pleasure to drive compared to my old 2010 2.0TDi Quattro Avant.

Not sure what Gazwould's issue with the S Tronic is

Top tip though, make sure the S-Tronic gearbox oil has been changed at 40K mile intervals. (costs £175 at Audi Dealer). Its one of those service interval things that the owners manual tells you to do, but the car doesn't tell you the box oil needs changing - why Audi cannot work that out via the Service Interval display like engine oil servicing beats me !!!

If the S-Tronic box oil has been done, it shows that the owner cares about the car. If it hasn't, well not sure I would buy the car (heard that a new S-tronic box is in the order of £5K to replace btw :whistle2:)

My issue is its future reliability , like everthing , great when it's working , pants when it's not , VAG is not in an era of reliability any more .

Complexity is fragility in my book and I predict alot of hair tearing and raped wallets .

Regarding a full replacement 5k is more like for the box itself and with cheap labour expect the bill to be 10k .

Hi
I have a 2011 A5 3,0TDi S-Line BE Coupe with S-Tronic (7 speed) box and its without doubt best engine /gearbox combo i have ever had. Mines just turned 40K miles, so no idea how reliable the S-tronic is on high mileage cars....

My sentiments about the car are the same as Swanny356, getting on average 36 to 38 mpg on mixed A & B roads with a bit of motorway and its a real pleasure to drive compared to my old 2010 2.0TDi Quattro Avant.

Not sure what Gazwould's issue with the S Tronic is

Top tip though, make sure the S-Tronic gearbox oil has been changed at 40K mile intervals. (costs £175 at Audi Dealer). Its one of those service interval things that the owners manual tells you to do, but the car doesn't tell you the box oil needs changing - why Audi cannot work that out via the Service Interval display like engine oil servicing beats me !!!

If the S-Tronic box oil has been done, it shows that the owner cares about the car. If it hasn't, well not sure I would buy the car (heard that a new S-tronic box is in the order of £5K to replace btw :whistle2:)

Thanks for that info, helped me a lot. As its a friends car I know he takes good care of them. I'll still check the gearbox oil has been done though. At the moment it has done 42k.
I may even be able to swap cars for a few days to see what it's like on a daily basis.
I love my A4 3.0 TDI so I'm sure I'll feel the same in the A5.

Can I ask, when you have the S-tronic in D, can you just tap the paddles and it will switch it over to manual mode?

Yes, you can leave it in "D" and use steering wheel paddles and it automatically switches to M mode, or you can use the gear selector in centre console........if car senses that you are slowing down without dropping manually it will automatically revert to D mode eventually

Me being a complete lazy ar$e I leave mine in D all the time....but apparently car can be more economical if driven manually....not that I can be bothered !

I have had manual cars (as my daily drivers) my whole life and swore I would never go to an Automatic (I do have a 1999 328i BMW Convertible as a hobby car which is automatic (aka slushmatic) ...but the smoothness of the S-Tronic on the 3.0TDi Audi diesels is amazing - you cannot feel the gear changes going on at all.....

By the way my A5 is not chipped or messed about with. If you want to put 300hp thru an S-Tronic box designed to take 240hp then all bets are off with the S-Tronics box reliability....

My issue is its future reliability , like everthing , great when it's working , pants when it's not , VAG is not in an era of reliability any more .

Complexity is fragility in my book and I predict alot of hair tearing and raped wallets .

Regarding a full replacement 5k is more like for the box itself and with cheap labour expect the bill to be 10k .

Very true.....but I only hang onto cars usually for 2 to 2.5 years and then trade up to another 3 year old car ......

Yes, you can leave it in "D" and use steering wheel paddles and it automatically switches to M mode, or you can use the gear selector in centre console........if car senses that you are slowing down without dropping manually it will automatically revert to D mode eventually

Me being a complete lazy ar$e I leave mine in D all the time....but apparently car can be more economical if driven manually....not that I can be bothered !

I have had manual cars (as my daily drivers) my whole life and swore I would never go to an Automatic (I do have a 1999 328i BMW Convertible as a hobby car which is automatic (aka slushmatic) ...but the smoothness of the S-Tronic on the 3.0TDi Audi diesels is amazing - you cannot feel the gear changes going on at all.....

By the way my A5 is not chipped or messed about with. If you want to put 300hp thru an S-Tronic box designed to take 240hp then all bets are off with the S-Tronics box reliability....

Yes I had a BMW 330ci Convertible, 2002 model with was automatic. The gearbox was awful, felt like an eternity to change gear (probably around a second!).
Can't wait to give it a try now and see if it changes my vision on autos.