A5 Boot Rubber Seal - Surely a design fault?

TimberVD

Reaction score
Have just had a nice surprise when lifting the boot seal on my 2007 A5.

Rust!

There's only one hole in the bottom of the rubber seal which is pointing up. Now I appreciate these holes in the seal are there to let air escape when closing the boot, but when any water goes into the seal, it can't go anywhere but out the top hole, and I assume it pools where the seal meets the metal. When I pressed the seal, some water squirted out the hole!

The only other reference to this I've seen on a Skoda Octavia forum, where they actually made some holes in the bottom of the seal to allow water to drain away.

I can't quite believe this really. I'll have to take the seal off properly, clean it out if necessary of all rubbish. Clean out the rust, primer it, paint it, and then put some silicone grease back in the seal and refit.

I suppose even with a galvanised body, years worth of exposure to moisture with no quick way of drying out, it's going to attack the metal!

Any thoughts would be appreciated?! Is there another way where water can go behind this seal? perhaps from where the rear light rubbery bit is? :blink:

Last edited:
There must be some A5 owners on this forum?

If anyone is bothered, I wrote the fix on a5oc.com. Just google it.