A5 heater 'banging'.. The fix... Pics inside..

Tez_14_2000

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm pretty new here and haven't had any time to post much, but when I first had this problem I asked on here and everywhere else and couldn't find a sensible answer to the cure... I was sad one person even say they just turned their stereo up?!?

In any case, this was the problem...

A month or so after I bought my a5 (2008 model with 60,000 miles), I had jst left the house when there was a loud popping or sort of plastic banging came from my dash. It would bang over second or so for 12-25 seconds at first... Then stop for a bit... Then come back.. But for different periods of time. I could tell it was the heat box, near the top of where you'd expect the matrix to be.... Best discribed as behind the left side of the nav screen, below the left side of the windscreen vent...
Eventually it stopped and I heard no more from it for months, until the autumn.... When it came back with a vengeance. It was almost non stop, and irritated me so much I parked the car up and wouldn't drive it.
I done some digging online and spoke to some audi mechanics etc and Noone could give me a definitive answer as to what it was, Noone had fixed it before. I found this odd because there seemed to be a handful of others online complaining of the same thing.
In general tho the concensus was the same, a heater motor for the climate control that was either on its way out or broken.
I'm in car body work and am fairly handy at most things but stripping a dash on an audi didn't sound like fun, I had done a couple of Hondas etc and even they were a nightmare and very time consuming.
In any case I couldn't find anyone who was willing to do it that I would let work on my car (especially interior, if not done right your left with squeaks Abd rattles all kver the place) so I decided that over Christmas I'd have a go myself at pulling the dash out in the hope to get some answers.
So about 6 hours later, I had the car stripped and could see the various motors that work the climate control.

Turned out it wasn't a motor, but there was a plastic mount which held the passanger side blend motor (temp control) into place which also clips over the gear on the heater box which moves the flap. This had broken and so the gears were slipping over one another, and with ever tooth that slipped, obviously I would get this banging sort of sound.
I rang audi and they stocked the part (again pointing to the fact that they must sell them on a regular basis, thus this I presume if a common problem).
When it arrived I used a 2k apoxy glue we use in work to reinforce the bit that broke on the old motor holder and built the car back up again... Another 4.5 hours later..Job done! Problem fixed.

And this is where you guys can really benefit if u have the same problem...
With the dash stripped out I could see how the motor was held in etc and it's actually on a slide, and the only screws holding it are to one side of the heater box.
Also, the main heater motor and it's housing which is behind the glovebox is actually held into place by a single sliding clip on top of the assembly.
So once I knew the car was fixed I tried removing the motor again with this new knowledge...to confirm the theory that there's an easy way of doing this...

Remove the govebox, remove the left kick panel from the foot well, remove the two heating ducts infront of the heater motor housing, reach up the top where this joins the main heater box and there's a white plastic slide which u lift and pull.. The heater box falls away at the top and lifts out of two locators at the bottom, once that's gone, there are two screws which are tricky to get at but accessible... The motor holder simply slides out with the motor inside it!!!
Locking the motor housing into its slide and correctly getting the gears interested and everything right can be a little tricky from here but it's doable when u know what's going on at the top (which u can't see with the dash in place obviously)... But all in all it makes this a 40-45 minute job when u know what ur doing!!!

So I hope that there's someone who can benefit from this, I'm sure it's a problem others have had.
If nothing else, the images are interesting to see what's in there.

Cheers,

Terry.

DSC_2098.jpg

DSC_2102.jpg

DSC_2103.jpg

Here u can see the white motor holders location ontop of the hear box, roughly where I thought the banging was coming from:
DSC_2105.jpg

The broken holder, no longer holding the gears together properly :
DSC_2106.jpg

U can see the missing bit of plastic toward the bottom of the photo on the old holder on the right in comparison to the new holder on the left:
DSC_2113.jpg

DSC_2114.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: desertstorm, epox, Chris76 and 3 others
My god that's a load of work for a rattle!:respekt:

If I'd seen my car in that state even at Audi I'd have serious concerns.

Hope it all went together ok and no more bangs.

Great write up.

Puts my fears over the glovebox light install well and truly to shame!:sorry:

AMAZING write up! I've got the exact same issue and this has made my day (year) :)
I've replaced the white bracket and yes the clicking has gone.
Problem I have is I disconnected all the arms (Blue green black etc) and not sure how to reconnect them all. Wish I'd have found this post a week earlier Haha.
Again...thankyou so much!
Anyone any ideas how to put all arms etc back correctly?
Any advice is MUCH appreciated.
Audi S5 Ice Silver.

S5 Heater parts 1
ok I've been digging a bit more. Apparently the heater case (6) can be detached from the heater duct (1). Has anyone done this or know anything about it?

Oh. Was at work when posted last comment. Was very easy to detach in the end when I got home :)

Reactions: Tez_14_2000
Sorry I only just saw these comments.

Hope u got sorted ok.
As I tried to explain in the original post... The heater box is just on a sliding clip.. There's a locator lug needs put right at the bottom of the joint between it and the centre console heater matrix box when replacing the motor housing but is self explanatory when your looking at it. :)

Reactions: Chris76
I did Tez. Really happy with the fix :)
Went on to fit cruise as well:) Again...thanks for your write up

I know it's an old post but I have the exact same issue with the S5 I've just bought, I'll be doing the fix tomorrow so thank you for taking the time to post this.

Cheers..

I have this same issue but I cannot see the attached photos - can someone help please - newbie

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have the part number for the bracket that’s broke? Think I have the same issue on my S5 I just purchased. Great in-depth post by the way Tez thanks. Hope you can help. Terry

Reactions: Ryan Evans83
"The motor holder simply slidesout with the motor inside it!!!"

This line helped me lol. I got to here and was wondering how it came out, so thanks.