A5/S5 Pre-Buying Advice

AllBlack-All7

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking to buy an A5/S5 for the other half. I'm personally not a huge fan purely from a looks perspective, but she loves it.
She currently has a 2012 Audi TTS, and I have a 2012 A7 S-line and a 2014 Q7 S-Line Plus both with pretty much almost the entire options list stuck in!

We've test driven a few A5's and done all the usual dealer based investigations etc, but I thought I'd come you guys that are existing owners, because in my opinion owners are the true EXPERTS.

Are there any common issues that I should be aware of?
What's the best engine to get. Bearing in mind my girlfriend isn't a thrill-seeking petrol head!
Should I look at getting a a new one, or would she be just as happy in one that's a few years old? (save me some money!)
What is the opinion on Manual Vs Auto box? She'd prefer the Auto, but it's not a deal breaker either way.

Cheers!

If you are looking at 2012 onwards, then no major issues I know of. Petrol vs diesel depends on number and type of miles as usual. Buying new is pretty attractive with current discounts (about the same price as a 1year old nearly new car from Audi).

S-Tronic is stunning, wouldn't go back to a manual personally, but again, personal preference.

Have driven the 2.0TFSI FWD and now the 3.0TFSI S5. Would definitely get quattro. Petrol costs are very similar between the 2.0TFSI and 3.0TFSI, but servicing and other costs may be higher. Im personally glad I went with my heart and got he S5 over the new 2.0TFSI quattro as MPG difference was about 5!

Cant help you with diesels. Think the newer 2.0TDI with 190PS is a big improvement over the 170PS, but both are pretty trumped by the 3.0TDI by all accounts I've read. Although running costs look quite different between these diesel models (about 10mpg difference).

Sportback more practical than Coupe, but again, a preference thing. Black Edition is very well specced so could save a lot on options there. Although the S5 BE doesn't come with Nav, so need to add tech pack high.

Fantastic cars :)

Reactions: Shrek5
If you are looking at 2012 onwards, then no major issues I know of. Petrol vs diesel depends on number and type of miles as usual. Buying new is pretty attractive with current discounts (about the same price as a 1year old nearly new car from Audi).

S-Tronic is stunning, wouldn't go back to a manual personally, but again, personal preference.

Have driven the 2.0TFSI FWD and now the 3.0TFSI S5. Would definitely get quattro. Petrol costs are very similar between the 2.0TFSI and 3.0TFSI, but servicing and other costs may be higher. Im personally glad I went with my heart and got he S5 over the new 2.0TFSI quattro as MPG difference was about 5!

Cant help you with diesels. Think the newer 2.0TDI with 190PS is a big improvement over the 170PS, but both are pretty trumped by the 3.0TDI by all accounts I've read. Although running costs look quite different between these diesel models (about 10mpg difference).

Sportback more practical than Coupe, but again, a preference thing. Black Edition is very well specced so could save a lot on options there. Although the S5 BE doesn't come with Nav, so need to add tech pack high.

Fantastic cars :)
Wot he said! :iagree:

Reactions: Swanny356
Thanks very much for that concise insight!
The SportBack is definitely the one as we have kids.
When you say Black Edition, in the A5 is it literally just the Black Optics on the exterior, or there are other standard features?
She does ALOT of miles each day( commutes daily from Glasgow Airport area to Berwick-upon-Tweed).

Yea mostly black exterior bits (and a more aggressive bumper), but also black inlays, flat bottom steering wheel, AMI and Bang and Oulsen. Personally, I prefer the tinted windows and black trim rather than the chromey bits. Works very nicely on Ibis white, Daytona Grey or Sepang IMO.

Would say the new 190PS 2.0TDI quattro or 3.0TDI if she wants a bit more performance/grunt then. Check out CarWow etc for discounts on new (about 18%), otherwise there probably isn't a shortage of used cars in that spec.

Looking at the spec of the BE SB, I would probably add the assistance package (bargain at £625 to get ACC), LED interior lights (£150), Folding Mirrors (£180) and hill hold (£65). Not essential, but things I like to have.

Never saw the point of hill hold before I finally added it to my build, now I swear by it!

Thanks for that. I think I'll go the new car route. I'll just spec it exactly how my two cars are specced. I'm an avid fan of the black Optics too. Hate the chrome. (part of why I haven’t yet ordered the new Q7).
I'll look to get the Auto transmission.
Quattro
With MMI 3G+ high(or whatever best variant is available).
Smart key & memory package. High beam assist
ACC
Bose Sound.(the B&O is not as great sounding in my opinion). Reversing camera.
Heated, Dimming, folding mirrors.
And any other treats I've forgotten to list!

Colour: Black is the only colour for me! I'm a big fan of the stealth look: black paint, black alloys, black optics and tinted windows.

Thanks for that. I think I'll go the new car route. I'll just spec it exactly how my two cars are specced. I'm an avid fan of the black Optics too. Hate the chrome. (part of why I haven’t yet ordered the new Q7).
I'll look to get the Auto transmission.
Quattro
With MMI 3G+ high(or whatever best variant is available).
Smart key & memory package. High beam assist
ACC
Bose Sound.(the B&O is not as great sounding in my opinion). Reversing camera.
Heated, Dimming, folding mirrors.
And any other treats I've forgotten to list!

Colour: Black is the only colour for me! I'm a big fan of the stealth look: black paint, black alloys, black optics and tinted windows.

I suspect you may be right about the Bose, but unfortunately its not an option on the A5. B&O or standard. A decent aftermarket sub will do a lot to improve the B&O though.

Do miss my black A5...something about black Audi's isn't there! Although being OCD about my car detailing i don't miss maintaining it....!

I'm the same with my car detailing! And my love for black cars are totally at odds with it. Living in Scotland simply adds salt, vinegar, and Hydrochloric Acid to my gaping wounds!
I don't care though. If it's raining on my weekly wash day, I go wash my car in the multistorey car park ofy friends apartment block!