A6 2.0 S Line Ultra TDI Black edition - Newbie question ?

wisp13

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Newbie here, and 1st post so hope you'll be gentle.................Recently picked up my ( 9 month old ) 2L A6 S line Ultra TDI Black edition Auto with 7k on the clock, and I'm delighted with it, lots of toys and drives really nice, but need to pick your brains. I'm covering mostly motorway miles ( 1,500 in 1st month of ownership ), and although I'm driving like Miss Dairy at around constant 65mph, I'm only getting 44mpg - I've checked brim to brim, and the numbers are correct. Is this about right for this car, as I'm quite disappointed by the low mpg return as to what I expected to get. I'm just out a 3 year old BMW 520d M sport Auto, and was enjoying easily 56mpg on average on exactly the same journey, so the A6 is returning 12 mpg less ( - 20% or so ). In your experience, does this sound "normal" for this car ? I've tried it on both comfort & also Auto mode in settings,and there's very little difference on the mileage.

Is this MPG about right, or is there possibly an issue I should be aware of ?

Hope to hear from you guys soon......and thanks !

welcome - 44 mpg does seem a little low, the motorway miles are they in the rush hour?, if crawling along then it will be about right,if averaging 65 mph then it is low.

Mine is the same engine, manual compared to your auto, which does have a lower mpg quoted by Audi - on the trip home from the dealership averaging 55mph I got 55mpg in a new engine over the 255 mile journey.

welcome - 44 mpg does seem a little low, the motorway miles are they in the rush hour?, if crawling along then it will be about right,if averaging 65 mph then it is low.

Mine is the same engine, manual compared to your auto, which does have a lower mpg quoted by Audi - on the trip home from the dealership averaging 55mph I got 55mpg in a new engine over the 255 mile journey.
Hi Mcwharam...nope mostly late mornings and not a great deal of traffic jams to affect MPG, that's why I thought it looked a bit odd. I did get an A6 courtesy car from the dealership a couple of weeks ago for a day, and the MPG was way up into the high 50's............I've had a look online, and the auto box is supposed to return higher MPG than a manual, which only confuses me more ! :-(

Anyone that has any thoughts as to why I'm experiencing this, I'm more than grateful to hear what you think..........

Thx

Anecdotal opinion is that the latest Audi 2.0 TDIs (across the model range) don't start to achieve their max MPG until they get to about 20,000 miles.

Reactions: Audimad
Hi Yep Rhyso, tyre pressures were the first thing I thought of in case they were way too low & causing excess drag....but i've set fronts at 37 PSI & rears at 33 and car feels more planted. I'm surprised that 20k miles is the magic number for best MPG Retroman, as the A6 courtesy car I had 2 weeks ago had 1800 on the clock & was giving high 50's ? Can't wait till i'm doing some mileage around town, as the MPG will probably drop like a stone to high 20's if the last 3 weeks is an indication :-( . :wtf:

Anyone own an oil well & refinery ???

Check if you're leaving aircon or heated mirrors switched on. Having the mirror switch in the middle leaves the heaters on. You can check it is the DIS by selecting trip computer then press the star button on the steering wheel then select efficiency monitor (or something like that)

Interesting topic as I've found this fairly similar with my 16 plate Ultra.

Highest MPG I've seen is just over 50 which was actually on a fairly short run (15 miles) and usually sitting around 45-48 on motorway journeys and commuting on A-Roads.

My car's done 6k miles so I'm hoping the figures improve a bit as the engine beds in more as is suggested online. Another idea I had was that perhaps the big 20" rims contribute to lower figures compared to say an SE model on 17s?

Deliberate master plan by Audi, the cars get traded in after 3 years with 30k on the clock and the new, second hand owner enjoys 60 MPG :highly amused:

i did a 140 mile trip at the weekend on the motorway without stopping and hit 57mpg average, my car only has 3000 on the clock

try efficiency mode

i did a 140 mile trip at the weekend on the motorway without stopping and hit 57mpg average, my car only has 3000 on the clock

try efficiency mode
Hi Andy

Yep...tried efficiency mode, but still sitting at 44.6mpg.......think this may be a job for the dealer, but wonder what they could do to make it more efficient ??

I picked up my 16 plate 2.0D ultra a few months ago with 6K on the clock, now 14k. From when I picked it up I rarely get below 50mpg with a mixture of town/country runs to work. On the motorway sitting around 75 I usually get around 54/55mpg and about 40 to 45mpg around town depending on traffic.