A6 Avant 2.0 clutch

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Since I had remap done by @BobbySingh 2 years ago, car's clutch couldn't cope with upgraded power, if pushed hard. Even on a 3rd or 4th gear it is slipping.
If driven normally, it performs as standard.
Bobby also confirmed that when I came back to him so he had to reduce some of the power.

Well, been today to a couple of garages to finally get a quote for that job.
Knew it isn't going to be cheap and kind of confirmed my predicament.

One garage I go to to mot the car, quoted me £980 for Valeo set of DMF and clutch kit, with labour. As I have sent many people to them and We know each other, got a final price if £880.

Second garage I had braked replaced two years ago, gave me two options and prices.

Option 1 is DMF with clutch kit an labour and vat (wtf?) @ £1,040

Option 2 is to go for the solid fly wheel conversion and clutch kit with labour and vat @ £960.
No discount offered as guy I know wasn't there. Think, it wouldn't be big discount, if there would be any.

Second garage recommend the conversion as they did loads of them and are better, future wise and are cheaper. Their claims, it doesn't make a difference to the torque, power, performance and I do not need to worry about it in the next time.
Next time? Just clocked shy over 103k and I can still drive the car, as it should be driven.
They also recommended to consider upgrading the clutch to a better one, like a racing/stage 1 one but it will increase the cost. Well, an extra £50-100 is more but still could justify it, if I would see performance or torque improvement. Think I would go for that.

What do you guy think about the conversion kit? Is it safe? Is it as reliable? Is it worth it?

Apparently, LUK or Valeo doesn't do conversion kits for their own clutches and products so the quote from the second garage had to be based on conversion kit from one brand and clutch from the other brand. At least that's what I have been told

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

SMF should be a lot cheaper than the DMF kit, so I would be looking at a cheaper price than what you have been quoted. Do a bit of research as you may be able to find the parts a lot cheaper, and just get someone to fit them. Also a lot of people that have the SMF conversion complain about "chatter", so if you want to keep the car "as is" you may want to stick with a DMF. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241374

Reactions: KrisKrk
Thank you @B5NUT for useful info.

Wouldn't like any more noise/chatter coming out from the engine but it if comes as a price in exchange for performance, it would be something to consider for me.
On the other hand, I'm not racing on them streets, am I?
So it comes to performance kick need when overtaking or wanting to shoot off from lower speed.

Seen few YT videos regarding DMF and why they're there and kinda a like the idea of it's purpose.
Couldn't however get any info on the combo of DMF with a better clutch like stage 1 or something.

Will this deliver more lifetime and performance compared to standard kit?
Is there big price difference?
Anyone here run this combo? Would appreciate the feedback.

DMF has nothing to do with performance, it is there purely to smooth out the huge torque spikes produced by modern common rail injection diesel engines. It reduces stresses in the crank and gearbox components.
I wouldnt advise ever changing a DMF for a solid flywheel version. It is reasonably common to see ford engines which have been converted to eat harmonic balancer pulleys and in the extreme snapped cranks!

Steve

Your current setup has lasted 9 years, and lots of miles.. I would just replace like for like, as I bet you won't have the car in another 9 years.

Guys at the second garage, who recommended the change said, it is perfectly safe and lasts years.

I am planning to keep the car as long as I can. Too much work and love went in it just to give it to someone who will never appreciate it. Being sentimental here but also the value of the car has dropped sooo much that, it would be not economical to sell it.

Met the guy at aitp who is the first and only owner of a A4 from 2004 i think. He's from States and travelled all the way to Germany himself to collect the car from the showroom.
After several years of tlc and modifications, he still drives it with the same passion.
Liked that in him and kinda got infected of that.

I'm not going to invest huge amount of monies in performance mods like he did but will maintain my A6 so she can drive me till the end of hers or my days.

Will end up going with DMF and standard clutch but not for now.
Car still drives and is useful on normal daily basis, of what me and my family need.

Thanks guys for any advice

Forgot about this thread ...

Had clutch and DMF replaced about this time last year. Car was very responsive from the very first minutes of drive.
Now well settled in and is still much better than it was.

Guy said that, clutch wasn't in the best shape but it wasn't worst either.

Didn't want to upgrade it to performance parts then but thinking now ... I should
Oh well ... will do it maybe next time
a92e3059e3b075f1abef05055269476f.jpg
e485f26885df4a238ccef4cc34fdabd5.jpg

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro