A6 Avant 2.5 TDI

enda1

Reaction score
Guys. Going over to England in a 4 or 5 weeks to get the above car for my sister `01 or `02 with leather and quattro if possible. For peace of mind will probably be buying from trade to get a warranty. Is there anything specific I should look out for on this engine during test drive/inspection and anything on the service history to check for.
thanks.

My 02 2.5TDI has 86K on the clock and going well. Look out for cv boot on the outer driveshaft, these will go at about 80K miles. You will see cracks in the large crease if its not been replaced. If multitronic gearbox then ensure oil is changed every 40K miles, oterwise don't take the risk. Suggest you ensure FASH as its easy not to do the g/box oil change correctly. Otherwise no other problems.

Any problems just let me know.

Bought mine with 109000 on in December from audidiesels.com, can't fault them although some may consider them expensive. During first 10000 miles had to replace a wheel bearing (they paid), a CV joint, the N75 valve (they paid), air filter was knackered.
FSH a must would accept nothing less buying from a dealer
Cam belt changes MUST have been done on time.
If there are gaps in an FASH then an Audi garage should be able to check on their intranet if it has been done somewhere else but not stamped in
Check what power the engine is, (service book inside the front cover) there are 3 variants 150 163 and 180hp (take the PS figure and multiply by 1.3 approx). Pay accordingly.
There are 2 servicing interval options, 10 and 20k, the oil spec varies. Check the computer to see when it thinks the next service is and how that matches the book. Turn on ignition and press button on rev counter side of dash, central display should tell you when next service is due.

Check wear on rear tyres, alignment on quattros is adjustable on all 4 wheels but the rears on mine appeared never to have been touched causing very bad wear on the inside of the tyres, difficult to see. If its a dealer get it up on a ramp and look underneath.
Check there's an alloy spare under the boot floor not a steel one. Check there are locking nuts on all wheel, and there should be plastic covers on the wheel nuts and Audi centres in the wheels
If it has Xenons check the auto dipping is working and all the lights work they are dear to replace
If its a sport check the electric seats work
Look for CD changer in nearside compartment of boot. Tool kit should be in there too with jack wheel bolt wrench and the adaptor to fit the locking whel nuts
Red triangle should be in compartment in boot lid
The V6s don't pull much below around 1800rpm. After that they should go and go. If they don't suspect the MAF or the N75 is at fault.
If its rattling or clonking there's a problem. Mine is at 146000 now and there are no such noises
The only thing that doesn't work on mine is the AM on the radio
Hope you find a good one, they are great cars

What is an N75 valve? and how does one know its not working?

Hey FJtwelve thanks for the info.
My sister went and bought a 05 Saab 95 2.0t with 19,000 on the clock from a dealer for £11,700. Not my first choice but at that price I can see why.

shabazmo said:
What is an N75 valve? and how does one know its not working?
Controls boost pressure, mounted next to the turbo, looks quite like the EGR valve
If it ain't working you have almost no power and acceleration, lots of smoke

Check gearbox if multitronic they can be slow to go.
if Using an Audi dealer for services and repairs be prepared for big bills my 2002 has had over £8500 spent on it with less than 100,000 miles on clock. It has never missed a service. there's always something wrong and my services are always around £800-900