A6 Avant 2008 2.0TDI Shrudder/hesitation when accelerating

Smgray315

Reaction score
For a couple of months when I started the engine sometimes I heard a rattle similar to what I thought was an exhaust clamp loose, but I never really paid it much attention as it only happen every now and then.

A couple of weeks ago while driving every time I let off the acceleration the noise was there, it sounded like the exhaust was going to drop off to me.

Since then I have had a hesitation/vibration/stuttering around 1000/2000 revs, that disappears when I go higher, but then starts again when the revs drop below 2000.

There are no faults/engine management warnings on the car. I recently took the car to the local garage I use and they could not find anything wrong at all and they believe it's the auto transmission which is a multitronic. I'm hoping it's not!

I'm taking it to an autotransmission garage next week, but over the phone they mentioned around 3k for a rebuild which is like the worst case scenario and I have my fingers crossed that it's not the issue.

I have the car like 9 months, checking through the history I cannot tell when the last autotramission fluid/filter was changed so I'm thinking getting this done as a first step.

Also, I still think it could be more of an air flow/exhaust/CAT kind of problem. I have checked the CAT/exhaust/manifold and all looks ok, although I have noticed after the car has stopped a loud hissing noise coming from the engine although I haven't tracked where this is coming from at the moment. This is something I'm going to look at today.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- 2008 TDI - multitronic transmission
- not sure when Auotrans fluid was changed last
- vibration/hesitation on low revs/seems fine above 2000
- 120k on the clock
- no engine management light or errors

Thanks

I had a very Bora TDI 150 that shuddered at a specific rev range. I tried every fix possible. I changed the dual mass flywheel. Injection rails.
In the end, it was the 19" wheels put on by the previous owner.

Roadrunner146
thanks - I have standard alloys on still and the tyres are fine. The vibration/shrudder only started a couple of weeks ago.

I've book it into an autotranissions garage tomorrow morning for diagnosis. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not the gearbox!

I had a good look yesterday and cannot see any issues with the CAT / exhaust system. Although the intake pipe for the turbo, well I think it's the intake pipe. What it connects to seems loose (looks like some kind of valve, I think the gasket has worn so there's a little movement. Although I don't think this is the cause of my issue but I'm going to try and replace the gasket. I'll get a picture from underneath the to show better