A6 Avant Black Edition 50 TDI fuel economy?

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Hi,
For those of you lucky enough to own a A6 C8 50 TDI with 20" wheels, what sort of fuel economy do you get when not flooring the pedal? What sort of range does the DIS display after you've filled up (standard tank)? Can't decide whether to get a brand new A4 Avant 40 TDI Quattro - and then later remap the engine to around 250 ps - or go for the A6 Avant 50 TDI.
Cheers

Hi, I have about 4k miles on the clock, around town I get 30-35 mpg, but that's with 15-20 mph average speeds. Motorway journeys average 55 mpg, normal driving not nanny state. Range after fill up for me personally is indicated between 500-600 miles, standard tank.

Reactions: psychopomp1
I agree the gearbox is an acquired taste, but no different to tiptronics in previous models. I don't find the engine noisy at all, and actual has a decent noise once warmed up. This is always subjective and down to personal preference, but yes absolutely make sure you try it out first.

Try a 50 tdi before you buy - lots of hesitation in the powertrain and the engine is noisy from my experience. Its got some shove but we went with the 40tdi.
Yeah i plan on taking the 50 TDI for a test drive. Btw how do you find the 40 TDI? I read somewhere the A6 with the 2.0 TDI (204PS) S Tronic engine feels slightly underpowered for the size of the car. Any truth in this?

If I don't get on with the 50 TDI then I may also decide to take the A6 40 TDI for a test drive as the A6 Avant 40 TDI Black Edition is only 2-3k more than the equivalent A4 Avant 40 TDI Black Edition & with slightly better spec, eg matrix headlights.

I dont feel that the 40TDI is underpowered. Maybe the 45TFSi is worth investigating?

Reactions: Simonwhite2000 and psychopomp1
40TDI certainly not underpowered.

Reactions: Simonwhite2000 and psychopomp1
Thanks, in that case will try out the 40 TDI as well. But definitely won't be going down the TFSI route as I didn't really like the 2.0 TFSI engine in the A4 B9..missed the fuel economy & torque of a diesel.

Thanks, in that case will try out the 40 TDI as well. But definitely won't be going down the TFSI route as I didn't really like the 2.0 TFSI engine in the A4 B9..missed the fuel economy & torque of a diesel.
I think the TFSI has 30Nm less than the 40TDI- not sure how that equates to real world driving.

I have a quattro 45TFSi, and i can honestly say it's amazing for performance. This is my 3rd A6, having had both diesel and petrol previously, and this thing is awesome.

Economy is not great, but that's probably down to my heavy right foot, and the fact that it's so much fun to drive.

Reactions: DaveW
I have a quattro 45TFSi, and i can honestly say it's amazing for performance. This is my 3rd A6, having had both diesel and petrol previously, and this thing is awesome.

Economy is not great, but that's probably down to my heavy right foot, and the fact that it's so much fun to drive.

45TFSI Avant:

I just returned from a 400 mile round trip, mostly A roads and motorways. Managed to get about 44mpg on the open road and 38mpg combined. Not terrifying figures.

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Took the 40 TDI for a test drive yesterday, more than happy with the power so 40 TDI quattro Black Edition with Tech Pack is the one I have ordered (thru Drive The Deal).

I've also spec'd the interior grey/brown trim but this will take an extra 2 months (5 months instead of 3) for delivery. Any idea why the long waiting times for this trim? Compared to the standard silver/aluminium trim, the grey/brown trim makes the A6 look even more classier as I saw it in the showroom on a A7 Vorsprung so happy to wait longer. IMHO welll worth the extra £350 :)

It will be down to it beiong a completley new factory order rather than a modification to an exisiting order the dealer already ahas a slot for. Because you are going via Drive the Deal the dealer involved is probably less inclined to play around with exisiting slots as they are no doubt making less profit on your sale than they are on those where someone walks in to the showroom. Look on the bright side though, your car will probably have a 20 plate not a 69 and it is always possible that the build slot will move forward as production gets committted

Reactions: Paul - Berkshire and psychopomp1
Took the 40 TDI for a test drive yesterday, more than happy with the power so 40 TDI quattro Black Edition with Tech Pack is the one I have ordered (thru Drive The Deal).

I've also spec'd the interior grey/brown trim but this will take an extra 2 months (5 months instead of 3) for delivery. Any idea why the long waiting times for this trim? Compared to the standard silver/aluminium trim, the grey/brown trim makes the A6 look even more classier as I saw it in the showroom on a A7 Vorsprung so happy to wait longer. IMHO welll worth the extra £350 :)

Great that you like the 40tdi. More than enough pull for do to day driving. What external colour have you gone for?

Great that you like the 40tdi. More than enough pull for do to day driving. What external colour have you gone for?
Gone for the Glacier White Metallic - had the same colour on my B9 A4 Black Edition and it suited the car really well so I've no doubt it will also look great on an A6 Avant Black Edition!

Gone for the Glacier White Metallic - had the same colour on my B9 A4 Black Edition and it suited the car really well so I've no doubt it will also look great on an A6 Avant Black Edition!

Excellent. On the S Line white looks terrible but on the black edition it looks great.

Regarding comfort, how do the 20" wheels on the A6 Avant feel? The test drive vehicle i drove was a S-line and only had 19" wheels but they felt ok. I imagine the 20" wheels (standard on Black Edition) won't be as comfy as the 19" but hope the difference isn't huge!
Cheers

Regarding comfort, how do the 20" wheels on the A6 Avant feel? The test drive vehicle i drove was a S-line and only had 19" wheels but they felt ok. I imagine the 20" wheels (standard on Black Edition) won't be as comfy as the 19" but hope the difference isn't huge!
Cheers

I got the BE with the same 20” wheels that you ordered - I was quite pleasantly surprised at the ride comfort considering their size. In sport mode it can be quite rough but that is to be expected, but in normal mode it is quite smooth.

That being said, this is the first car I have owned with low profile tyres and large rims (coming from a ‘09 Seat Leon on 16”).

The BE wheels are stunning IMO, and their look easily offsets any reduction in ride comfort!

I got the BE with the same 20” wheels that you ordered - I was quite pleasantly surprised at the ride comfort considering their size. In sport mode it can be quite rough but that is to be expected, but in normal mode it is quite smooth.

That being said, this is the first car I have owned with low profile tyres and large rims (coming from a ‘09 Seat Leon on 16”).

The BE wheels are stunning IMO, and their look easily offsets any reduction in ride comfort!
Thanks for putting my mind at ease :)

Not impressed with my A6 Pirelli 19" tyres. First puncture after six weeks. Average consumption 40 mpg diesel, 33 around town and 54 on motorway runs. 50 Tdi engine quiet , not quite used to tiptronic box yet. Dynamic setting for car is best, turn lane assist off all, repeat all, the time. It can be dangerous in narrow country lanes if you want to get round a cyclist.. it will fight you when you least want it.

I'm happy to report that on a round trip London to Amsterdam I was able to return 42mpg with my 45 TFSI engine - sticking to speed limits but a fair amount of full accelerations in there.