A6 Bi Turbo

I couldn't care less which is faster, but why you keep deluding yourself?

Firstly, the TFSI is NOT faster in real world conditions at initial or otherwise - see link i posted earlier. Maybe the TFSI is faster to 10mph - who knows or would measure, or care, but at no point is the TFSI faster up to 30mph and every interval thereof. I'm happy you love your TFSI, it does not mean it is not a great car.

Secondly, they still sell the TFSI especially in north America because diesel has an image problem - Americans and Canadians don't like it. They stopped selling the TFSI in UK because it is slower than the BiTDI which arrived after the TFSI and less fuel economic - it made little sense. Audi do not want people tinkering with the cars at all and they are the pioneer of niche busting cars, so they are more than happy to have micro differences between cars, as long as they sell - the TFSI didn't make a case for itself in the UK - this is why you can't buy one.

Neither A6's came with DSG - mine is what they call Multitronic - which is actually a lame auto box but could handle the torque.

Dude, you have a great car - but enough already - the point of the BiTDI is it was the fastest diesel production car in the world - it is the use of diesel which is surprising and amazing - a fast petrol car is not unusual - teh BiTDI is the subject of the post

thread revival, I have a 2002 S3 owned and cherished for 11 years :) as a family man now I was looking at the Bi Tdi. How are those that own one finding it ??? there seems to be a lack of 2012 models for sale in fact theres not much choice out there second hand. Found 1 nice s line but its top book and has a wooden look interior :(

The bitdi came out properly in 2013. The a6 came well specified as standard so higher spec was rare. The cost of the car could get very high also.

The s line looks much better and led headlights are rare which are impossible to retrofit so find one with LED headlights which have much more presence on the road.

It will also help to get sports suspension (much lower) for cornering. Its better at high speed control and comfort. You can tell cars with the suspension as they have a better stance and look better IMO.

Head up dispay is also rare but amazing if you can get one.

Last thing - the surround camera is essential for this car if you value your alloys. It gives a birds eye view of car when parking and given the car is large, its so useful.

Great cars. Mine is well specced but I wouldn't have the sports suspension as I find the s line suspension low enough and it has already scraped on a couple of speed bumps! Great economy for the performance but I need to be aware of my speed as it is too easy to get into 3 figures when you boot it up.
I looked at getting a year old model but it actually worked out cheaper buying new with discounts. My one is coming up to a year and 20k miles. Quite tempted by the new A7 as the rear end looks better now. If I keep it I am seriously tempted by the company in Holland who remap them. One guy has seen just over 400bhp and a big increase in torque. Cost is about £1000.

Agree with the remap. The AWD feels like it can put much more power down.

The height of the car never goes nearly low enough for speed bumps. This would be the compression on the suspension based upon speed.

Definitely the BiTDI was 2012 - we collected ours (one of the first) at the start of June 2012....

The bitdi came out properly in 2013. The a6 came well specified as standard so higher spec was rare. The cost of the car could get very high also.

The s line looks much better and led headlights are rare which are impossible to retrofit so find one with LED headlights which have much more presence on the road.

It will also help to get sports suspension (much lower) for cornering. Its better at high speed control and comfort. You can tell cars with the suspension as they have a better stance and look better IMO.

Head up dispay is also rare but amazing if you can get one.

Last thing - the surround camera is essential for this car if you value your alloys. It gives a birds eye view of car when parking and given the car is large, its so useful.

The BiTDI itself was out in very limited allocation, but not fully, or as I mentioned "properly" until 2013. Supply was short from allocation point of view and there was no black edition until 2013, and many cars that made it had to be made as SE spec with S-Line stuff then added (audi do this sometimes).

I only mention this as the reason why there are not many 2012 models - they simply didn't make many in 2012, and ones they did didn't go up to Black edition. I know because mine is 2013 and i had to order the black edition parts as options in 2013.

The BiTDI itself was out in very limited allocation, but not fully, or as I mentioned "properly" until 2013. Supply was short from allocation point of view and there was no black edition until 2013, and many cars that made it had to be made as SE spec with S-Line stuff then added (audi do this sometimes).

I only mention this as the reason why there are not many 2012 models - they simply didn't make many in 2012, and ones they did didn't go up to Black edition. I know because mine is 2013 and i had to order the black edition parts as options in 2013.

Fair enough! Ours was just a regular S-Line ordered from the book (with lots of options) but not an SE. It's going in June this year - can't believe it's been 3 years and 36k miles already!

out of interest - what are you replacing it with? I'm getting rid of mine, but quite attached to it. Luxurious and fast.

out of interest - what are you replacing it with? I'm getting rid of mine, but quite attached to it. Luxurious and fast.

Either a lightly used RS6 or an S6. What about yourself?

Was thinking RS6 too, but the A6 was just a bit big for me, so would like a new RS3 if any kind of discount can be had. The discounts on RS6 are good at the moment though, which should make used example prices fall soon. Tested the S6 - no point from a BiTDI, you will notice very little except huge depreciation. Also considering C63 - old one.

If you want to know discounts on new ones - I can PM you

thanks for the info , ive found 2 nice examples but the prices seem a little high, seen a 2012 and a 2013 s line models both have 30k ish miles and panoramic roofs. both are 33k approx. which seems high when audi are doing almost new s lines for 8 k more just slightly less optional extras.

Still going to be hard to part with my S3 after all this time lol

My friend has a 2012 bi turbo for sale, but its done 75k full audi service history and I know a lot of the mile have been motorway as he often works in europe and drives there. Anything I should be cautious of ???

thanks in advance

As long as its had its oil changes / servicedby the computer, then it will be fine.

Engine is solid.

thanks thats what i believe too , its just hard to work out what its worth, looking at pricing sites anything from 19k to 26k

The lowest priced BiTDI you can find is over £30k, so try to consider what the extra mileage is worth to you, but that mileage means it has to be motorway miles which is a better life for the car, brakes, stresses, seats etc.

Usually excess miles has a negative perception on price, so it would in theory mean it should be much more devalued than normal.

Hi all, sorry to have to resurrect an old post, but due to baby no 2 on the way and now having tried to fit a double buggy in the back of an s3 (it doesn't!) I'm looking for some space.

A6 BiTDI seems to fit the bill, will need to take one out for a spin, but one question I have is relating to the LED lights mentioned in one of the posts above. I've found a car I like the look of, but the description doesn't mention LED as such - but the pic of the car leads me to believe it has....

Can anyone on here confirm?

Many thanks!

Hi all, sorry to have to resurrect an old post, but due to baby no 2 on the way and now having tried to fit a double buggy in the back of an s3 (it doesn't!) I'm looking for some space.

A6 BiTDI seems to fit the bill, will need to take one out for a spin, but one question I have is relating to the LED lights mentioned in one of the posts above. I've found a car I like the look of, but the description doesn't mention LED as such - but the pic of the car leads me to believe it has....

View attachment 64224

Can anyone on here confirm?

Many thanks!
Yep they are pre-facelift LED headlamps.
Cheers,
Dave

Yep they are pre-facelift LED headlamps.
Cheers,
Dave

Gotcha. Again probably a stupid question, but, are these matrix esque LED that switch on and off in line with traffic ahead to avoid blinding - as they do on the new LED options on the A6 or are they 'just' fixed LED?

(Have been hunting on line, but can't seem to find any information on them!)

EDIT: Just found the info - they are static - but very much better than the Std lights it seems......

Last edited:
They are static as the LED's dont't move but the whole unit is dynamic. The will flick on extra led's on bends and manage your beams. I also think it has some sort of levelling as it's always at the optimum angle.

The new matrix LED are worth it if you drive country roads at night, otherwise the standard lights are good enough. The new lights are all LED so down to preference - almost as much ad panoramic roof.

Reactions: gordie1973
Same as woollyje said: the individual LED's are "static", but each one has a different task and the switch between modes very smoothly - look at the youtube demo's to understand: it works with your satnav, etc to work out the road type to do a "flat" beam profile rather than the "raked" one when you're on a dual carriagway... plus speed limit and speed-sensitive, so the beam lengthens as your speed increases and because of the sensors and with the fast reaction time of LED's they can do proper auto-dipping high-beams... also the pilot lights (lighting around corners) are a lot smoother than the 90's versions of these that always felt a bit contrived (e.g. Mitsubishi 3000GT) and also properly light up the road.... really noticable on steeply banked roundabout exits and as a novelty when you're parallel parking :)

Speaking of parking - I think that one in the picture also has the auto-park that mine has (which is a bit of naff novelty tbh), but it does give you proper 360deg parking sensors... v nice :)

And yes - legally it has to have auto-levelling as with all LED/HID beams...

Would I pay ~£2k extra for them over Xenon's? Probably not... Would I pay £2k extra, if the only other option was halogens?... without a doubt.... LED's are definitely a nice to have and they make the car look properly mean, but I wouldn't kill myself to get those over factory fitted Xenons...

Thanks Bahn, have just received the options spec from the dealer, and doesn't look like it has the auto park, which I'm not that bothered about. It is specced to an unreal level though.... Heads up display, advanced key, electric seats, heated rear seats, electric blinds, Full LED, Bose..... The list goes on ..... Heated steering wheel anyone????

One thing on the options list was "dashboard code 6RB" - no clue.....

Going to go and have a test drive on Thursday, it is a saloon, but from what I've heard the boot is cavernous - so should be able to get all the baby stuff in no problem.... Well less problem than an s3 sport back!!! Looking forward to my first diesel test and see if it's something I'll love.....

Last edited:
Looks like 6RB is the order code for the electric rear sun blind and manual side ones...

Order Code "3Y5 6RB" : Electric sun blind for rear window, manual sun blinds for rear side windows. Only available on Saloon models.

The only other reference I can find are for "3Y3 6RB" - which is the equivalent sunblind pack for the Avant.... or restrictions around certain colour packs (beige or titanium grey) that are only available with the sunblind options....

Thanks All,

Here's the spec:

Vehicle Specification

Optional extras

1. Equipment and design packages

WB4] Technology Pack
-[UF7] Audi music interface
-[6E3] Front centre armrest
-[9Q8] Colour DIS
-[9ZW] Phone prep - High with Connect
-[UJ1] MMI touch
-[7T6] MMI® navigation plus
-[8YQ] Radio system for MMI plus

3. Wheels/tyres
[PQS] 20x 8.5J 5-segment-sp alloys
-[F16] Audi exclusive cast aluminium alloy wheels, 5 segment-spoke design, size 8.5J x 20
-[H2G] 255/35 R20 tyres

10. Seats/seating comfort
PV3] Electric fr seats, driver mem
-[7P1] 4-way lumbar support
-[3L4] Electric fr seats, driver mem
-[4A4] Heated front/rear seats

11. Seat upholstery/leather trim

-[7HE] Leather covered door armrests

14. Steering wheels/gear levers/selectorlevers/controls
-[1XT] 3-sp leather mf sw paddle/heat

22. Assistance systems
-[KS1] Head-up display

4. Lights
-[QQ2] Ambient lighting

PX2] LED headl / high beam assist
-[4L6] Interior mirror with automatic anti-glare action
-[8X1] Headlight washers
-[8N7] High-beam assist
-[8EX] LED headlights
-[8Q4] Headlight range adjustment
-[8SK] LED rear lights

15. Air conditioning
-[9AQ] 4-zone climate control

7. Locking systems
[PGD] Advanced key with hands free
-[4F2] Advanced key w/out hands free
-[GZ2] Power door closure

5. Mirrors
-[6XL] Ext mir elec/fold/heat/dim/mem

8. Glass
-[3Y5] Rear win blind elect, side man

17. Other interior equipment
-[6RB] Dashboard code

Colours

Interior trim colours S line/coloured stitching seat upholstery col. stitching/dashboard/carpet/headlining
-[QE] black/black-black/black/black

Exterior colours (metallic)
-[4N4N] Oolong Grey, metallic

Standard Equipment
Uncategorized

[PB2] Black edition
-[5TL] Inlays, Piano finish black
-[UF7] Audi music interface
-[8RY] BOSE surround sound system
-[4KF] Privacy Glass
-[QV3] DAB digital radio
-[4ZD] Black styling package

[PQD] S line exterior package
-[2K7] Reinforced bumpers
-[8X1] Headlight washers
-[0NB] S line logo, exterior

[WQR] S line package
-[6F1] S line badge
-[6NQ] Headlining in black cloth
-[7P1] 4-way lumbar support
-[0NB] S line logo, exterior
-[5TG] Inlays, Matt-brushed aluminium
-[Q1D] Front sports seats
-[1BE] Sports suspension
-[N1V] Valcona leather S line emb.

Seems to be the full ticket! Having a test drive in the morning, so will see how it feels..... Although have been forced by the wife to take the double buggy, travel cot, 2 suitcases, and a kitchen sink (probably) to see if it all fits in the boot of a saloon....

There is an Avant at the same dealership, a year older (2012) and quite a lot more mileage, but with similar spec...... It's a bit cheaper but way ahead of what it should be.....

Couple of things - I'm not sure about the wheels, would a dealer be able to swap them over with the 20" rotors or does that spoil the listed specs?

Finally when did the indicators start doing the "swoosh" pattern on the rears? Was it the 2014/15 facelift or can they be programmed on the pre facelift?

Thanks all!

Wow that's some spec. The "dynamic" or "swooshing" indicators were part of the facelift. I don't know if the pre-facelift ones can be reprogrammed.

Wow that's some spec. The "dynamic" or "swooshing" indicators were part of the facelift. I don't know if the pre-facelift ones can be reprogrammed.
Can't be reprogrammed. Someone on another board changed them but it was a near 4 figure sum to do it

So, I went ahead and bought the Bitdi BE saloon, mentioned above 2 years old and only 10500 miles.

Had it 2 days now, and all I can say is wow....!

Comfortable, quiet, spacious, well equipped and that engine, it's the star of the show....

Due to various bank holiday commitments I haven't had a huge amount of opportunity to take it for a big drive, but had a bit of a run around this afternoon..... Noticed the slight hesitation when flooring it as the engine management / gearbox work through the torque, and the associated (in my opinion) needless requirement to kick-down with a slight prod on the accelerator - to the extent I've actually left the car in Economy and let the torque do the work for me). Seems to work in and around town, doesn't matter what gear I'm in 5th/6th/7th, it just surges forward with no problems. I suppose for the absolute last word in top performance dynamic would be the choice, but am happy to play around with it as time goes on.

Steering is a bit light in and around town, but seems to weight up nicely as speed increases.

Exhaust rumble is good fun too! (Mrs wouldn't believe it was a diesel, even from start up!)

All in all - early days, but over the moon with the purchase....

More updates to follow. (And pics of course when it stops raining.....)

Reactions: GeoffDunk
The car soemwhat learns your driving mood asnit were but ultimately you are experiencing the turbo lag plus the time it takes the car to work out that you want to go faster plus the time to chane to right gear.

Its fine when you set off from lower speed 1st or second gear, but not great if you're cruising at speeds like 20mph even.

You end up with an over boosted engine and no need.

Thanks Wooley, I assume it's just a case of learning the cars habits and adjusting driving style accordingly or are there dealership updates that may not have been uploaded / patched?

(Don't get me wrong, the car is superb and a keeper, but would just like to try to make it perfect if possible!)

G

Manual over ride is only way round it.

If you hit the paddle, it temporarily places car in manual mode. Thats how i get round it. You shift down one gear manually and it shifts up automatically at red line.

Basically, if you think you will do spirited driving, stick it in manual and do your own shifting. If you are setting off at lights as it were, it will just launch once revs are up and first turbo kicks in about 1800 revs.

In case you didnt know- when the gear knob is in "D" if you push the gear stick down again ( has spring like action) you put car in sport mode. This works whatever ther drive mode.

If i still have car, MTM do a good bitdi tune that may help

Just tried the manual override and the "s" mode and yup, different animal, and much more what I was expecting. Brilliant amount of difference, especially (as you say) when the turbo comes on song!

Also tried the reversing mirror trick, and it has also worked - brilliant!

One small thing though, and it is tiny - the DAB volume won't go any higher than 6 on the volume mark for some reason....... FM and CDs work fine, but DAB seems locked in a mini mute. Had a fiddle this morning and switched off and on etc but no joy. Happy to take it to the dealer and get them to have a look, but thought there may be an more obvious answer that I've missed!!

Going to enjoy this car, and hopefully given a few weeks may even be able to give some answers here to make up for my newbieness!

I'm looking for one of these now too, after one with a sun roof

Honestly, it is the most sublime car I have ever owned, (everything from an E60 M5 to a Lexus RX400h!!!) you got to try it to believe it!

Just a point that was raised on a thread here today is that the roof is occasionally problematic and can cost £160 to check come service time!!!!

There are no issues but they are different as a result of the increased power over the non twin turbo diesel. For example, the Twin turbo has the same brakes as the SQ5 (just not painted). The gearbox is same as RS6 to cope with the massive torque too.

Also - they hold their value much better than all other audi's because volume is sol low - there would be minimal company car buyers probably the main reason for small supply.

Reactions: IceHanger
well Ive just managed to swap the wifes scirocco for a 2012 A6 Avant BiTdi. Shes still on the fence with it but I love it :) . its done 90k but feels like new.

Reactions: IceHanger and gordie1973
What is the reversing mirror trick?