A6 C6 AllRoad Headlight Help

Cue_Ball80

Reaction score
I wonder if someone can help, this is my first post here. I recently bought a 2008 A6 C6 3.0TDI Allroad (UK, Right hand drive).

I scanned it using my OBDeleven to see if there were any faults, which there were, clearly not been cleared for years, these all cleared and never returned apart from one.

Whilst scanning the ODBeleven threw up a code for the adaptive headlight on the drivers side (which is a major fault that wouldn't clear - 02234). That then threw up the light on the dash which I had never seen before and that wouldn't clear either (Adaptive Headlight Failure).

Upon further inspection I found that the 5A fuse had been removed from the drivers side dash panel (fuse 18 for adaptive headlights). Upon installing a new fuse, the fault cleared on the dash and the OBDeleven.

I then inspected the drivers side headlamp itself. It appears that it's not actually secured to the car properly, as if someone has kicked it, breaking all the plastic mounts on the headlight assembly but not the lights or electronics themselves. Its actually pointing upward slightly now I look at it as it isn't aligned with the top of the bonnet or wing at all.

Obviously it will need a new headlight assembly which shouldn't be too hard to source second hand (hopefully). My problem is that the part number on the existing unit is 4F0 941 004 CR.

I can't find that anywhere online. I can find loads of 4F0 941 004 BC units that are listed as being xenon and adaptive. Does anyone happen to know what the last two letters mean?

My next worry is why the fuse was pulled and why it didn't throw a code on the dash before I scanned it (unless someone deactivated the adaptive system by removing the fuse, knowing the headlight aim was out, given the headlight unit wasn't actually pointing in the right direction as its not secured properly, perhaps for an MOT, but how they stopped the warning from coming up on the dash after pulling the fuse is beyond me).

Any assistance appreciated.

To add to this, the part number on the passenger (left) side has a part number of 4F0 941 029 EH, thats recognised online as being the unit for a car with PR codes of 8EC and 8Q5 (which I have). This means that the wrong headlight (or updated part number) has been installed on the right side at some point. I have PR codes of 8EC and 8Q5, which means I have dynamic and beam bending/cornering in my headlights. I just want to make sure the replacement I get for the drivers side (right) is the correct part.

I would suggest phoning your local Audi dealer, have a chat with the parts department. They should be able to take your reg/vin and give you the right part number (including the latest revision) for your car. Also they will probably give you a price which will make you jump :greedy dollars:

Thank you - I did just that a few days ago and was given the part number 4F0 941 030 EH (or CR at the end, as EH superseded CR). The cost was £995 and had been on back order for several years suggesting its no longer made.

An extensive search of breakers, Ebay and FB Marketplace turned up no second hand parts at all.

For anyone else having this issue, here are the results of my research.

Pulling the fuse from the drivers side fuse board, removes the dash board warning for 10 ignition cycles before a full system check is performed, which throws up the dash warning again (hence why it wasn't doing it when I bought it and why the fuse wasn't there).

These light are prone to their internal cable insulation cracking and eventually falling off, causing short circuits and dash warnings. There is a solution that involves removing the headlight and replacing the wiring, but it will eventually fail again.

The long term solution is to code the AFS out of the headlights altogether, returning them to standard Bi-Xenon headlights, which is the option below AFS but above standard halogen headlights. This is easily done using VCDS or OBDeleven.

For anyone thats having the same issue, a video on how easy it is to code the adaptive headlights out of the system is here:

Broken or snapped headlight tabs, which secure the headlight to the car are an easy fix, using a kit specifically developed by the manufacturer, part number 4F0998122. The old tab is cut away and a new tab is snapped into position and then firmly screwed into place. It seems Audi realised that their complete headlight units were expensive and shouldn't need to be replaced just because a plastic tab had snapped, so they designed this into the headlight mouldings, as there are actually already holes in the headlight moulding, that receive the screws in the "fix" kit.

A video on this can be seen here:

So now I have a firmly secured Bi-Xenon headlight and no annoying dashboard warnings at all - And Like most people who have done this, I've noticed absolutely no difference in night time driving. Meaning that this early adaptive headlight system, whilst ahead of its time, wasn't actually doing a great deal anyway.

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing