A6 suspension durability

Bayleaf

Reaction score
I am becoming increasingly concerned about the durability of the suspension on my A6 (1999 avant 2.4). I know at 94000 miles its not exactly in the first flush of youth, but it is wearing out at an alarming rate. No sooner has one bush/shock absorber/link arm been replaced then another one starts to rattle. I'm begining to think these cars are meant for smooth continental motorways only and are simply not up to the job of rough and pot holed British country lanes.
I can feel a reluctant swap for a Discovery is on the cards.

the suspension arms are pretty common - I have replaced three in the last 3 years but then my motor has done 185K and on a 98 plate. Its them blasted speed bumps causing us all an increase in maintenance costs!

Mines is on 125K on a 99 plate and never had to replace anything so far but just had it though the NCT (Irish equivalent of the MOT) though it had a problem on the suspension and was dreading the time/cost of new arms but it tuned out to be only the Anti roll Bar links that needed replacing. The roads around here are crap but no speed bumps on our journeys so as meatchi says maybe these are the culprits

The multilink is an issue but TBH the arm's aren't that expensive or hard to change if your a mechanicaly minded person and got the tools, the only issue is there are a few of them, I just replace as and when neccessary, the car is otherwise faultless

If you have problems with them going on a regular basis then its wise to buy genuine next time and make shure the garage tighten them with the wheels resting on the ground otherwise they shear off in couple of months !

Hi All, another newbie here. I've had similar problems with my A6 Avant 2.4 99 with 132kmiles. Had most front bits done over the last two years by my 'Local man' who is extremely reliable. He has usually used non-Audi parts and even these are not that cheap. Guess it's the balance between car value/life span and expectations. Any further views on Audi v Non-Audi parts. Noted the comment that the rol bar links should be torqued up with car on wheels rather than on the jack. Why ?? Good site. Thanks

My A6 99 tdi eats front drop links ("C"links) at the rate of one pair a year even using Audi parts. The other problem that I have found is that directional tyres exaserpate any weakness in the front suspension and I think they may even cause some problems.

"Gerty" is now coming up to 142000 miles and in the three and a half years I have had her (60k miles) I have replaced every single front suspension part including shocks, at least once. The biggest single difference to the handling and feel has just occured when I replaced some mid-range directional tyres for some new Pirelli P6000s....The difference is amazing and with the new shocks I am back to throwing her around like a sports car.

The other thing to be aware of is that the top suspension mounts (The 3 bolts) HAVE to be fitted properly. A full steering geometry test will show up anything wrong with the camber which is the most affected - It is worth getting this checked becaus if it is out it will put a great strain on the front suspension components.

Buy cheap, buy twice ! Use quality Lemforder or Meyle suspension arms and they would last another 8-10 years, maybe less with the new speed bumps wich are everywhere !

My A6 99 tdi eats front drop links ("C"links) at the rate of one pair a year even using Audi parts. The other problem that I have found is that directional tyres exaserpate any weakness in the front suspension and I think they may even cause some problems.

"Gerty" is now coming up to 142000 miles and in the three and a half years I have had her (60k miles) I have replaced every single front suspension part including shocks, at least once. The biggest single difference to the handling and feel has just occured when I replaced some mid-range directional tyres for some new Pirelli P6000s....The difference is amazing and with the new shocks I am back to throwing her around like a sports car.

The other thing to be aware of is that the top suspension mounts (The 3 bolts) HAVE to be fitted properly. A full steering geometry test will show up anything wrong with the camber which is the most affected - It is worth getting this checked becaus if it is out it will put a great strain on the front suspension components.

Thats very odd, I've done 30k in 5 years, I don't use my car alot now, It's lowered 40-50mm had complete new suspension (shocks n springs) few years back nothing too special tho, the camber is a few degrees out as i always get inside tyre wear and so my 20" tyres don't last more than 12k will need a new set soon.

But TBH I drive my car very nicly, which is prob why I don't get many issues, but on the other hand I have 20" wheels on lowered suspension which makes the ride harder and camber out slightly which I'd expect to have an adverse effect on wear. BUT travel is reduced on my suspension which may account for low wear, oh and my TDi is on 176k so no low miler!

Anyway just my experience, somewhat little different to the norm, But all it well

Buy cheap, buy twice ! Use quality Lemforder or Meyle suspension arms and they would last another 8-10 years, maybe less with the new speed bumps wich are everywhere !

The only solution is to get a descent make parts. IMO the est way of doing it is just change whole lot at one go. I know the costs but it will save you time and labour money on changing bit by bit from time to time. As soon as first one goes bad, the other ones are not that far from failure.

Bumps are the worst cause of problems with our suspension....