A7 C7.5 Steering wheel upgrade

jimbojet

Reaction score
Hi
b05cfa05382964b409b56e4bee0d2278.jpg

all,

Done loads of research on this and think I’ve managed to decipher what can and can’t be retrofitted to the A7!

I’ve a 2016 A7 3.0tdi with a round (non heated) steering wheel. I want to upgrade it to a ‘chunkier’ flat bottom if I can.

What I’ve determined so far (I think!);

- With my round wheel I could only use my airbag on another A6/7 round wheel as the airbags for the flat bottoms are different!
- If I want a flat bottom I will have to buy both a wheel and bag combo from a similarly aged C7.5 (A6/S6/RS6 A7/S7/RS7).
- Other variant wheel and airbag combos won’t fit my C7.5 as my cars cable is only interchangeable with C7/C7.5 airbags. So they means A1/3/4/5 and Q series wheel and bag combos won’t fit as the cables are different.
- Newer C8 wheel and bag combos won’t fit either for the same cable issue reason.

So, I believe my only plug and play option is to buy a used A6/A7 C7/C7.5 flat bottom with bag combo. That said I’ve seen a few posts where owners have retrofitted (or claim to have) combos from other variants such as the TT.

Ultimately I don’t want to have to add ‘modules’ or tamper with airbag cables to make any wheel work, but what other options might I have and is my research correct????

Hopefully this will help others too as I’ve done loads of research and can’t find any definitive answers!

Many thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RAF_S7
For mine I went onto ebay searched flat bottom and a seller who customs wheels will pop up. You can send your wheel and they'll send you the one you ordered once received or you can order it and they'll refund you the price of your wheel when it comes. They had loads of options for materials and trims and I absolutely love mine. Found it was the best bet for me...hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: SlapNutz
Hi James,

Didn’t realise you were already a member here!

This is the wheel I fitted.

2017-04-21%2010.44.06_zpsduzdf4j0.jpg

I’ve had this one a while - was fitted to my 2014 A7 and transferred it to my S7 a few years ago.
This is an original RS7 wheel, but I purchased the airbag separately. After a lot of faffing around with eBay I ended up purchasing from the dealer.

Any flat bottom wheel from the A6 or A7 range (C7/7.5) will fit (not the C8) and the model badge at the bottom is changeable.

Good luck finding what you want.

Cheers,
John.

Reactions: SlapNutz, RS3 S. and jimbojet
Hi James,

I’ve had this one a while - was fitted to my 2014 A7 and transferred it to my S7 a few years ago.
This is an original RS7 wheel, but I purchased the airbag separately. After a lot of faffing around with eBay I ended up purchasing from the dealer.

Any flat bottom wheel from the A6 or A7 range (C7/7.5) will fit (not the C8) and the model badge at the bottom is changeable.

Cheers,
John.

Thanks John, yes been a member for a long time after many years of owning Audis.

Must say this steering wheel has been a nightmare in deciphering what does and doesn’t fit. Thanks for your help, made it a lot clearer.

I’ll keep an eye out for the A6/7 flat bottom and bag combos which occasionally come up. Shame as I’d loved to have retrofitted the newer TT wheel and bag.

Thanks again and I’ll update here with any progress!

Cheers J

Hi James,

Cheers,
John.
...........now this would look so good on my RS6!!!!! it's stunning mate.

I'm hoping someone has knowledge of retro fitting an S7 flat bottomed steering wheel onto an A7. Functionality between the two wheels is exactly the same. Will the airbag from my 3 point A7 steering wheel fit into the 3 point S7 steering wheel with the flat bottom? Based on what James originally said the answer is no, are they physically different or connections inside different?

Attachments

• IMG_7319.jpeg
    IMG_7319.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_7318.jpeg
    IMG_7318.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 746
Hi, I’m in the same position with steering wheel…. I’m on an A6 owners page on Facebook and a member claims to have used a RS4 wheel on his A6 C7. Is this correct? My current wheel is the round one…. I’d like the flat bottom wheel which is from a RS4. Are they compat?

Attachments

• 41E11148-4E04-432C-8DE0-AA5766FF998B.jpeg
    41E11148-4E04-432C-8DE0-AA5766FF998B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 269
  • 267B5E24-4CEB-4A55-A54B-C86ACF9F0BA6.jpeg
    267B5E24-4CEB-4A55-A54B-C86ACF9F0BA6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 363
Hi, I’m in the same position with steering wheel…. I’m on an A6 owners page on Facebook and a member claims to have used a RS4 wheel on his A6 C7. Is this correct? My current wheel is the round one…. I’d like the flat bottom wheel which is from a RS4. Are they compat?

I can tell you the answer to my original question was no, you need an airbag from a flat bottomed steering wheel to fit a flat bottomed steering wheel, can't use one from a circular wheel. I made sure I bought the airbag from the same car as the steering wheel came from. Fitting was ok no issues. Not sure if an RS4 wheel would work. Even if it fits the plugs etc might be different so the controls on the steering wheel may not work as expected. If the donar car was an A6 I know it would work with no issues. But if you are going from circular to flat you will need airbag as well as the wheel.

I can tell you the answer to my original question was no, you need an airbag from a flat bottomed steering wheel to fit a flat bottomed steering wheel, can't use one from a circular wheel. I made sure I bought the airbag from the same car as the steering wheel came from. Fitting was ok no issues. Not sure if an RS4 wheel would work. Even if it fits the plugs etc might be different so the controls on the steering wheel may not work as expected. If the donar car was an A6 I know it would work with no issues. But if you are going from circular to flat you will need airbag as well as the wheel.
Ok, thanks very much for your prompt reply. I would have been convinced an airbag from a round wheel would fit a flat bottom steering wheel! Glad to find out that isn’t the case

Ok, thanks very much for your prompt reply. I would have been convinced an airbag from a round wheel would fit a flat bottom steering wheel! Glad to find out that isn’t the case
I did quite a lot of reading and asking around and everyone said the same thing...won't fit. Never actually tried it but took the advice given, made it more cost effective by selling my round wheel and airbag.

I did quite a lot of reading and asking around and everyone said the same thing...won't fit. Never actually tried it but took the advice given, made it more cost effective by selling my round wheel and airbag.
I’ll go that route my self. Thanks again

Reactions: AndyB40
Picture 1 - s3 flat bottom dsg
Picture 2 - A7 circular wheel

Now I will try this way - dual stage bad from A5/A4 to match flat bottom wheel , then I will swap the cables from my A7 airbag to the new one so my steering buttons will keep working. As well as I will swap the S3 wheel buttons with my A7 so they can match ..
Have the same wheel as pic 4 because of the flappy paddles - live them !
Wish me luck
8b8585f01dc115583bf6d87182de11c7.jpg
4318ae2ffcbd9dbd5ea5d72380617cc6.jpg
fe32d5eeb0e2d68c3ee7a0de863506e9.jpg
29065ef880f52a475d2aeb8617491e1d.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: audiA7kidd
Hey dude, I recently fitted an RS7 steering wheel and airbag to my 2013 A7 and it works perfectly(including paddle shifts). If you need any info give me a shout.

Not sure mate but the one for my RS7 is the top airbag with the purple bits.

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
In the process of doing the things :) the buttons were swapped from the S3 wheel so now everything work as it should
The bag must be correct one not only any dual stage
762450b476c67925fd754263bb022d70.jpg

Reactions: audiA7kidd
Was a pain to find the right airbag but here is the result. S3 wheel with the new type flappy paddles and airbag for A7 flat bottom.
Buttons from my old wheel were swapped as the S3 wheel buttons look same but they are different can't be more happy

c01d0136f61dad83b741b0e226ddbd93.jpg

4f348a43f44b8d01e725b4b24a6d5a04.jpg

hello, did you get the new steering wheel complete with the airbag or you purchased seperately? asking if a A4 A5 B8.5 Airbag will fit correctly on the RS steering wheel.the mounting looks the same, but maybe it could be different at the airbag connectors. Thanks!

hello, did you get the new steering wheel complete with the airbag or you purchased seperately? asking if a A4 A5 B8.5 Airbag will fit correctly on the RS steering wheel.the mounting looks the same, but maybe it could be different at the airbag connectors. Thanks!
Well if your talking about the airbags shown in the picture, only the top one will fit a flat bottom wheel - the physical mounting fittings are different.
Regarding the actual airbag connectors, they are keyed differently, depending on the model.

john :hi:

Reactions: arditbr
Well if your talking about the airbags shown in the picture, only the top one will fit a flat bottom wheel - the physical mounting fittings are different.
Regarding the actual airbag connectors, they are keyed differently, depending on the model.

john :hi:
what do you think about this Steering Wheel, its Round but has the Airbag mounting like the Flat one. I Have the S line Round Steering Installed and looking to get this , but thinking if i can buy a A4 A5 Airbag and attach to it(mounting looks same), will my harness be useful? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1673484914550.png
    1673484914550.png
    533 KB · Views: 176
The airbag is a critical safety device, and as such I’m not really in a position to say whether the A4/5 airbag will work for your car or not.
Not all airbags are created equally, even if they look similar, and the wrong airbag can prove fatal if deployed.
The wheel in your picture does show a mounting that’s similar to the flat bottom airbag.

John :hi:

The airbag is a critical safety device, and as such I’m not really in a position to say whether the A4/5 airbag will work for your car or not.
Not all airbags are created equally, even if they look similar, and the wrong airbag can prove fatal if deployed.
The wheel in your picture does show a mounting that’s similar to the flat bottom airbag.

Hi John, can I ask what was required in regards to info to get the right airbag for your RS7 wheel? If I’m buying the wheel from a vehicle that is being used for spares will I need the VIN AND reg the wheel came off?

Hi John, can I ask what was required in regards to info to get the right airbag for your RS7 wheel? If I’m buying the wheel from a vehicle that is being used for spares will I need the VIN AND reg the wheel came off?
Hi Jiten,

No need for VIN or registration, you just need to be sure that the donor vehicle was either a C7 or a C7.5 model car. The flat bottom wheel (and airbag) from the A6 or A7 platforms are interchangeable - The badge on the steeling wheel can also be changed.

See my post, item #5 here for the airbag part number.

iI your buying used, you must get the part number confirmed as other airbags (from flat bottom wheels) will not fit - different types of airbags and connectors :scared2:

Last edited:
Thanks pal, so part number is 8K0880201AE 6PS? Doing a quick google search it looks like it’s been replaced with part number 8K0880201AR 6PS. I’ve just purchased a wheel from a 2017 A7 so hoping this fits.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.png
    IMG_0776.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0777.png
    IMG_0777.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 108