A7 shark Fin areal test / replacement advice

Dasdais

Reaction score
Hi Audi Forum
I have a 3.0 TFSI 2011 A7 that thinks it's surfing the waves across the chanel on sat nav and believe shark Fin areal is dead.

Audi have a spare I can borrow to test so I am wondering if you can get to wiring plug through rear headliner reading light or where it would be connected?

Also how do you lower the rear head lining as cannot find any videos or threads anywhere?? Step by step would be much appreciated

Honestly, the best way to solve this is to fit an aftermarket FAKRA GPS antenna, and place it high up, under the dash, and above the glove box. Problem solved In 10 minutes.

Changing the roof antenna is a pain - although you (shouldn’t) have to run new cables as there are connectors at the antenna end. Dropping the roof lining is a nightmare - which is probably why you haven’t found any online how to examples.

Honestly, the best way to solve this is to fit an aftermarket FAKRA GPS antenna, and place it high up, under the dash, and above the glove box. Problem solved In 10 minutes.

Changing the roof antenna is a pain - although you (shouldn’t) have to run new cables as there are connectors at the antenna end. Dropping the roof lining is a nightmare - which is probably why you haven’t found any online how to examples.
Thank you is there a thread on how to install/ connect this mod? Also does this also control Bluetooth connection and DAB as well as NAV?

To drop the headlining you have to go through the boot, taking the pillar trims off both sides etc and you can pull down the back of the headlining just enough to get your hand in and change over the shark fin using the original wiring.
Have had mine changed over twice!

Reactions: RAF_S7 and Dasdais
Thank you is there a thread on how to install/ connect this mod? Also does this also control Bluetooth connection and DAB as well as NAV?
I don't think I've seen a "how to" across any of the forums to change the GPS antenna.

Its a pretty simple job:
  1. Remove the AC control panel (It just pulls out)
  2. Then - if I remember correctly - there is one screw holding the MMI control in place, which you undo then pull the whole MMI unit forward
  3. The FAKRA connection is a special connector (I think its either blue or green) - I've not had mine off for a few years - but it will be identical to the replacement FAKRA antenna connector that you'll have purchased
  4. Use some double sided tape/pads and place the GPS head as far up the inside of the dash as possible - most people choose above the glovebox
  5. Connect the plug to the MMI and replace everything, and you should be done.
The roof antenna has telephone antenna (If your using the Audi Phone Box) and the GPS antenna. Radio antennas are embedded in the rear/side window.

I've never removed or dropped the headlining for anything, so can't comment on how easy it is to do or not. Sorry.

If you purchase a replacement spec OEM antenna, it comes primed, but not painted.

Cheers,
John :hi:

Reactions: Eric_RS6