A7 sound clip engine idle - healthy??

MattyV5

Reaction score
In the market for an A7 and a dealer sent me this video clip of the engine noise. Does it sound healthy?

A7 2012 242bhp.

In the market for an A7 and a dealer sent me this video clip of the engine noise. Does it sound healthy?

A7 2012 242bhp.

A7 2012 242bhp.

Diagnosing engine health via video is I would suggest hit or miss to say the least. The video is meaningless in my opinion. Why did he send you the video?

I asked them to. I’d seen so many videos where people were diagnosing chain rattle that I’d thought I’d do the same. Can’t hear a rattle, but thought someone hear would have better knowledge on what to listen out for. Plus when buying a car 200 miles away and having it delivered, it’s best to get all the info you can.

I see. For the cam chain problems you need to hear the engine start up from cold. An engine at idle tells you nothing regarding the cam chain woes. All I could deduce from the video was that someone had cleaned under the bonnet :)

Ah! Ok fair enough. I’ll ask for a start up video. Thank you.

If that is from cold, say 12 hours from the last start up, I would agree that the cam chains etc. sound fine.

Reactions: MattyV5
i had the very same sound when i bought my a7 from audi, i posted a video here too and it doesn't sound any different.