A8 - First time buy, advice wanted!!

Shonky

Reaction score
Hello guys,

First post on the forum, so hello to everybody.

I need some advice on buying an first generation, pre-facelift A8.

I work as a car designer and have always had trouble choosing the right car, mainly due to the styling of the car or the image the car portrays.

I'm looking for an A8 for the commute to work and maybe the odd weekend trip. Not a massive amount of miles per year, perhaps 10,000 - 15,000.

I don't have a great deal of money to spend, £4000 is my limit, but it still looks like I can get a lot of car for the money.

I'm looking at '96 / '97 90k-100k 2.8 V6 quattro's. Maybe a sport? Before everyone says 'get a 4.2 V8, or get an S8!' I can't afford it!

So that's the car I want. Am I mad looking at one with high miles and that cheap? What problems am I looking for on a car that age? - quattro problems, engine/gearbox, etc?

I really want a decent car, high miles or not, which won't give me any trouble. I'd be really grateful of your advice.

I've read with interest the previous posts from owners of A8 and S8's of different age, spec, power, etc. but they don't seem to consider cars for less money for first time buyers.

Plus, if, and only and if, I got the V8, has anybody attempted a conversion to LPG?? If so, does anyone know of a reputable company to do the work? Only then will I consider the 4.2 V8!!

Cheers guys,

Let me know.

Alex.

this is the most reputable company i have come across

http://www.autogas4u.com/

the guy is old school quality above cheap badly done job, gave me an initial quote of 1500 to do my fathers jag, still have to follow it up, he has done v10 motorhome before audi a8 v8 wont be a problem, he has done hydrualic suspension conversion on my weekend car buick and i can't fault his work, he wont let it leave unless it is done right.

Hi Shonky

Paul Waterloo has a website www.audipages.com , we on another site use it PW's site as our bible. Get on there first, there's buying guides and up-grades galore. LPG prolly wont be on there cause he's an American (we dont hold that against him) and the price of fuel out there!

Some of the guys on www.tyesmoke.net have gone LPG. A8/S8 action on the web at tyresmoke is far more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

Yo! George is that your Audi I see on Autotrader for sale, if so whats going down big guy?? Why the change, thats one storming car...

No not mine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But if I dont get some diamonds sold a bit sharpish mine might be in the AT! The TAX Man wants his dosh and is getting unpleasant! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mines just turned 80k, what do the want for the one in AT

Hi George,

Its a 2000 model with twin Cobra pipes in stainless at the back, 20" Lorinser Alloys, 147k miles on the clock serviced at Audi except 1@ Amd cars and they're looking for £12k for the car...

Oh? My sig says thats mines a '96 3.7Spt... What made you think that it might be mine?
5question.gif

Stupid thought really George I guess, I was sure yours had the Lorinser Alloys fitted to her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif, must have been wrong... Doh! Sorry mate... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

No you're obviously very clever. Our car could use new wheels! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i bought my a8 4.2 with lpg fitted wich was done by the previous owner,it returns me 22 mpg and i pay 39p per litre from doncaster,compared to unleaded it works out at about 80 to 100 miles on a tenner depending on how i drive it but the system wich he had fitted switches over to petrol at 3.900rpm.there is a loss of torque on lpg and a noticeable kick when it switches over but sound for cruising about and around town