About to buy but want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. :)

LaurenP

Reaction score
Hi eveyone I think I found the car I wanted. It is the Audi A3 2.0 TDI S Line 5dr S tronic £24,962. I went to my local audi with my mom but in all honestly she is clueless just like me but what can I do lol. Also the car wasn't in the showroom. :witless:

The sales lady said it has virtual cockpit but I didn't ask the rest because I forgot. She printed me off this http://imgur.com/gallery/PWSlkra

As you can see the "features" section it does not say anything about virtual cockpit and the rest of the specs? What is ABS/EBD, ASR, EDL etc?

What should I ask or look for?

Is the car worth the money? She also said this is a brilliant deal because blah blah blah but thats what they all say right? also may someone find the page for the car because maybe the website will show the rest of the specs etc? I cannot find it anywhere:(

I really appreciate the help everyone :)

Attachments

• 15246806689285718514115392125598.jpg
    15246806689285718514115392125598.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Those are all standard features. That was a "sales" lady?...I doubt she was in sales with that presentation

Hi there, do you definitely need a diesel? How many miles are you gonna do a year? to be honest for that kind of money I would be looking at Audi used approved. Have you looked at deals on the Audi used website to compare?

Hi there, do you definitely need a diesel? How many miles are you gonna do a year? to be honest for that kind of money I would be looking at Audi used approved. Have you looked at deals on the Audi used website to compare?
Hi I don't mind what fuel tbh. 10k+ miles and yes I have but she said this one is the best one because it has the best specs but I cannot find all the specs hence why I want to check it on the website but I can't find it :(

If you are doubting what the dealer has told you to do with optional extras I’d suggest calling Audi UK’s main customer services as long as you have the reg they can check exactly how the car was spec’ed when it left the factory.

All dealers will give you the hard sell about how good the deal is your getting in reality they can afford to throw in some extras or discount a price further. A lower offer of £1000/£500 is sometimes worth a try and it can never hurt to ask. Also, have a look at a nationwide search on the used approved Audi website for the spec you are after and use that as indicator as to whether the car is well priced, prices vary from London to Newcastle for instance.

You can search approved used Audis here.

https://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/audi-approved-used.html

put in the spec you want and it will show the used cars around the dealerships and the prices they are asking.

Have you considered new? it can work out cheaper depending on how you are financing it.

If you go on car wow , orange wheels sites and enter what you want, they contact main dealers to come up with the best offers on new cars for you.

I would avoid a diesel personally. Go for petrol unless you're doing mega mileage.

Reactions: Lehn, Joetidman and KenL
I would avoid a diesel personally. Go for petrol unless you're doing mega mileage.
Second this, especially with the way diesel seems to be going in the UK. My Dad has got the 1.5 petrol engine in his A3 and it’s very fuel efficient and quick enough too, may even even be cheaper than a 2.0 diesel.

Reactions: Lehn, Joetidman and KenL
https://www.jardinemotors.co.uk/audi/used-cars/8513721-audi-a3-2.0-tdi-s-line-5dr-s-tronic/

Looks to have virtual cockpit, privacy glass and cruise control as extras, the other stuff on the long list is standard and I really don't know why they list it all.
It depends on what you want in a car and not really worth buying diesel unless you are doing more than 15-18000 miles a year.
Do you really want that grey colour?
Thank you! Are those specs high tech or really standard? I don't see parking sensors or anything like that though. Is it worth it though? I do drive alot.

What's wrong with nana Gray? Be honest.

Hi eveyone I think I found the car I wanted. It is the Audi A3 2.0 TDI S Line 5dr S tronic £24,962. I went to my local audi with my mom but in all honestly she is clueless just like me but what can I do lol. Also the car wasn't in the showroom. :witless:

The sales lady said it has virtual cockpit but I didn't ask the rest because I forgot. She printed me off this http://imgur.com/gallery/PWSlkra

As you can see the "features" section it does not say anything about virtual cockpit and the rest of the specs? What is ABS/EBD, ASR, EDL etc?

What should I ask or look for?

Is the car worth the money? She also said this is a brilliant deal because blah blah blah but thats what they all say right? also may someone find the page for the car because maybe the website will show the rest of the specs etc? I cannot find it anywhere:(

I really appreciate the help everyone :)
Looks a nice well spec'd car. If you can afford it, and want it, then go for it. It was about £32,600 OTR when new so saving £6k.

Thank you! Are those specs high tech or really standard? I don't see parking sensors or anything like that though. Is it worth it though? I do drive alot.

Rear parking sensors are standard.

It has rear parking sensors that will beep but not front so won't display the distance from objects on the middle screen.

Each to their own on the grey, I think it looks like primer and is fairly dull. Look at one in Daytona grey, a real classy colour.

Is it worth it though? It is if you can afford it and enjoy cars. For someone who sees cars as merely transport then probably not.
If you do enjoy driving though, please try a 1.5 TFSI petrol before you buy a diesel. It will feel more lively and less front heavy. It will be cheaper and only use fractionally more fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally

Nothing ! Its a great colour. Depending on the light it can look anything from slate grey to weird brown. I have it and love it !

Daytona is nice but very common !

The car is 2nd hand so, while your getting a saving its mainly because its lost 20% VAT. This is a good thing as its already taken the biggest hit of depreciation. It has 6k miles on it too.

Looking at the pics its a standard S Line with the VC added. A simple way to judge how good value is it - total up the cost of

Standard sportback S Line + Metallic Paint + S Tronic + Tech Pack Advanced (virtual cockpit) - 20% Thats the on the road price less the VAT

BTW - WHAT is an active Bonnet ??

It has rear parking sensors that will beep but not front so won't display the distance from objects on the middle screen.

Each to their own on the grey, I think it looks like primer and is fairly dull. Look at one in Daytona grey, a real classy colour.

Is it worth it though? It is if you can afford it and enjoy cars. For someone who sees cars as merely transport then probably not.
If you do enjoy driving though, please try a 1.5 TFSI petrol before you buy a diesel. It will feel more lively and less front heavy. It will be cheaper and only use fractionally more fuel.
Oh I see thank you. Thank you.

Btw is it called ‘nano’ grey or just grey? Sorry for the dumb questions I just want to make sure :wink new:

Do you have any reccomendations? I wouldn’t mind checking them out. I have no idea when it comes to cars in generally hence why I created this thread lol :wink:

Sorry for not replying to everyone’s comment. I don’t know how to multi quote and i am on my slow phone.

Nothing ! Its a great colour. Depending on the light it can look anything from slate grey to weird brown. I have it and love it !

The car is 2nd hand so, while your getting a saving its mainly because its lost 20% VAT. This is a good thing as its already taken the biggest hit of depreciation. It has 6k miles on it too.

Looking at the pics its a standard S Line with the VC added. A simple way to judge how good value is it - total up the cost of

Standard sportback S Line + Metallic Paint + S Tronic + Tech Pack Advanced (virtual cockpit) - 20% Thats the on the road price less the VAT

Thank you. It is called nano grey and not grey right?

What do you mean standard S line? What’s the difference between the standard and the higher up one?

“Standard sportback S Line + Metallic Paint + S Tronic + Tech Pack Advanced (virtual cockpit) - 20% Thats the on the road price less the VAT”
Is it good? For the price? Do I need any other specs or is that price around right?

This is a bit of misconception....deprecation and VAT are in no way related. The price is purely determined by supply and demand.

A dealer can sell a used car for whatever price market conditions dictate. The reason a nearly new car is cheaper than a new car is because no one will buy a nearly new car when they can buy a new car for the same price...they have to lower the price to sell it. Whether this is >20% will depend on discounts available and whether used cars are selling well or not.

Often, dealers have nearly new cars up on the forecourt for more than you can buy a new car with a good discount. They count on buyers who are unaware of the larger discounts that are possible from using online brokers and the like.

Reactions: davc, Bells and Matt Titanium
Or to put it another way "popular" - especially when you come to sell.
Nano does look fresh and different but needs the BSP in my opinion. But it's your car so if you like it that's all that really matters.
If you hit a pedestrian something explodes and lifts the bonnet a bit to cushion the unfortunate person from hitting the hard bits underneath.

Or to put it another way "popular" - especially when you come to sell.
Nano does look fresh and different but needs the BSP in my opinion. But it's your car so if you like it that's all that really matters.

If you hit a pedestrian something explodes and lifts the bonnet a bit to cushion the unfortunate person from hitting the hard bits underneath.
What is BSP? :ghost:

I would echo the advice above. I would avoid diesels (although I always have so I am biased...!) as the running costs based on 10k miles is unlikely to be much compared to an efficient petrol (like the 1.5TFSI). The deprecation is probably going to be a lot worse though given how unpopular diesels are currently, so overall the diesel will probably end up more expensive. Unless of course the diesel is much cheaper than an equivalent petrol..? Given that one you've listed is at £24k, it seems like they are still trying to sell them at a premium?

Also agree that some high spec nearly new cars have higher prices than you can get with a factory order with a good discount. Use sites like Coast2Coast to see what discounts are possible and compare that to the list price on the used car. I would want it to be a fair bit cheaper than this personally.

How you intend on buying might also shape your decision. If cash, it can pay to pretend to need their finance to secure higher discount and free servicing, then just settle the finance in full within 14days and pay no interest. If using car finance, then you can get more competitive rates on new cars compared to used. Worth looking at the total interest paid on car finance deals (the one where you have a final balloon payment), as it works out much more expensive compared to traditional personal loans.

And yes...don't trust a single word the salesperson says :p

Reactions: davc and Bells
Oh I see thank you. Thank you.

Btw is it called ‘nano’ grey or just grey? Sorry for the dumb questions I just want to make sure :wink new:

Do you have any reccomendations? I wouldn’t mind checking them out. I have no idea when it comes to cars in generally hence why I created this thread lol :wink:
Yes, Nano, but I prefer your name 'nana' :wink:
It's difficult to recommend a car for someone when we have no idea of your likes and circumstances. If you aren't that interested in cars you can get something that does the same for far less money, an Audi A3 is just a VW Golf / Seat Leon in a posh frock. Even a Skoda Octavia will do the same for far less money. But will be worth less when you want rid.
All I would suggest is not to rush in and look and try as many different cars as you need to to end up with something that suits you. Don't be afraid of or listen too much to the sales people, their primary endeavour is to sell cars in the shortest possible time. They are however there and employed to show you, explain, let you test drive etc.
What is BSP? :ghost:
Black styling pack, now known as Black Edition which is an SLine with black window surrounds, black front grille, black rear diffuser, rear privacy glass, and includes Bang and Olufsen sound system. If you like listening to music the clarity and volume of this sound system is something else.

Last edited:
£259 discount? Is that a joke?

Reactions: SamR92, davc, Bells and 1 other person
I agree with Dr Eskimo that car is overpriced.

Decide what spec you would like, get a few quotes from the likes of carwow, orange wheels, coast to coast etc and take them in and ask dealers in your area if they will match it or get within say a few hundred pounds.

If they don't, walk away and try elsewhere or go with a broker.

Whatever you do, don't give them an easy sell!

Reactions: NevMan
Agree with the above. Download a brochure and read the print off it. That will give you all the info on what’s standard, differences between models, options etc.

I also agree that you should look at a 1.5tfsi - beautiful engine.

From your post it looks like you haven’t had a test drive. Make sure you get one - a good long one, not just round the block. And insist on a test drive on your own for an hour or two at least.

The Audi dealerships across the country have loads of these cars to choose from. Don’t be tempted to hurry into buying a car.

Reactions: NevMan
I would echo the advice above. I would avoid diesels (although I always have so I am biased...!) as the running costs based on 10k miles is unlikely to be much compared to an efficient petrol (like the 1.5TFSI). The deprecation is probably going to be a lot worse though given how unpopular diesels are currently, so overall the diesel will probably end up more expensive. Unless of course the diesel is much cheaper than an equivalent petrol..? Given that one you've listed is at £24k, it seems like they are still trying to sell them at a premium?

Also agree that some high spec nearly new cars have higher prices than you can get with a factory order with a good discount. Use sites like Coast2Coast to see what discounts are possible and compare that to the list price on the used car. I would want it to be a fair bit cheaper than this personally.

How you intend on buying might also shape your decision. If cash, it can pay to pretend to need their finance to secure higher discount and free servicing, then just settle the finance in full within 14days and pay no interest. If using car finance, then you can get more competitive rates on new cars compared to used. Worth looking at the total interest paid on car finance deals (the one where you have a final balloon payment), as it works out much more expensive compared to traditional personal loans.

And yes...don't trust a single word the salesperson says :p
Hi Doctor :)
I checked carwow, orange and coast and I cant find anything cheap. Most of them are over £24k :(
Am I missing something here?

I want

S Line
Pref 2.0
New facelift
5DR
and most of the good tech and no cockpit.

I selected all that and the average price is £28k? That is way above my budget :(
I am thinking to give them a big deposit lets say 8k and monthly £250 for 4 years? Ballon payment should be less than £5k if my maths is correct. I knopw people dont like ballons but what is the best option? is this ok? honestly i am kinda confused right now lol#

EDIT I FOUND SOME without Virtual cockpit
https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/audi/a3/a3-sportback/automatic/url-1_47-list.htm#/i/s|10,AAAO|24,S line|91,08,07|94,A|1024,52.52095,-1.81425,200,QjI0IDBQTCwgU3ByaW5ndGhvcnBlIFJvYWQsIEJpcm1pbmdoYW0sIFdlc3QgTWlkbGFuZHMsIEVuZ2xhbmQ|1070,2017|1120,16|1121,20/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,U

This one is the cheapest one with virtual cockpit https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...|1120,16|1121,20|1209,Zi7/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,U
this one is £1k+ cheaper but what about the specs?

Which ones are better than my original one? Appreciate the help :D

Last edited:
I don’t think you are missing anything re. the price. You Re looking at a premium brand - they are expensive cars.

As others have said, don’t really understand why you are looking for a diesel. And why are you looking for a 2.0l?

I think you need to get out and do some test drives. I am sure you would change your mind about a load of things.

Reactions: KenL
I checked carwow, orange and coast and I cant find anything cheap. Most of them are over £24k :(

I want

S Line
Pref 2.0
New facelift
5DR

I selected all that and the average price is £28k? That is way above my budget :(
I am thinking to give them a big deposit lets say 8k and monthly £250 for 4 years? Ballon payment should be less than £5k if my maths is correct. I knopw people dont like ballons but what is the best option? is this ok? honestly i am kinda confused right now lol#

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/audi/a3/a3-sportback/automatic/url-1_47-list.htm#/i/s|10,AAAO|24,S line|91,08,07|94,A|1024,52.52095,-1.81425,200,QjI0IDBQTCwgU3ByaW5ndGhvcnBlIFJvYWQsIEJpcm1pbmdoYW0sIFdlc3QgTWlkbGFuZHMsIEVuZ2xhbmQ|1070,2017|1120,16|1121,20/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,U

This one is the cheapest one with virtual cockpit https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...|1120,16|1121,20|1209,Zi7/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,U

Car wow etc are all NEW cars, but with your deposit (£5k) you will easily get a brand new A3 for under £250 p/m. As new interest rates are generally 5% or less depending on model, whereas used is often 10%+. Just as an example, a mate of mine got a pretty nicely species S3 (one of the near top spec A3’s) for £249 p/m with a £7k deposit. Got for a PCP deal. You should get the best price on the spec you want on car wow etc then go into the dealer as other have said and tell them your monthly budget. To achieve that they will tell you deposit etc, but get the discounted price locked down 1st.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as above, here is an example from Audi's website, but you could obviously push for much better price.

This one is based on 1.5 TFSI Sline manual over 4 years and 10 000 miles per year, and with £8k as you suggested:

The key with a lot of these models is the dealer deposit contribution, in this case they put £2780 towards deal

https://beta.audi.co.uk/finance-and-offers/pcp-deals.html

Personal Contract Plan representative example for A3 Sportback S line 1.5 TFSI cylinder on demand 150 PS 6-speed

Duration 48 months
47 payments of £187.32
Your deposit £8,000.00

Audi deposit contribution £2,780.00
Retail cash price £27,285.00
Acceptance fee* £0.00
Optional final payment £11,158.70
Option to purchase fee** £10.00
Total amount payable £30,752.74
Total amount of credit £16,505.00
Representative APR 6.40% APR
Rate of interest 6.39% fixed
Average miles per year 10,000

Last edited:
and a 2.0 TFSI as you mentioned that is what you wanted:

Personal Contract Plan representative example for A3 Sportback S line 2.0 TFSI 190 PS 6-speed
Duration 48 months
47 payments of £224.54
Your deposit £8,000.00
Audi deposit contribution £2,780.00

Retail cash price £29,065.00
Acceptance fee* £0.00
Optional final payment £11,454.15
Option to purchase fee** £10.00
Total amount payable £32,797.53
Total amount of credit £18,285.00
Representative APR 6.40% APR
Rate of interest 6.39% fixed
Average miles per year 10,000
Excess mileage (per mile)*** 9.00p

The above is 2.0 TFSI Petrol. If the girl wants a 2.0 and all that :)
Agree should steer clear of diesel unless 15k+ p/a

I want

S Line
Pref 2.0
New facelift
5DR

This one is the cheapest one with virtual cockpit https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/audi/a3/a3-sportback/diesel/automatic/150bhp-front-wheel-drive-grey-1_GBR00097414541.htm#/i/s|10,AAAO|24,S line|91,08,07|94,A|1024,52.52095,-1.81425,200,QjI0IDBQTCwgU3ByaW5ndGhvcnBlIFJvYWQsIEJpcm1pbmdoYW0sIFdlc3QgTWlkbGFuZHMsIEVuZ2xhbmQ|1070,2017|1120,16|1121,20|1209,Zi7/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,U

Nah I doubt you will find a new car discounted with your options to <£24k.

Used cars will be your best bet.

Lol...you probably don’t want my opinion on PCP. I’m notorious for banging on about how I personally think they are a dreadful financial product...!

Can give you more detail to explain why if you want, but I get moaned at for doing it now, so....

Basically the interest charged is much higher than a standard loan of the same rate, and you can get standard loans at much better rates as well, making them much cheaper. The monthlies will be higher, but the total amount paid will be as much as £2/3k less.

Lol...you probably don’t want my opinion on PCP. I’m notorious for banging on about how I personally think they are a dreadful financial product...!

Can give you more detail to explain why if you want, but I get moaned at for doing it now, so....

Basically the interest charged is much higher than a standard loan of the same rate, and you can get standard loans at much better rates as well, making them much cheaper. The monthlies will be higher, but the total amount paid will be as much as £2/3k less.

All depends on circumstance, as was mentioned above about balloon, not available with normal loans. For most of us, it is all about the monthlies, and if PCP over shorter term (3 or less), don't pay much interest, and I have ALWAYS got out of one into another very well (ok except last move, as jumped out of A6 into Q5 after 18 months). But basically a £25k used car will often cost the same/more than £35k+ new car - at least with Audi

I want

S Line
Pref 2.0
New facelift
5DR

I haven't had a search of the different options and good prices, but thought I would pick an example and try and explain the costs to you using different scenarios to help you understand your options.

Using your search criteria, here is a 1.5TFSI I found on AutoTrader for £22,152. I reckon an offer of £21,500 would easily secure it.

According to the Audi Finance calculator, Audi predict it will be worth £11,250 after 48m/40k miles. So if bought for cash, you would spend £21,500, and trade it in to Audi after 48months for £11,250. That makes the total depreciation cost £10,250 over 4yrs. That is stable. Whatever you buy it for, and whatever it is worth in 4years when you sell it is completely independent of how you buy the car (cash, PCP, loan, etc.).

That's the first cost, and usually the biggest cost. The cheaper you get the car, and the more it's predicted to be worth when you sell it, the cheaper this cost will be. Used cars are both cheaper to buy, and depreciate at a slower rate, so will always be cheaper than new cars in terms of depreciation. It's a mathematical certainty 99% of the time.

If you only have £8k in capital, then you are obviously looking to borrow the remaining £13,500, so your next cost is the cost of the finance (interest). You can either borrow the money from Audi direct, or use a high street bank.

Audi offer two types of loans, a Hire Purchase loan (HP) or a Personal Contract Plan (PCP). Both are just ways of borrowing that £13,500, but have different structures. Used car finance from Audi is charged at a high rate of around 12.8%. You can get this lower (they ran promotions offering 5.9% on used car finance), but we will work off this for illustration. Basically the take home is to avoid Audi finance for used cars...they're rubbish!

A HP is just like a standard loan where you pay off the entire amount borrowed and have nothing to pay at the end of 48months. You own the car outright. On the above this would be £356 per month, and will cost you about £3,600 in interest. So if you put down £8,000, paid £356 for 48months you would have paid £24,732 to own the car. You sell it for the predicted trade in price of £11,250, then the car has cost you £13,838.
Basically the £10,250 we calculated for the depreciation cost + the interest of the finance of £3,600!

A PCP has the balloon payment which you don't pay off, but you still pay interest on it. In this case, you are paying £175 per month, but will cost you £6,000 in interest. So in this case, you put £8,000 down, make 47 payments of £175, which is £16,225, and that's it, as the car's value is the same as the balloon payment, you just trade the car in and pay no more or no less.
Again, this is just the £10,250 depreciation cost + the interest of the finance of £6,000!

(Why is the interest so much higher compared to the HP, despite being the same 12.8% APR? Because a PCP is effectively two loans. The first is a standard personal loan where you pay the difference between the amount you are borrowing (£13,500) and the balloon payment (£11,250). On this part you are paying interest and capital (£2,250). As you don't pay down any of the balloon payment, the second part of the PCP loan is effectively an interest only loan on the balloon payment (£11,250).)

Finally you have high street bank loans. There are quite a few banks offering 3% APR on loans between £7,500 and £15,000 (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cheap-personal-loans#75k15k). These can be hard to get, but assuming a good credit score 4% is quite manageable. Let's go with 5% to be safe.

£13,500 borrowed at 5% APR over 48months will cost you £310 per month and cost you £1,390. This means total cost of depreciation + interest is £11,640. Cheaper than Audi's HP by £2,200, and cheaper than Audi's PCP by £4,585.

So what about a new car of the same spec, with good discount using Audi's APR of 6.4%...how much more expensive is this compared to the used car with a personal loan at 5% that cost us £11,640 over 48months?

Well a 1.5TFSI S-Tronic S-Line with Daytona paint has a RRP of £29,385. Coast2Coast gives me a discount of £4063, making it £25,322. With £8k deposit I need to finance £17,322 on a 48month PCP. That would cost me £193 per month with a balloon payment of £11,900. Again, assuming the car is worth the balloon payment, that would mean spending £8,000 + 47 payments of £193 = £17,071.

So actually this is more expensive than any of the options we have looked at, even the used PCP at 12.8% APR.

Is having lower monthly payments and a new version rather than a 6month old version of exactly the same car worth an extra £5,400....? Only you can answer that.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but hopefully it helps (if you read it all....)! Basically look at calculating the total cost (and you can add servicing, fuel costs, insurance etc.) when trying to determine what the best method is for you. Monthly cost is obviously a consideration, but it's not a good indicator of total cost of ownership (in fact, it's not an indicator at all, which is why everyone is trying to sell you everything based on monthly amounts....!).

Reactions: oaf, the_muzza, Reggieboy71 and 2 others

@DrEskimo . you are bang on with your evaluation of PCP financing, PCP is only good for the dealers pocket. The reason for PCP is to entice people to buy a car at a price they can't really afford but they don't appreciate that until they get to the end of the PCP and can't afford the final payment to own the car, the alternative is to hand the car back and have nothing!

I love PCP as it gives me loads of 2 and 3 year old cars to choose from on the used market for a huge discount.