ABS/brake issue

GeorgieS3

Reaction score
Coming home from work Sunday morning and my abs light came on, and suddenly a grinding/scraping noise from the passenger side brakes. Pulled over and my pads are both touching the disc at the bottom. So they're angled if you get what I mean.
Had to get home which was 60mile. anyway it drives fine but I can't get the pads to come level, or even off the disc. The noise gets worse when I turn left or right, and is bearly noticeable when going straight. To make things even better I'm that flat out with work I don't even have the time to get the wheel off and strip the calliper down. So might be a garage job. But I'd rather know what it's going it for before hand.

Scanned when I got home;

Fault code 00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47): Mechanical Malfunction
Possible Causes
Excessive Air Gap between ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47) and pick-up.
Depending on the equipment this could be on the Rotor or Bolt-on wheel bearing assembly
Damaged, incorrect or rusted pick-up ring
Short Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47)
ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47) Installation
Check the pick-up ring
Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47)
Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left (G47)

I'm thinking the piston isn't going back?
Any help or advise would be great.
Ive got tyres and top mounts ready to fit, and I've ordered a new sensor for piece of mind. Will try and upload a video as well.

It sounds as if you MAY have a binding calliper. What typically happens is that the side of the calliper piston rusts and ceases to slide through the piston seal smoothly which causes the seal to twist and jam. This can be caused by age &/or the dust cover degrading and letting water and dirt inside. On top of this is sounds as if your brake pads have worn down to the metal backing plates and that the “slider bolts” allowing the calliper to “float” over the disc MAY also be sticking because of dirt/rust &/or lack of lubricant.

Your only option is to strip the whole lot down and examine/clean and replace as necessary. It sounds as if you definitely need a new set of brake pads and discs. Depending on whether or not the callipers are seized, you may need to either replace or refurbish them (new pistons and rubbers) as well.

It’s possible the ABS wheel sensor issue is simply related to a binding calliper. A binding brake can affect rotational speed very slightly and fool the ABS system.

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop

It sounds as if you MAY have a binding calliper. What typically happens is that the side of the calliper piston rusts and ceases to slide through the piston seal smoothly which causes the seal to twist and jam. This can be caused by age &/or the dust cover degrading and letting water and dirt inside. On top of this is sounds as if your brake pads have worn down to the metal backing plates and that the “slider bolts” allowing the calliper to “float” over the disc MAY also be sticking because of dirt/rust &/or lack of lubricant.

Your only option is to strip the whole lot down and examine/clean and replace as necessary. It sounds as if you definitely need a new set of brake pads and discs. Depending on whether or not the callipers are seized, you may need to either replace or refurbish them (new pistons and rubbers) as well.

It’s possible the ABS wheel sensor issue is simply related to a binding calliper. A binding brake can affect rotational speed very slightly and fool the ABS system.

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop

Thank you retroman, my only concern is that I replaced discs and pads roughly 6months ago, so they're not worn down to the metal. You can see this on the video I've got but it's not uploading for some reason.
I'm getting a hell of a lot of brake dust and when feeling behind the disc I can feel what can only be described as a grooved that's been worn into it.
Hopefully I get a spare hour before the weekend so I can have a look, if not its going to the garage.

I can only assume it's some sort of calliper issue - the inside brake pad is the one in direct contact with the calliper piston. Sometimes an old brake hose can imitate the symptom of a seized/sticking calliper as they collapse internally and cause restricted brake fluid flow, that's why if people are changing an old calliper it's often a good idea for fork out another £10 and stick a new brake hose on at the same time. Best of luck sorting it.