ABS enagaging at slow speed

S3JGX

Reaction score
Hi guys, so as the title states I've been having an issue with my ABS. At slow speeds the abs kicks in, can feel it in the pedal and can hear the sound of the pump. It doesn't flash the abs symbol on the dash however which is odd

I had the cars brakes bled last week and its still doing it, I suggested doing the bleed on vcds as ive seen a lot of people on here suggest but the guy used quite a large pressure bleeder. Admittedly there was quite some air in the lines and even a blockage on my LF, I have 18z front brakes and with them having the 2 bleed niples at top the inner one when opened didnt let any fluid out. I had to press down hard on the brake pedal along with the pressure bleeder going and whatever it was it blew out, also had some dirty dark fluid come out the LR

Now my question is, has anyone came across this before? Is there a way to bleed the MC and ABS pump themselves incase there's any air there or would any air of been forced out with the pressure bleeder

Apologies for the very long post but hoping someone may be able to help

Thanks
Josh

You can bleed the MC using the bleed nipples on it - VCDS for ABS pump bleed.

It sounds more likely that you have some crap around your ABS rings or they are damaged though.

You shouldn't have to operate your brakes while doing a pressure bleed - the pressure from the pressure bleeder should be enough... If you haven't already, flush fresh fluid through everything, make sure to bleed the MC and then try your brakes out to see if you need a bleed of ABS via VCDS

Sent from my CPH2023 using Tapatalk

Air in the system does not cause the ABS system to kick in. Your problem is with the ABS sensors. One of the sensors is not picking up a good wheel speed signal. This can be down to a faulty sensor or rust/damage on the ABS reluctor rings. If you have VCDS you can monitor the ABS wheel speed sensors and you will be able to see if one is reading low.

Thank you both for your replies, I do have VCDS so I will do a test later on when im home and see if any of the sensors are out. I shouldn't imagine it being one of the fronts as I replaced rings and abs sensors a couple of months ago with brand new parts when I did my bearings but I will find out later

Thanks again, its something that has really done mt head in trying to figure out as with the abs light not flashing when doing it I didnt think it could be a bad sensor

Thank you both for your replies, I do have VCDS so I will do a test later on when im home and see if any of the sensors are out. I shouldn't imagine it being one of the fronts as I replaced rings and abs sensors a couple of months ago with brand new parts when I did my bearings but I will find out later

Thanks again, its something that has really done mt head in trying to figure out as with the abs light not flashing when doing it I didnt think it could be a bad sensor
Were the parts replaced for the abs sensors oem or patent parts my experience is they can play up with after market ones?

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network

Were the parts replaced for the abs sensors oem or patent parts my experience is they can play up with after market ones?

They were i believe patent parts. I made the very stupid mistake of realising I didn't order oem ones once the hubs were already off the car, stripped down and new bearings and hubs pressed in so I had to call closest place with them in stock

They were i believe patent parts. I made the very stupid mistake of realising I didn't order oem ones once the hubs were already off the car, stripped down and new bearings and hubs pressed in so I had to call closest place with them in stock
I will be watching The Thread with interest to see what happens when you test with vcds good luck

Did the test on vcds. Im going to say its the front sensors. It was showing that the starting wheel speed was

0 FRONT LEFT
5 FRONT RIGHT
1 rear left
1 rear right

Then the current wheel speed when moving the front left didnt pick up until 9kmh

Will be ordering 2 new sensors and hope that fixes it

Reactions: MPH
Did the test on vcds. Im going to say its the front sensors. It was showing that the starting wheel speed was

0 FRONT LEFT
5 FRONT RIGHT
1 rear left
1 rear right

Then the current wheel speed when moving the front left didnt pick up until 9kmh

Will be ordering 2 new sensors and hope that fixes it
Did you check the reluctor Rings