Abs fault

rodenal

Reaction score
Well for some time now i've had my abs light on - vag com comes up with an intermittent fault which originally suggested i needed a new sensor - i replaced this but light still on.

This was about 2 months ago and ive only just got round to checking the rest of the system over(i know im lazy). The wiring is all fine and all of the abs rings appear to be running straihgt and at a continuous distance from the sensors.

I'm now at a bit of a loss with what to try next - not having abs is fine for the moment because im better than the system in the dry anyway, but i dont fancy running about in the winter with it like that and i doubt mot man in august would be impressed.

Answers on a postcard....

break in the wiring somewhere or water in the connection?

I've checked all the wiring and seems to be fine - i thought about water but its been months now and there's been long dry spells which i would expect to sort that out, light's on all the time.

Its strange i cant figure out what to look at next - gonna give it to my mate to check over but he's not a vag mechanic so not sure what more he can really do.

what's the code on VAG-COM?

You looked at the fuse-box on top of the battery?

Tallpaul said:
what's the code on VAG-COM?

You looked at the fuse-box on top of the battery?

yea check the fuse box

i had this fault for a very long time, and it was the fuse which needed replacing

Good call i forgot all about that will check tomorrow- very occasionally the light's off tho, and when it is the abs kicks in with a grind, just like a sensor's ******. I havent checked the wiring at the battery right enough so ill give that a go

exact fuse number is in ur manual bud - its a mini box that sits right on top of the battery

k17rpo said:
HAHA funny guy.

which fuse in particular

Well it wont hurt to check all of them would it, because any one that has gone needs replacing and they take about 3 seconds each to check while in situ.

Quite often the fuses on the battery box don't actually blow...

Water can get between the battery and the fuse box and cause things to melt, the fuses may appear intact but the contacts beneath them may be damaged.

A4Quattro said:
you can still tell by using a probe.

Yes, you can.

But i'd assumed that the majority of people would just inspect the fuse to see if it had blown or not ;)

A4Quattro said:
Well it wont hurt to check all of them would it, because any one that has gone needs replacing and they take about 3 seconds each to check while in situ.

I thought this was all about an ABS problem and not just random electrical faults, so why would checking fuses for other electrical items help cure and ABS fault?

Because if theres a dodgy connection in the fuse box itll short the abs circuit and cause the light.

In any case ive checked and all is well at the battery side of things too

k17rpo said:
I thought this was all about an ABS problem and not just random electrical faults, so why would checking fuses for other electrical items help cure and ABS fault?

What fault do you have with your ABS?

I have a fault with my ABS similar to rodenals, every now and again, not regularly the light comes on. No conditions which are common between occurances.
The ABS does work when the light is out and some idiot decided to put my ABS to the test in the wet the other day, he was just lucky I was alert and managed to stop the car skidding to slow it down.

Tallpaul said:
What fault do you have with your ABS?

No idea, intermittently when i start the car and drive off the red exclamation mark in circle comes up and beeps, i have had it on a machine an it said front near side wheel sensor but i replaced this already.

That doesnt sound like ABS, my ABS light is orange and has ABS written in it, it never beeps when it comes on either, try putting it to the test, find a stretch of empty (private!) road and when its wet slam on the anchors. Although maybe the lights are different on facelift models I dunno.

nah its not its the brake fluid warning light