abs module fail.

eddom1971

Reaction score
hi guys . bit of advice please cheers.

so last Saturday i got the warning lights on my dash within seconds of starting the car .
big red flashing brake warning . esp/abs lights on continuously and handbrake light flashing.
so after vcds scan i have a problem.

Address 03: ABS Brakes (-----) Labels: None
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 CD HW: 1K0 907 379 AD
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H35 0120
Revision: 00H35001
Coding: 1342401249220002C80D02ED921D00823800
Shop #: WSC 59051 002 1048576
VCID: 76E265DBC1AB21F1C3-8022
1 Fault Found:
16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error
014 - Defective
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101110
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 206
Mileage: 211218 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2020.02.08
Time: 15:45:05
Freeze Frame:
Count: 0
Count: 32768
Count: 4608
Count: 96

so after hours of trawling the interweb it seems i have a few options
A; take to stealers and get a new abs unit fitted costing £1000+ ... not really an option money wise at the moment.
B; remove the control module myself and send to be repaired . cost around the £200 mark +vat+shipping
C; refurbished module with 2 year warranty from same company that repairs them £350+vat+delivery. but will need coding to car.
or
D; source a used unit. either fit the complete unit or just use the control module and code to the car .
now this is were im a bit stumped .
there are literally thousands of these units for sale on the net all with different part numbers from vag cars.
my part number according to vcds is HW: 1K0 907 379 AD im guessing the AD is the revision number so do i need the exact same or can i use a different 1 eg AC/BD. and so on .
also while reading up i found out different modules allow for activating mods like hill hold assist which i dont have .

any advice would be great
cheers

eddo

I got my cars abs module replaced for a free in a recall. Check to see if your car is due mine is a 58 plate facelift.

Cheers

hi m8 . checked with audi and they are saying my vin is not on the recall list . they told me to contact liverpool audi (jardine motors) who did an ecu software update i think it was a couple of years ago .
they basically said no chance even when i explained i bought the car a couple of months after the recall was issued in 2017 and the letter might have gone to the previous owner.
was it a certain revision of module that needed updating ?
cheers

eddo

Just had mine done at ECU testing in derbyshire £200 plus vat, fixed and returned in 5 days, now back on car and all good

Just had mine done at ECU testing in derbyshire £200 plus vat, fixed and returned in 5 days, now back on car and all good

hi m8 did you do it yourself ? . i can see the abs pump under the battery tray.
did you have to remove the whole pump unit to remove the module or is it easy to just take the module off the pump without disconnecting all the pipes..?

cheers

eddo

Did mine myself, remove battery and battery tray, i had to send the whole unit. Disconnect all pipes and the multiplug, undo 1 bolt and slide it off the other 2 rubber mounts. Check on the ECU testing website if you need to send the whole unit though. Some part numbers mean you only need the black electronic module sending. I was unlucky and had to send it all. The module is removed by disconnecting the multiplug and removing 4 torq screws, awkward to get to but doable.
Mines all back on and working now, even bleeding the brakes was a piece of p1ss, lots told me they were a nightmare to get all air out but literally took 2 of us 10 mins using the conventional method, didnt need vcds etc. Checked brakes on my mates MOT rollers and all good. Nice firm pedal no sponginess at all.

Great stuff m8 . I will attempt to remove just the module on Wednesday on my day off..
I may have to in through the wheel arch to reach the module .
The weird thing is even though vcds is saying abs module defective the abs is actually working i tested it in an empty car park last night.

cheers

eddo

cheers m8 . just had a look at the website..
looks like its i will have to send the whole thing to be sorted
thanks for your help..

eddo

Ok guys . So after much research on the web i decided to go down the second hand route .
I bought the ABS unit at a local scrappy . cost £45 . removed myself from an 11 plate golf gtd.
Swapping it over wasn't that hard .
I took the cap off the brake fluid reservoir and put the cap off an old sprayer bottle on to keep it air tight.
I undid each pipe going into the unit and popped a rubber bleed nipple cap over each one. Nice fit no leaks .
Only lost about 20ml of fluid . soaked up with an old rag.
New unit installed no problem.
Hooked up vcds and copied long code from original to new unit and added 00 to the end and bingo code accepted.
Codes cleared in vcds.
Did basic settings in vcds and went for a test drive .
Brake pedal was a bit soft so bled the brakes the old fashioned way with my neighbour gently pumping the brake while i bled each corner and kept the reservoir topped up.
Just under a litre of fluid used and all nice and clear.
Now got a good solid peddle best its ever been.
All done no more flashing lights on the dash and no more fault codes.

cheers

eddo

ps old unit on the shelf in the shed so any future problems i can sent if off the get a recon.

Reactions: aqibi2000 and ahtcap