Ad blue leak

Phil73

Reaction score
Earlier today my engine mgmt light came on at 75000 miles, 2016 190bhp tdi sline, thinking it might be def and not driving far much, took it for 40 mile spin down motorway. Halfway back adblue fault light comes on…… get back lift the bonnet and find what must be adblue all round the engine bay….
so question is could it be a pipe into the dpf / engine that has come Lose, incidentally have had the cam belt and water pump replaced only 100 miles ago, and it’s the same side. OR is it something big and expensive.?
booked in to my local mechanic this week to take a look but just wondered if anyone else hear can narrow it down?
0F0B2EB5 5B08 4678 B4BE 2A28C2A5735A

Earlier today my engine mgmt light came on at 75000 miles, 2016 190bhp tdi sline, thinking it might be def and not driving far much, took it for 40 mile spin down motorway. Halfway back adblue fault light comes on…… get back lift the bonnet and find what must be adblue all round the engine bay….
so question is could it be a pipe into the dpf / engine that has come Lose, incidentally have had the cam belt and water pump replaced only 100 miles ago, and it’s the same side. OR is it something big and expensive.?
booked in to my local mechanic this week to take a look but just wondered if anyone else hear can narrow it down? View attachment 244292
Just to let you know that it turned out to be A crack on top of the ad blue pump ( circled).
The part is … wait for it £390 plus vat!!! And currently out of stock and on back order.
My superstar local mechanic sourced one online for less than £150, and 1 hour later and 20 litres of Ad Blue it had leaked, we are back to normal!
Interesting to point out the cause was the top plastic part had cracked, and not a great design really made from plastic. Also we think it got damaged as had to be removed for new cam belt, and can’t help wondering if the stock issue has been caused by lots of cam belt changes as we just happen to be 5 years in to this model and that’s when the belt service life is!

thoughts?

Attachments

• 3456EE16-12CD-41D1-AF5D-C7F1A4CB00E2.jpeg
    3456EE16-12CD-41D1-AF5D-C7F1A4CB00E2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 654
Reactions: spartacus 68
Difficult to determine. VAG group are constantly cutting corners to reduce the overall unit cost. What with diesel-gate currently at $30 billion and still rising. I don't want to go off on a tangent, but panoramic sunroofs made by Webasto that leak like a sieve, rear suspension spring seats (lucky to get 3 years from them before they corrode from the inside out), move to G13 coolant and adding silica pouch in coolant expansion tank (if that splits - adios amigo), powder-coated subframe that will show its age in less than 5 years.

I don't know enough about Adblue system, but it seems the pump is a particularly weak point on threads I've read. If these were Korean cars you'd have the warranty to fall back on. I think early Audi models were recalled to fix pipework or NOx sensors.

Its entirely possible it's been damaged during a cambelt renewal, but for £150 plus labour it could be worse.

Reactions: Phil73
Just to let you know that it turned out to be A crack on top of the ad blue pump ( circled).
The part is … wait for it £390 plus vat!!! And currently out of stock and on back order.
My superstar local mechanic sourced one online for less than £150, and 1 hour later and 20 litres of Ad Blue it had leaked, we are back to normal!
Interesting to point out the cause was the top plastic part had cracked, and not a great design really made from plastic. Also we think it got damaged as had to be removed for new cam belt, and can’t help wondering if the stock issue has been caused by lots of cam belt changes as we just happen to be 5 years in to this model and that’s when the belt service life is!

thoughts?
glad You’ve got it sorted. I’m getting a engine light relating to the pump on the adblue tank and I was under the impression it couldn’t be changed separately
Mines 66 hope I can change the pump only on mine

Reactions: Phil73