Adjustable tie bars - but which?

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Of the various available options on the market, which do we think are the strongest adjustable rear tie-bars for the S3 8L?

I have heard and read experiences of breakages affecting the Forge, KW and S3Dave examples.

Other options include Compbrake, Cookbot and Megan Racing (Australia).

Any knowledgeable experience to share?

Having a set of adjustable bars on the rear of my S3 that were fitted around 18 months ago, I am purely wanting to make sure that I have a robust set-up in which I can have confidence. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bill has been using the cookbot ones recently... made from stainless and seem really well and sturdily made...

I have KW's on mine and they have been fine so far although I am aware that others have had failures with KW I still think there is more to the failures than just the arms themselves... still think failure is a knock on effect from the joints in the upright seizing (which seems to be the reason OE ones are prompted to fail)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: snowy
I've assumed, but never tested the theory, that the lower you go more load is transfered from the upper tie bar to the lower

which would in turn lead to more pressure on joints ..

i spent ages researching tie arms when i bought mine and found most brands have had breakages (some have had lots)!!
the ones i went for were the compbrake ones
i only ever found stories of "a friend of a friend had one break"
no actual situation where it had happened so i went with those. fingers crossed!!!

Finger crossed they work for you and you're spared compbrakes aftersales support ;)

Finger crossed they work for you and you're spared compbrakes aftersales support ;)

:laugh:

Oh Christ, have you experienced that shower of sh*te as well then?

Laughable service from what is considered to be a reputable company.

One of their 6pot calipers split during braking

They didn't want to know

tbh getting a refund on these if they brake on a car usually on track is probably the least of my concern
good to know for the future though!

Thing is I wasn't interested in a refund

I was looking to give feedback to the company about a serious failure

I was expecting concern and interest to see what had happened and why, and this used to improve the product for the future

I wasn't expecting to be told to '**** off' by the MD

Real shame tbh, the Compbrake 6pot's could be an excellent setup with a bit of development

I have KW's on mine and they have been fine so far although I am aware that others have had failures with KW I still think there is more to the failures than just the arms themselves... still think failure is a knock on effect from the joints in the upright seizing (which seems to be the reason OE ones are prompted to fail)

<tuffty/>

Agree - I would suspect that failure/seized hub joints are involved here. I deliberately had mine replaced at the same time as the bars were fitted for that reason.

Cookbot do look good though, and I am now on the waiting list for the next batch. Between now and then though is a trip to Le Mans...

Silver Project do camber arms IIRC and they seem to produce good quality items

I recently got Forge ones and am really impressed with the quality. These came with rubber 'boots' to cover the adjuster bolts as well.